When was Regatta last refurbished?

Wren3

• 3 weeks later...
Spring 2014. We were on its first post-dry dock voyage out of Vancouver.

Can you tell me if Regatta is reasonably stable. We will be sailing down the Pacific coast on our next cruise. I booked a mid ship cabin as my husband is not great in choppy waters. I did not realize how small she is compared to the Riviera until after I booked.

I am more susceptible to movement than my husband is -- he should have been a sailor.

But I cannot guarantee that you won't have problems, anymore than I could guarantee that you would not have problems on one of the larger ships.

I have been in rough waters on Regatta and Insignia (different parts of the world) but also on Marina.

There just are no guarantees. None of these ships are huge ...and even if they were I imagine you might still have a problem in a big storm.

We DID do a trip down the coast (L.A. to Cabo and then inland) when Oceania was new and had no problems. But you didn't indicate where you are starting and ending ...

And it still wouldn't matter in terms of being able to give you an absolute answer.

Maybe someone else can be more definitive ...

Mura

Can you tell me if Regatta is reasonably stable. We will be sailing down the Pacific coast on our next cruise. I booked a mid ship cabin as my husband is not great in choppy waters. I did not realize how small she is compared to the Riviera until after I booked.

Ok as the world turns ( great title for a soap) it creates weather patterns and weather creates currents through the wind and the gyroscopic rotation of the planet.

This creates the giant Pacific current which rotates clockwise. It shifts a bit north to south but always flowing clock wise or south until it hits Japan then it flows north ( still in its clockwise rotation.)

Why do I say this..... because when a ship or any vessel goes against the current they will experience "bucking the current"... and it will be rougher.

If however the ship heads south they will be "going with the flow" and surfing along smoothly

Sailors have a wish of "fair winds and following sea" Your trip down the entire pacific coast north to south will be a joyous smooth ride, maybe a little roll but no pitching and yawing like going south to north.

Regatta is a well built ship with an excellent stability, I find no discernible difference in the ships stability compared to her larger cousins Marina and Riviera . Shipbuilders/designers all calculate the centers of gravity to equalize to the same ratio as to the size of the ship.. So size really does not matter much. Every ship has a CG or sweet spot. I found the best cabins on Regatta to be on deck 7, insides.

Many people psych themselves into a frenzy and actually make then selves sick because they believe they will or might. Having a positive and confident outlook goes a long way to overcoming any difficulty. The human brain is a fantastic thing.

So, fret not Archimedes will be with you all the way....or as my physics professor once said, "just because you dont understand physics doesn't it mean it wont kill you" Knowledge is power.....and now you have it.

Ok as the world turns ( great title for a soap) it creates weather patterns and weather creates currents through the wind and the gyroscopic rotation of the planet.

This creates the giant Pacific current which rotates clockwise. It shifts a bit north to south but always flowing clock wise or south until it hits Japan then it flows north ( still in its clockwise rotation.)

Why do I say this..... because when a ship or any vessel goes against the current they will experience "bucking the current"... and it will be rougher.

If however the ship heads south they will be "going with the flow" and surfing along smoothly

Sailors have a wish of "fair winds and following sea" Your trip down the entire pacific coast north to south will be a joyous smooth ride, maybe a little roll but no pitching and yawing like going south to north.

Regatta is a well built ship with an excellent stability, I find no discernible difference in the ships stability compared to her larger cousins Marina and Riviera . Shipbuilders/designers all calculate the centers of gravity to equalize to the same ratio as to the size of the ship.. So size really does not matter much. Every ship has a CG or sweet spot. I found the best cabins on Regatta to be on deck 7, insides.

Many people psych themselves into a frenzy and actually make then selves sick because they believe they will or might. Having a positive and confident outlook goes a long way to overcoming any difficulty. The human brain is a fantastic thing.

So, fret not Archimedes will be with you all the way....or as my physics professor once said, "just because you dont understand physics doesn't it mean it wont kill you" Knowledge is power.....and now you have it.

Thank you for your detailed answer. We are sailing from LA to Mexico/Baja and back in January. We are on Regatta deck 6 outside. We are used to sailing on QM2 which is vary stable and large. My husband had no problems last year on Riviera to Central America - hoping the weather will be kind in January.

this week we sailed from Bermuda to the East coast it was pretty bumpy one day no where was immune to the pitch & rolling, rock & roll motion of the ocean

bring the sea sick meds that work best for you

even the poor crew were not doing well

this week we sailed from Bermuda to the East coast it was pretty bumpy one day no where was immune to the pitch & rolling, rock & roll motion of the ocean

bring the sea sick meds that work best for you

even the poor crew were not doing well

The Gulf Stream is a powerful current that, yes influenced by the earth motion as the Pacific current also rotates clockwise. However, the North American Continent is now on the west side of the rotation as opposed to the east side as in the Pacific. It is very powerful and to add to the situation the Atlantic /Arctic current comes roaring down ant the 2 collide off close to New Yorks latitude.

Sailing to and from Bermuda you have to cross, at right angles this mix master or a north flowing hitting a south flowing current resulting in confused seas...for Surprise, surprise about 1 day. and you over the Continental shelf and all is well.

I would not go so far as to think everyone would be sick...There will always be some even in the crew, but dont psych your self into getting sick...expecting the worst usually delivers it....