The Stigma Against Jeans ??

curtdesilets

I just noticed on CC News that that Disney Cruises is going to allow jeans in their fancy restaurants.

I'm curious what Oceania's policy is on jeans.

My Wife often wears nice jeans with a fancy top and looks amazing. Would the Maitre'D actually ask her to return to our cabin and change her clothes ??

I just do not get the obsession that cruise lines have with banning these things.

Any thoughts??

If they are nice jeans & a nice top seems you are allowed in the GDR with them no problem

My personal opinion

I live in jeans

When going to a nice restaurant or the GDR I do wear some nice dress slacks not nice jeans or designer jeans just nice linen or cotton slacks

I do not know what the aversion is to just wearing something nice to dinner when cruising on Oceania

Life is so casual these days people forget how to dress nice & their manners

YMMV

It is purely up to the discretion of the maître de, totally. I have seen many people turned away from the MDR and Specialties attempting to wear jeans in. Then, some of the jerks want to stand and argue that their jeans are dress jeans.

Why would one want to participate in that? It's really quite simple, wear nice slacks, and/or a skirt if a lady, and enjoy your dinner. I truly don't understand this desire by some to dress to the lowest denomination! :eek:

Jeans, even casual ones if you must wear them, can be worn at any time in the Terrace with no hassle. Or, just sail with Disney and don't be bothered by it all!

The objection to "Jeans" is that the category is so broad and so diverse that they range from a torn knee , rhinestone covered ,tye dyed and junk jeans to $350 a pair of designer labels. which range from hot pink and yellow to coal black and bleach stained..... The term Jeans is so generic and vast, there is no assurance of any level quality or appearance. Jeans also can cover all manner of denim work clothes and "Ben Davis Bib overall "and even coveralls of sorts

Heck , its far more than Levi's. now there are hundreds of vairants. Whereas pant suits, slacks are all within a more defined quality and appearance. Too is jeans in a polite society are not considered proper manners to be worn to up scale gatherings....Dont see many Jeans on lawyers, pilots, politicians, etc......do you

Fine what Disney does...but remember their ships are designed for casual family dinners... I doubt that you could get in "Remy" without a jacket and slacks.... Remember Disney has 3 or 4 restaurants that guests are daily rotated through, I am told. ...... Totally different operation, ambiance and atmosphere than on high end and luxury level lines.

Just to much potential for un-reliable results permitting jeans....

Edited by Hawaiidan

Thank you, pinotlover. Every time we think this topic has been beaten and argued to death, it resurfaces. It's probably the second-most debated topic after the dreaded "children on board."

Perhaps the OP could use the Search This Forum function at the top of the page and do a search for "jeans" here as well as on the Regent board. There, he/she will find everyone's thoughts and opinions previously written before we reopen the debate all over again.

Agree with pinotlover and wonder what the problem is with not wearing jeans to dinner on a cruise line of this caliber? To look on the practical side, jeans in the summer are hot and are heavy to pack at any time of the year.

While one person might look great in jeans, the policy isn't written only for those people. I've seen overalls on people that probably should not be worn in public let alone going to dinner on a cruise ship. The look was akin to what people wear to backyard barbeques (not that the "look" would be any better in a backyard).

IMO, anyone sailing on Oceania should simply follow the dress code -- it isn't that difficult!

Thank you, pinotlover. Every time we think this topic has been beaten and argued to death, it resurfaces. It's probably the second-most debated topic after the dreaded "children on board."

Perhaps the OP could use the Search This Forum function at the top of the page and do a search for "jeans" here as well as on the Regent board. There, he/she will find everyone's thoughts and opinions previously written before we reopen the debate all over again.[/QUOTE]

We are fairly new to Oceania and the first story in the CC News was about Jeans. Thought it was topical. Sorry you found it offensive and/ or lazy on my part.

My question was answered. My wife now knows what to pack. Thanks for your input, regardless of your tone.

-Curt (OP)

Edited by curtdesilets

Agree with pinotlover and wonder what the problem is with not wearing jeans to dinner on a cruise line of this caliber? To look on the practical side, jeans in the summer are hot and are heavy to pack at any time of the year.

While one person might look great in jeans, the policy isn't written only for those people. I've seen overalls on people that probably should not be worn in public let alone going to dinner on a cruise ship. The look was akin to what people wear to backyard barbeques (not that the "look" would be any better in a backyard).

IMO, anyone sailing on Oceania should simply follow the dress code -- it isn't that difficult!

Yes, but Jeans in Alaska are warm and functional, as long as they do not get wet.

Edited by curtdesilets

Yes, but Jeans in Alaska are warm and functional, as long as they do not get wet.

We have done three Alaska cruises and the weather is unpredictable. Agree that jeans work well in Alaska (although still heavy to pack). On the other hand, we packed for cold weather on one trip and it was 90 degrees - had to go out and buy t-shirts (didn't pack any shorts). In any case, daytime attire is pretty much anything -- the dress code doesn't take effect until 6:00 p.m.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

I have a question related to the jeans debate. We will be bringing our 10 year old twin grandsons to Alaska on Oceania. We invited them to join us if they thought they could behave appropriately on an adult ship. They are very excited but I am wondering what the thinking is on children's attire in the main dining room (not sure yet about specialty restaurants but it would be the same question only more so.)

Would you expect children to also be wearing slacks and a collar shirt or would nice jeans and an undecorated t-shirt be okay. Dress shoes? or athletic shoes ok?

Thanks for any input.

Mary

I have light weight jeans

I wore them to/from the cruise starting in Miami they were packed in the suitcase until the night before disembarkation

Never ever thought of wearing them to dinner in the restaurants

On our Norway trip I did wear them on occasion to dinner in the Terrace

everyone has a different sense of what is appropriate & what is not to each his own

going for popcorn

I have a question related to the jeans debate. We will be bringing our 10 year old twin grandsons to Alaska on Oceania. We invited them to join us if they thought they could behave appropriately on an adult ship. They are very excited but I am wondering what the thinking is on children's attire in the main dining room (not sure yet about specialty restaurants but it would be the same question only more so.)

Would you expect children to also be wearing slacks and a collar shirt or would nice jeans and an undecorated t-shirt be okay. Dress shoes? or athletic shoes ok?

Thanks for any input.

Mary

That's an interesting question, Mary! One I've never thought about, I guess because we've seen so few children on Oceania. But I would think the rule would be a bit more relaxed for children. Seems to me as long as they are neat and clean they'd be fine. JMO.

I'm trying to remember a young boy on Marina a few years ago (the son of one of the officers, I guessed was around 12 or 13) that we saw in Toscana. It seems to me he was wearing a simple shirt and maybe even jeans. What struck me most was that he just looked so bored sitting at a large table and being the only young person there. (But he was PERFECTLY behaved. His father might have keelhauled him if he weren't ...)

Mura

Thanks for any input.

Mary

We have observed a handful of well behaved children from ages 3 (yes really) up to young teens. Unless they were dining in Terraces, they were all dressed with collared shirts and slacks/ dressy slacks and tops or dresses. No jeans - not even in Alaska. Just our observation.

Hi Az,

If you wish to teach your young uns how to behave in a grown-up resto, you should also teach them how to dress.

Otherwise, they will end up complaining about the maitre d' turning them away because they were wearing blue jeans and tee shirts.

Have a happy cruise.

Ira

Hey Curt,

The outfit that you have described is satisfactory for the GDR on Oceania.

Why would you wear your dress jeans to go climbing about on glaciers. They are filthy.

Ira

Thanks Ira. We are fairly new to Oceania and know that one of their selling points is "no formal nights".

The reason I brought this jeans topic up, much to the chagrin of people that have discussed this topic to death, apparently, is that I always tell my wife that she cannot wear jeans to dinner. I am met with eye rolls and "alright then".

But as I had described, she wears fashionable jeans with a very nice top and looks better than most of the slack or pantsuit wearers. That's her preferred dress. I was just seeing if it would be met with hostility, as I suppose now it might. She'll probably do whatever she feels like, as is her right at this point in our marriage.

We started cruising 16 years ago when formal nights were definitely formal. We loved it. I usually rented a tuxedo and we would dress to the nines. Now however, tastes have changed, and so have we. I wouldn't mind dressing up but it seems the entire cruise public is at the "been there, done that" stage.

It is a shame. I do intend to bring a jacket for some of our dinners, and perhaps we will really dress up for one of them.

IMO, jeans and t-shirts is not proper attire - no matter what the age (at least not at dinner in the MDR or specialty restaurants). As another poster indicated, children have to learn how to behave and dress in different circumstances. Sailing on Oceania will probably be the biggest challenge the twins have faced in their 10 years. Unless you dine at the Terrace Café (where jeans and a t-shirt are fine), they will be sitting through very long dinners with a lot of adults. I am a bit surprised that Disney was not selected rather than Oceania since Oceania has few things for children to do. The ships are so small that finding a place to "hang out" without being surrounded by adults could be challenging.

I know - both of these topics are sensitive and are repeated a lot on the Oceania board. However, people have concerns about the dress code (as well as children on board) and most of us are happy to give our opinions as many times as the questions are asked. IMO, that is what we are here for.

Jeans, or any cotton clothing in Alaska are not warm, they have over the years indiced hypothermia in countless people. Even dry jeans will suck out your body heat faster than you can dream. 3 or 4 hours walking about will seriously endanger you. I have seen it as a park ranger and have rubber bagged more than one day visitor in jeans who thought they could get away with their choice. In the desert they cook in temperate rainforests ( Alaska ) they kill...........

In this environment can and has proved fatal... Yes you read that right....fatal. Even when not wet the cotton in the higher humidity and breeze can kill.

Is it a problem?

Yes big time. for city folks who just don't understand.

Read up on this...please. Read about hypothermia because each year it kills dozens who visit alaska.

Rather wear synthetic blends, wool things and pile things .

I say again.....please read up on hypothermia...its not just a word.

Jeans, or any cotton clothing in Alaska are not warm, they have over the years indiced hypothermia in countless people. Even dry jeans will suck out your body heat faster than you can dream. 3 or 4 hours walking about will seriously endanger you. I have seen it as a park ranger and have rubber bagged more than one day visitor in jeans who thought they could get away with their choice. In the desert they cook in temperate rainforests ( Alaska ) they kill...........

In this environment can and has proved fatal... Yes you read that right....fatal. Even when not wet the cotton in the higher humidity and breeze can kill.

Is it a problem?

Yes big time. for city folks who just don't understand.

Read up on this...please. Read about hypothermia because each year it kills dozens who visit alaska.

Rather wear synthetic blends, wool things and pile things .

I say again.....please read up on hypothermia...its not just a word.

I agree with you on these, after some thought. I remember skiing and playing in the snow in jeans when i was younger, and you are right, they suck in the snow.

But the SE Alaska Coastline we are going to experience in July will not be that extreme in weather. Wet Jeans are a problem though. I think in retrospect, we've all been fooled by Levi Strauss! Jeans are pretty much worthless. :eek:

I agree with Travelcat that jeans and t-shirts are not proper attire in the dining room on Oceania. I love Oceania because it is classy, not a mill like mass-market cruise lines. It is country club casual. Is it really so hard not to wear jeans to dinner? The dining room is a Jacques Pepin quality dining experience. If you can't dress up just slightly, then maybe Oceania isn't the right fit for you.

and one DIL only brought jeans for the boys. We were on Norwegian and I went to the shop and bought black pants for them. They wore them each night. This is not a strain to pack. They did have collared shirts.

On the other hand, I have some jeans that I have had hand beaded and they do not look like regular jeans. They look lovely. I am not sure why these are not allowed, but I don't try to wear them. They are really classy looking though and with beaded tops they are nice. Recently I had a very very wonderful jacket made in Hong Kong for my very large husband. It was a reproduction of Kiton, made to go with jeans. Classy, but we don't even go there.

It seems that some people spend too much time worrying about what others wear, in my opinion.

We comply though!

LOL

I agree with Travelcat that jeans and t-shirts are not proper attire in the dining room on Oceania. I love Oceania because it is classy, not a mill like mass-market cruise lines. It is country club casual. Is it really so hard not to wear jeans to dinner? The dining room is a Jacques Pepin quality dining experience. If you can't dress up just slightly, then maybe Oceania isn't the right fit for you.

I do so agree with you. We too love Oceania and it's "country club casual" approach.

The dining experience on board is really something special and although Rhinestones are not required,I do like to dress nicely . I can wear jeans any time and my cruise time is my special time.

I'll also bear in mind Hawiidans advice regarding jeans in Alaska

regards,

Josie

This is what Oceania says in their FAQ section.

Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner.

Guess that sums it up, no casual jeans, dress jeans are OK for dinner, to me that means all restaurants.

Edited by hypercafe