Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Please enlighten me. Why on earth would anyone wear a baseball cap to dinner? I can understand if it is worn at lunchtime because people are coming in out of the sun. But at dinner time?

I have no idea. I guess they are the sort of people who wear caps all the time because they and their peer group think they look good.

You could ask the same question about ties. They serve no practical purpose and just get in the way at dinner but some people like them.

I have no idea. I guess they are the sort of people who wear caps all the time because they and their peer group think they look good.

You could ask the same question about ties. They serve no practical purpose and just get in the way at dinner but some people like them.

My mother would have been all over me if I sat down to eat with a hat on.

Would someone please define a "frock."

In British English and in Commonwealth countries the word is used for a girl's or woman's dress.

Men and women can also wear what is called a Frock Coat - very formal in deed

frock:

a woman's or girl's dress.

From our friends at Wikipedia........

Frock has been used since Middle English as the name for an article of clothing for men and women. It is sometimes synonymously used for skirt. In British English and in Commonwealth countries the word is used for a girl's or woman's dress. In Australia it is frequently used this way, with the phrase "to frock up" meaning to wear a formal dress or gown for a special occasion.[1]

Edited by Lois R

Not just baseball caps. Fedoras also.

I'll wear my fedora or bowler to dinner, but remove when arriving tableside. To me it's like arriving in a rest. I always wear it to the table & then remove it. I used to check them in in the coatcheck, but had a $250 hat stolen from the coatcheck. It was staffed, so they ended up buying me a new one. At least the scarf didn't get stolen(this was Christmas eve)

Since I've wasted a day reading most of these over 1,000 responses, I feel like I need to throw in my two cents.

Let me preface this by saying I'm not an experienced cruiser, only one so far, going on the Eclipse next year for our second cruise.

With that being said, even though I'm not one who would normally eat at a restaurant with a dress code, I booked this next trip knowing full well that there is a dress code in the Specialty restaurants as well as the MDR and that furthermore there are three formal nights in the MDR on our cruise. I also understand that other people have booked the same trip with the same expectations. Therefore, out of respect to my fellow cruisers, if I plan to eat in the MDR or any Specialty restaurant, then I plan on following the dress code of the night as much as I don't like it. Truth be told, I would be happy eating at the buffet every night, but the wife likes to get dressed up once in a while so guess what we'll do?

I do feel that if Celebrity is going to have a dress code then it should be enforced even if I don't agree with it. Then it's fair to all who have booked the trip and everyone has the same expectations.

Oh, and the day wasn't a total waste. I did learn some stuff about the dress code. Thanks everyone for that.

With that being said, even though I'm not one who would normally eat at a restaurant with a dress code, I booked this next trip knowing full well that there is a dress code in the Specialty restaurants as well as the MDR and that furthermore there are three formal nights in the MDR on our cruise. I also understand that other people have booked the same trip with the same expectations. Therefore, out of respect to my fellow cruisers, if I plan to eat in the MDR or any Specialty restaurant, then I plan on following the dress code of the night.

My thoughts exactly and thats what we intend to do too.

Edited by Misterscruff

Are you talking about the hat Curly of the three stooges always wore?

Corbis-U1384123.jpg?size=67&uid=7bdc71aa-c698-4581-8d5a-51190c16dc67

The Three Stooges Holding Bowler Hats

Of course they will put them under their chairs in the main dining room on formal night. ;)

Edited by varoo

We're on a 7 day cruise in the Caribbean, trying to plan specialty dining - does anyone know what nights are the formal nights in the MDR? Are these usually a more special meal than other nights? We are cruising Saturday to Saturday. We have two days at sea. Thanks for the help!

We're on a 7 day cruise in the Caribbean, trying to plan specialty dining - does anyone know what nights are the formal nights in the MDR? Are these usually a more special meal than other nights? We are cruising Saturday to Saturday. We have two days at sea. Thanks for the help!

Formal night will never be 1st night nor last night due to unpacking and packing of suitcases.

On 7 day cruises, generally will be the 1st sea day, and last sea day that is not the last night of the cruise, or the day before the last day if its port intensive.

1st formal night the menu is whatever the menu for that day normally is; the last formal night will feature lobster, but I wouldn't say its anything special overall but for the fancy word Lobster.

X has 14 menus served in order served on all ships so a 7 day cruise only repeats the 1st 7 menus and never gets into the 8-14th day menus. The only time a menu order changes is to swap the menu with lobster to correlate to the 2nd formal night if it wasn't already scheduled for that day in the menu order.

So you say you are Saturday to Saturday. I'd assume formal will be Sunday night and Thursday night.

.... on the Caribbean cruise is a TUX or suit required for the "formal night" or will a dress shirt and slacks be adequate?

A Tux or Suit is Formal for Celebrity. At a minimum, a coat and tie will suffice.

I never understand why men will wear a jacket but not a suit? Is it the tie issue? My husband doesn't seem to mind taking a suit. The hassle is packing the dress shirt and shoes!

The Caribbean is a laid back destination .... why pack clothing that does not fit the local unless the natives require it ! It would be like packing a Tommy Bahama shirt on an Alaskan cruise ! I understand a "Formal Night" on a Mediterranean or Transatlantic cruise. Otherwise , some cruises are just laid back. That being said you do what you have to do to appease the wife/girlfriend . It doesn't mean most men are over joyed. :) So to answer the question ... the least they have to dress up the better !

Edited by disneyneighbor