NORO on Nautica

PaulMCO

I guess what miffed us was that no compensation was offered, even when the "red alert" CDC protocol had been invoked 13 out of the 14 days we were on our Riviera cruise. We weren't expecting any money back as we did complete all 14 days, but they could have at least given us 25% credit on our next cruise. If they would have done that, we would have been happy. But to just say in effect, bummer - stuff happens at sea and there was nothing we could do about it, but we hope to see you again on your next cruise - just didn't seem right. Just saying ...

Paul what you have posted is correct re CDC reporting but as we all know, the cruise lines do suffer from Noro in other areas ie Asia and the Med which are not reported as they do not port in the US. CDC protocols are followed however. That is why i questioned this statement as O has had Noro in the Med and Asia in the past and you seem to dismiss it because it is not on the CDC website.

"What is your explanation for the fact that from 2002 when Oceania was founded until very recently there were no incidents of Noro on any of their ships despite their "lax" attitude toward hand sanitizes?"

A lot of stats, but the bottom line in this case is that Oceania was LYING in telling people that there was no Noro on the ship when there was. No excuse for that. SHAME ON THEM !!!

Enbarked Nautica today and we are still restricted by 'gastroenteritis' under the CDC guidelines.

Before we left for our cruise I enquired of Oceania if norovirus was onboard and was informed it was not!

Everyone appears to be using hand sanitizers.

We embarked from A tens as well and re eived a letter upon boarding that there were gastrointestinal issues. Yes, hand sanitizer is everywhere. So far no impact on our experience. Looking forward to a great day on Santorini.

If 30 people have contracted the virus does this not mean that there are approximately 570 healthy people on board , not counting staff ,who are enjoying their cruise. I know we have to practice diligent hygiene but really the amount of time scaring future cruisers seems a little over the top don't you think ??

You should know that on this cruise, from which we debarked yesterday in Athens, we were told that there were only a little more than 400 passengers from Mumbai, and a drastically reduced staff and crew - which was evident in the times it took to be served in the GDR, Polo and Toscana. It took three hours to eat in Polo one night, one course per hour. One had to wait in the Terrace for coffee/tea/salt/pepper - which necessitated trying to get a server's attention, then waiting for him/her to get what you wanted, which often meant a trip to the opposite end of the Terrace or across the GDR. I had maybe four or five hot meals from Mumbai onwards, and eventually gave up, trying for things that would be tasty at room temperature. For all that, the wait staff always did what they could, running around like the proverbial chickens, doing their very best.

Mostly, traveling pair, I wanted you to know that we were not near to a full complement on the Mumbai-Athens leg of this voyage.

What is the current situation on board Nautica? I can only hope that since this thread seems to have gone quiet for the past week that the outbreak is over and everyone is well and enjoying their cruise. I was sorry to read that Marina is now affected.

What is the current situation on board Nautica? I can only hope that since this thread seems to have gone quiet for the past week that the outbreak is over and everyone is well and enjoying their cruise. I was sorry to read that Marina is now affected.

What did you hear about Marina???

Currently onboard the Nautica, Athens to Rome.

On boarding we were advised of problems but since day 2 we are back to normal service.

Shuttle service for Taormina is not available although advertised as the destination.

On boarding we were advised of problems but since day 2 we are back to normal service.

Shuttle service for Taormina is not available although advertised as the destination.

It's always been this way. I first stopped there with Oceania in 09, and had to get a cab to go up there.

Here's the deal, most of the "included shuttles" are provided by the place where you're stopping. If you don't have one there it means the local town has a strong enough draw, and perhaps a strong taxi cartel that keeps them from providing one.

You do realize when you get to Rome(Civitivecchia) that the shuttle will only go to the gates of the port, then it's another 45 miles to Rome. Also the same deal in Livorno, (Florence) if you go there and many other places that cruise ships, (not just Oceania) stop.

This is standard operating practice in many ports. I'm just thankful when they do have a shuttle.

So very happy to read about the cessation of GI protocols. It really does/did make a difference.