Disembarking in Rome

luvtravel

Our upcoming June cruise on "O" will end in Civitiveccia, ship docking @ 6am and we have an 11:15 departure out of FCO on AA for Chicago. We have booked a 7:00 private transfer to the airport after Oceania customer service said we could get off as early as 6:45am. In the meantime we have read that the ports are European ports are doing an extra thorough job of checking people entering their countries ---- and wondered if anyone recently has disembarked at Civitiveccia and if it was a lengthy process getting off. We are hoping that if we do a 'walk off' with our luggage - it will be faster. Thanks for any info you might have!

Claiming luggage on the pier is the easiest and quickest part of the entire equation, so whether you choose to carry your suitcases yourself is fairly immaterial.

The problem with that last day is that the entire ship has to clear Customs before ANYBODY moves. Period, no questions, thank you.

All that you can do proactively is to be up and dressed and ready to move as soon as that happens, and to make certain that your transfer understands the process and is willing to wait until the all clear if there is a delay.

With your timetable, it's going to be a nail-biter every step of the way, whatever you do-

Good luck, but have an extra Valium in your sock ;)

Claiming luggage on the pier is the easiest and quickest part of the entire equation, so whether you choose to carry your suitcases yourself is fairly immaterial.

The problem with that last day is that the entire ship has to clear Customs before ANYBODY moves. Period, no questions, thank you.

All that you can do proactively is to be up and dressed and ready to move as soon as that happens, and to make certain that your transfer understands the process and is willing to wait until the all clear if there is a delay.

With your timetable, it's going to be a nail-biter every step of the way, whatever you do-

Good luck, but have an extra Valium in your sock ;)

Don't be so negative. Odds are they can make it.

Don't be so negative. Odds are they can make it.

Just trying to get across the reality of the situation, i.e. everyone waits until the entire ship has been cleared. I've been on cruises where the ship was already clear at 7AM and cruises where we were still waiting at 9AM.

"The only thing that you really know, is that you just never know"

Elaine Stritch

Thank you for your thoughts! Do hope we make it! Oceania told us any flights after 11:00 am ok - hope they are right. The transport service we are using is not prepaid and are very experienced so hope they know the ropes about clearing customs, etc. changing flights out of the question - and won't be paid unless they wait for us to disembark!- I did check awhile back and to just change the return flight would be over $8,000 each - can you believe it! Got that off AA's site!

Just trying to get across the reality of the situation, i.e. everyone waits until the entire ship has been cleared. I've been on cruises where the ship was already clear at 7AM and cruises where we were still waiting at 9AM.

"The only thing that you really know, is that you just never know"

Elaine Stritch

Not to mention the logistics at Rome airport.

This would to be a flight I would choose.:)

We've ended two cruises in Rome. Both were among the quickest disembarkations we've ever experienced. Customs at the port was virtually nonexistent. The first time, I opted for a 4pm flight because I was nervous about a before-noon departure. Quickly realized we did made the wrong decision and sat around in a very boring airport. The second trip, we had an 11:20 flight and still had plenty of time in the airport. That said,we were among the first to depart the ship and had a driver waiting (highly recommend RomeInLimo -- have used them for numerous transfers and tours in Italy and they have always been on time and professional). We were also in Business Class which helped us breeze through security.

Not to mention the logistics at Rome airport.

This would to be a flight I would choose.:)

Correction. This would NOT be the flight I would choose - but you just might be OK. It would certainly not be the first port ever that the ship arrived later than planned (our BKK arrival at 8 AM was changed last minute once onboard to 12 noon - missed a great excursion to walk with tigers :()

Too many variables for my comfort - YMMV.

If all goes well - you'll be fine; if not, too much trouble to deal with for me.

To paraphrase a famous movie line - Do you feel lucky....? :D

Edited by Paulchili

We just received our air schedule for a July 20 ending cruise in Rome cruise with an Oceania included flight at 10:40. Am. When I called Oceania they told me the ship docks 5 am and we should not have any trouble making the flight. I'm planning on using Oceania transfers hoping that gets us off the ship as early as possible. Has anyone used Oceania transfer for the Rome airport and does anyone know if Oceania rebooks a later flight if we don't make it in time?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have rarely used Oceania flights, but it would seem to me that if you are on an Oceania booked flight and they don't get you there in time (for whatever reason) that they would handle rebooking your flight home.

Even so, we are more cautious in booking our flights out ... except that we just about always plan on at least another day in the debarkation part, probably more.

People need to bear in mind the possible delays in leaving the ship and finding your luggage (not a problem in our experience, except that we usually leave the ship as late as possible). Beyond that, travel time to the airport if you are flying out that day ... and bearing in mind that now european airports are checking passengers more diligently since the Brussels attack.

We always leave extra time (if we can) when flying home.

Mura

We just received our air schedule for a July 20 ending cruise in Rome cruise with an Oceania included flight at 10:40. Am. When I called Oceania they told me the ship docks 5 am and we should not have any trouble making the flight. I'm planning on using Oceania transfers hoping that gets us off the ship as early as possible. Has anyone used Oceania transfer for the Rome airport and does anyone know if Oceania rebooks a later flight if we don't make it in time?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Oceania Air goes out of their way to avoid taking silly risks, and if O is doing your Air and Transfers then they know that if it all goes haywire, it is their mess to fix, so I guess that we have to figure that in your case they know something that we don't know.

The good news is that if your flight is that tight, Oceania will almost definitely spring for a car for your trip to the Airport (no waiting around for the bus for you!), and unless another passenger is booked on that same flight, you'll have it all to yourself!

Still, you mustn't leave the ship without getting a verified telephone number for the Oceania Air Desk which works within ITALY .

Toll free numbers can sometimes be temperamental Internationally, and the time difference is going to be enough to worry about.

Oceania Air goes out of their way to avoid taking silly risks, and if O is doing your Air and Transfers then they know that if it all goes haywire, it is their mess to fix, so I guess that we have to figure that in your case they know something that we don't know.

The good news is that if your flight is that tight, Oceania will almost definitely spring for a car for your trip to the Airport (no waiting around for the bus for you!), and unless another passenger is booked on that same flight, you'll have it all to yourself!

Still, you mustn't leave the ship without getting a verified telephone number for the Oceania Air Desk which works within ITALY .

Toll free numbers can sometimes be temperamental Internationally, and the time difference is going to be enough to worry about.

Good advise. They seem to have all bases covered. Should work out OK. :):):)

While the above is a good possibility and may occur if you are delayed disembarking the ship, the O Terms and Conditions clearly state that O is NOT responsible for any delays with your air travel and that it is your responsibility to get to the ship or get home. All your plans are based on an on time arrival at the port and smooth travel on the road to the airport and hope all is as planned but, delays do occur so be on the alert and do what you need real time to get home. Personally, I would have my TA contact O and change that flight to later. It's no fun after a wonderful cruise to worry about making your flight. Good luck.

That said, often, but not always does go the extra yard for their customers. Yes, that phone number is important but, remember, if you do get to the airport and you have missed your flight, it will be very early in the morning back in the US and might be no one to answer your phone call so in addition to calling that number, it will be important to get to an airline desk and work with the airline you are ticketed on to ge on another flight. Even if O answers the phone, it will take them time to work out your flight change and working with the airline at the airport you can real time get your new flight. Hopefully everything will go according to plan but, if any issues be sure to take the initiative and don't wait for a call back.

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I saw where Oceania stated they will help and rebook at no cost to us if we can't make the flight so I decided they must know what they are doing and not to worry about it. Love cruise critic and all the caring members that are willing to provide advice.

I don't believe OP claims Oceania booked their flight - he/she said they consulted O on the anticipated departure time. My read is they do not have an Oceania air booking.

Stan & Jim & others here offer excellent insights based on experience. We disembarked in Civitiveccia 5 times on Regent & Oceania. Don't worry about humping out of the port terminal or the drive to FCO - easy breezy.

Obviously, the big concern is how long it takes the ship to be cleared for disembarkation. You just never know.

Our most recent experience was last June. We were not cleared to leave the ship until 7:15ish. We had a noon United flight but there were mechanical issues so the flight was delayed 7 hours! FCO check-in can be crowded & slow - logistics ain't a model of crackerjack efficiency - plus security is amped up at major European airports. After check-in, you pass security checks, then passport control, then a bus will ferry you out to another terminal to board. Flying 1st or Business? If yes, you get much shorter lines for check-in & security - both of which greatly expedite the process.

AA & United ask you to check-in 3 hours prior to intl flights. Have you called American to ask their recommendation? Two years ago, we have arrived at FCO 2 hours prior to departure and had no problems - but we were booked First class and the benefit of those "special" lines.

I hope you make the flight and have no stress. But as advised - please have a back up plan along with various phone numbers, a smart phone with an international phone number and online access, so you can call/email from the car enroute to FCO. At the every least, you can monitor the status of your flight from the AA site during the drive.

Good luck!

Great advice above.

In addition, please remember that should you miss the flight due to late arrival (or any other fault of yours), the airline owes you NOTHING.

They may place you on their next flight but they are not obligated to do so. They may require you to book a new ticket - which will likely be more than you paid originally and who knows when the next seat may be available in high season. If you are flying for FF miles, your odds of finding award seats on another flight are even worse.

Good luck indeed!

Edited by Paulchili

I did call AA to see about a later departure time - there was one but that's when the agent calculated it would be approx. $8000 each to change our ticket...and she wasn't kidding! Of course I declined but asked what if we miss flight - and she did say we would be listed in standby for next flight. We do have business class tickets and she said they would offer us whatever came available, eg. Economy class but we could also wait and go on the next flight business was available...maybe next day. But flights are so full these days not sure what we'd do. She didn't say if there would be any fees involved for the standby situation.

We will keep our fingers crossed that we can get off early as possible .. (Just made a call to Oceania and was told we may be able to get off at 6:45am) and our car service will be waiting and get us to FCO in good time. Hopefully the shorter checkin and security lines will help.

Thanks again everyone for sharing your experiences and thoughts.

Please elaborate, never heard of this before.

On my last Oceania disembarkation from Rome our flight through Oceania was at 11:15. There certainly was no mention of car service being provided. I realize there might be a cutoff somewhere for this, maybe 11am. Of course we were only in coach and a regular balcony room, so some of this might make a difference.

FWIW, we made it just fine. We had a car through Rome Cabs, which I would highly recommend, that picked us up at 7:15, we were early and so were they. We had enough time at the airport to go to the VAT desk and file paperwork. We still had plenty of time for our flight.

Please elaborate, never heard of this before.

On my last Oceania disembarkation from Rome our flight through Oceania was at 11:15. There certainly was no mention of car service being provided. I realize there might be a cutoff somewhere for this, maybe 11am. Of course we were only in coach and a regular balcony room, so some of this might make a difference.

FWIW, we made it just fine. We had a car through Rome Cabs, which I would highly recommend, that picked us up at 7:15, we were early and so were they. We had enough time at the airport to go to the VAT desk and file paperwork. We still had plenty of time for our flight.

11am is the cutoff that Oceania quoted as being 'safe' to make it to the airport on time...so why we booked our 11:20 flight. So glad to hear good things about Rome Cabs....that's who we have booked with. Said they will pick us up on the dock..and will have a sign. In Rome...was it outside the area where suitcases are brought for pickup? We are thinking it will be faster if we just take our own suitcase off ... hard to know.

11am is the cutoff that Oceania quoted as being 'safe' to make it to the airport on time...so why we booked our 11:20 flight. So glad to hear good things about Rome Cabs....that's who we have booked with. Said they will pick us up on the dock..and will have a sign. In Rome...was it outside the area where suitcases are brought for pickup? We are thinking it will be faster if we just take our own suitcase off ... hard to know.

Of course it will faster if you take your suitcase off yourself. You won't have to search thru the sea of suitcases to find yours and depending on the port, you may be cleared before all of the suitcases are in place on the dock.

Please don't forget all these comments about making your flight are based on optimum conditions including the ship reaching port on time, being cleared by immigration, not customs as customs clears you, if necessary after you find your suitcases and bring them thru customs, traffic on the road to the airport, and lines at the airport, itself.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

Did the car pick you up at the ship or did you have to take a shuttle to the port gate?

I seem to remember that there is a shuttle bus in Civita - of course, I could be wrong.

Did the car pick you up at the ship or did you have to take a shuttle to the port gate?

I seem to remember that there is a shuttle bus in Civita - of course, I could be wrong.

Right outside the terminal, after we had picked up our luggage.

There is a shuttle in Civita, but it's more for when you're there for the day and need to get in and out of the port.

• 3 weeks later...

If you booked your transp. through the cruise line you will be treated well. We got off in Cita. on 5/5. When we arrived at the luggage pick-up the suitcases were already on a cart with a porter waiting for us. We bypassed customs; no one even looked at our passport. We followed the porter outside to a van and off we went to the airport. Very fast. No lines, no waiting, no handling of the luggage.

Just off ship there last week. Traveling alone I did a shared van to leave 8AM. I always self carry bags off. OP with black bag had his mistakenly taken by another black bagger. Waited for him 40 minutes, knew would miss my flight and the driver found me another ride to airport. So put some ribbons on your bags or self disembark. Or buy some bags in another color.