Host Andy Sails Oasis of the Seas (Review Added 7/29/15)

BEAV

It is not about quantity - it is about quality. I am paying not for a LOT of bad food, but for GOOD food, doesn't have to large portions..

I agree Isabella. For me, quality always tops quantity. And of course, if the portion is small ? you can always ask for more.

Hope all is well, and we'll meet again on another Celebrity cruise, when the ships return to the Caribbean.

Hi Rich,

I forgot to mention Windjammer in my review, so here's my thoughts.

Overall, I was very surprised with Windjammer, in that I expected to food to be at least decent. I couldn't find anything to eat ! I tried the hamburger, and yes - it was gray for heaven's sake. Took 1 bite, and left it. I actually said to my family members "I wonder if this is real beef". A few moments later, I excused myself from the table - went to the Park Cafe, and had my Kummelweck sandwich... way better than anything served at Windjammer.

I also found it interesting that Windjammer totally shuts down at 9 pm. I thought that was very odd, for such a massive ship.

Celebrity's buffet is far superior in all respects.

The reason is that they intend that passengers to eat at the many other venues. I never ate at the Windjammer on Oasis or Allure. Like you I could never find anything I wanted to eat. So I would eat lunch at the Park Cafe or Solarium Bistro. Or have Pizza at Sorrentos. Couldn't even stand the breakfast at the Windjammer. Went to Johnny Rockets, Wipe Out Cafe, Solarium and the dining room for breakfast. Or the Diamond Lounge where they had bagels and smoked salmon.

Best specialty restaurant on Oasis in my opinion is Giovannis Table. Best service and food.

Thanks Andy. This was really helpful as a happy Celebrity cruiser who might be considering Royal. And I hope it will instruct those posters who complain that certain posts "have nothing to do with X cruise line" -- this thread is VERY relevant to the CC Celebrity community because we value your insights.

Hi CruisingChick,

Yes, they had a Sorrento's on Oasis. I thought the Pizza was average. Not bad, but not great either. FWIW, the latest version of Celebrity's Pizza was much better, IMO.

Hope this helps !

Hi Andy, thanks for the info. On our Summit cruise in May the pizza was very good.

Maybe I will lose some weight on my RCCL Liberty cruise (NOT). I'm sure I will find something to eat.

Yes, I found when we were on Explorer the (free) burgers were terrible. Maybe that's because they want you to pay to go to Johnny Rockets. Overall the buffet food was just terrible. We ate breakfast in the MDR every day also. The dinners in the MDR were not horrible, but the lunches were so bad at the buffet it really did leave a lasting impression.

Liberty has a Sorrento's did you try the pizza there? I hate to eat pizza on a cruise because we are surrounded by great pizza places where we live but I guess that could be an option.

I did not try Sorrentos, but a number of those in our group said it was the same as served in Windjammers, which was mediocre at best. Certainly not as good as Celebrity or Princess serves.

You're probably right about Johnny Rockets, but I resent having to pay $6.95 extra for a basically fast food hamburger, so did not eat there.

You're probably right about Johnny Rockets, but I resent having to pay $6.95 extra for a basically fast food hamburger, so did not eat there.

I agree, but if the food is as bad in Windjammer on Liberty as it was on Explorer I might be forced to go there one of our days for lunch.

Hi Andy,

Want to enjoy those great sandwiches again? Just come to Buffalo NY where this is a local specialty. Here's a link to the 10 best local restaurants serving Beef On Weck:

http://www.10best.com/destinations/new-york/buffalo/restaurants/beef-on-weck/

Toni

Thanks for that link Toni! My daughter was so excited when we saw Beef on Weck at McGregor's in Rochester. It was AWFUL. We'll give Charlie the Butcher a try next time we're in your hood!

I agree Isabella. For me, quality always tops quantity. And of course, if the portion is small ? you can always ask for more.

Hope all is well, and we'll meet again on another Celebrity cruise, when the ships return to the Caribbean.

Hi Andy,

So glad you still enjoyed you Oasis cruise and found few things that you liked better than on X ships. We are taking Silhouette TA this fall and next will be Anthem in April. I am holding booking on Eclipse- 12/11/16. After that I have nothing booked with X. I don't like new X price structure, so maybe I will see you and wonderful Mom on RP if Perry still there. Are you sailing this coming October? I wish I was - for the premier...wishing you great time.

I agree, but if the food is as bad in Windjammer on Liberty as it was on Explorer I might be forced to go there one of our days for lunch.

Food in WC on Liberty was not eatable and very limited variety.

Since I don't eat bid breakfast - I found very few things for breakfast, but for lunch - food was not appetizing and not well prepared.