Military offers on Celebrity different than on RCI ?

wieslaw

Hi,

in the past, every so often, I found military discounts / rates on some cruises for some cat. of cabins. I took advantage of such offers - mostly on RCI cruises.

I see a "Military offer" on a cruise that I booked with Celebrity but I see that the requirements for eligibility are different that what RCI requires.

I am aware that different cruise line have different rules and requirements but in this case both Celebrity and RCI are part of the same RCCL family, and I am wondering why the military service requirements differ ?

Examples:

Celebrity

Your Military Offer

Prices are per person, cruise only, applicable to U.S. and Canadian residents who currently serve in the military or are retired from the military. A valid U.S. or Canadian military ID must be presented at the pier to validate eligibility. If eligibility cannot be validated, you will be charged the current standard cruise fare or otherwise be denied boarding.........

RCI also offers the discount rates to active and retired ..... but also to:

3. Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD214 or DD256, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in.

Any veterans out there that might know, or took advantage of a military offer on Celebrity ?

I'm retired USN, and have booked several cruises with Celebrity under a military rate, but don't remember EVER being asked for ANY documentation. But I always have my ID Card with me just in case. ;)

I have a B2B booked with RCCL for April, but I can't remember if THAT one was a military rate or not.

I have also booked with Princess under a military rate. They requested a fax of the documentation which took just a few hours to process and approve. :) THOSE guys are FANTASTIC as they will let you "stack" any and all benefits for HUGE totals of OBC.

It APPEARS to me that any documentation may only be required for the first sailing and after that, they have the information on file for future sailings.

Edited by teecee60

Hi, I am a veteran with 3 years of service, with proper documentation (DD214) and I meet the requirements for RCI offer but not Celebrity.

Only one time I was asked to produce the DD214.

But they can and should ask for it - so the people that use the offer are the ones that the offer applies to them

Oh how interesting. We've used the military rate on =X= several times in the past under the (now) RCI definition:

Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD214 or DD256, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in.

Is this a change for =X=?

Betsy

I'm retired USN, and have booked several cruises with Celebrity under a military rate, but don't remember EVER being asked for ANY documentation. But I always have my ID Card with me just in case. ;)

I have a B2B booked with RCCL for April, but I can't remember if THAT one was a military rate or not.

I have also booked with Princess under a military rate. They requested a fax of the documentation which took just a few hours to process and approve. :) THOSE guys are FANTASTIC as they will let you "stack" any and all benefits for HUGE totals of OBC.

It APPEARS to me that any documentation may only be required for the first sailing and after that, they have the information on file for future sailings.

Totally agree. My husband carries a copy of his DD214 in case we are ever asked but never have been on either royal or celebrity

On Princess you send it in once and from then on you automatically get $100 OBC on a 7 night cruise for military. And it can be combined with any and every other OBC they offer. Adds up quick.

Oh how interesting. We've used the military rate on =X= several times in the past under the (now) RCI definition:

Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD214 or DD256, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in.

Is this a change for =X=?

Betsy

Hi, I guess that is my question as well.

On Celebrity they seem to offer the military offer only to active or retired military.

I guess some posters ( above) used the military offer but they did not specify if they were/are active, retired or just veterans.

I know that they might or might not check the documents (ID, DD214 or whatever), that is not what I am interested in.

I tried to check on Celebrity Q&A if veterans (other than retired) are eligible for the military offer, but did not find anything.

I know that I could use the offer and take the chances that they will not check ...... but I will not take the offer if it is not for me as a veteran, and only for the active or retired.

The only thing I found was what I wrote in my post ( active and retired). If anyone found a detailed explanation about who is eligible for the military rate - please post a link.

I will write to Celebrity and ask but who knows if they will respond.

Edited by wieslaw

What you quoted from X is clear....do you have an honorable discharge from two years of service? Then you are a veteran. Have a DD214 from any service listed at any time; the definition is as broad as possible.

With military and other special rates, X is discounting the classes of cabins on a sailing that have not met projected sales by some date, and they make that discount available to as many people as possible. When on the X website checking prices, sometimes I skip the drop down state menu to save time, or only check senior and not military, but if later recheck them, they are the same discount, if offered. One Veterans Day, there was an extra bonus for using the military rate, but often it is no different from senior or resident. Senior starts at 55, not 62 or 65, and if you don't Qualify for a discount from either age or service, then the whole state gets a deal. :)

My TA shows same requirements for X and RCI, quote:

Celebrity offers military discounts on select sailings to active or reserve personnel currently serving in the Canadian Forces, United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard or National Guard, and retired personnel from any of these divisions. "Retired" is defined as A) enlisted personnel or officers with a minimum of 20 years of service, B) medically retired, or C) 100% disabled. Veterans with an honorable discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above are also eligible. Finally, spouses of actively deployed or deceased military personnel are eligible to book one stateroom at the military rate. The spouse of the military member must be booked in the stateroom and others in the same stateroom will also be allowed to cruise at the military rate. Qualifying guests must present the proper military ID and a driver's license or passport at the time of booking.

I have a DD 214 after 2 years active duty and I used it to book an Alaska cruise last year . I was was not asked to present it at check in but I did have copy with me.

J.

What you quoted from X is clear....do you have an honorable discharge from two years of service? Then you are a veteran. Have a DD214 from any service listed at any time; the definition is as broad as possible.

With military and other special rates, X is discounting the classes of cabins on a sailing that have not met projected sales by some date, and they make that discount available to as many people as possible. When on the X website checking prices, sometimes I skip the drop down state menu to save time, or only check senior and not military, but if later recheck them, they are the same discount, if offered. One Veterans Day, there was an extra bonus for using the military rate, but often it is no different from senior or resident. Senior starts at 55, not 62 or 65, and if you don't Qualify for a discount from either age or service, then the whole state gets a deal. :)

Thank you, I appreciate the quote. All that I could find when booking was this:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-search/search-results#&dest=CARIB&isWidget=false&sortBy=7&selectedInput=&cruiseType=&cruisesOnly=&accessCabin=&includeAdjascentPorts=Y&state=&captain_id=&couponCodes=&isSenior=&isMilitary=&isFireandPolice=&sailStartDate=2015-10&sailEndDate=2015-12&duration=ANY&port=ANY&ship=ANY&startRow=0

when the page opens, please click on ; "qualify for special offers",

when that page opens, it only shows for the military - active and retired.

Edited by wieslaw

I, too, have used the military discount on X that is the same as the RCL definition--2 years service with honorable discharge. I had Celebrity send me their policy in writing to validate the rules. I also went to the trouble of having a copy of my DD 214 certified, and no one ever asked for this proof.

Carolyn

Doctor G, thank you for your post. What address did you use to get the Celebrity to respond with the official policy/rules.

My DD is also certified and recorded .

As some have mentioned, 'they' asked for it only once ( few years back)...... but they can ask for it anytime.

I asked my Celebrity Certified Vacation Planner to verify that I, with 6 years active duty and honorable discharge, would be allowed a military discount. She did verify although admitted that the wording is a little confusing. I always take my DD214 but have never been asked to show it.

Doctor G, thank you for your post. What address did you use to get the Celebrity to respond with the official policy/rules.

As some have mentioned, 'they' asked for it only once ( few years back)...... but they can ask for it anytime.

I'm sorry. At this point I do not remember. However, I think I just called Celebrity Customer Service. I know I contacted them by phone rather than via e-mail. It's possible I called Captain's Club. I'm not at my home, so I don't have my files. If I find any more information when I get home, I'll post it.

Carolyn

Just call Celebrity and ask them .....might be an error or they just might let you use the discount....or not...ask

Hi, I am a veteran with 3 years of service, with proper documentation (DD214) and I meet the requirements for RCI offer but not Celebrity.

Only one time I was asked to produce the DD214.

But they can and should ask for it - so the people that use the offer are the ones that the offer applies to them

I am now home and checked my records. I found that my memory is not too great :o I got the military policies by sending an e-mail to the Captain's Club (captainsclub@celebrity.com) It took about 2 weeks, but they sent me the full rules for the military rate.

Carolyn

Thank you, I appreciate the quote. All that I could find when booking was this:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-search/search-results#&dest=CARIB&isWidget=false&sortBy=7&selectedInput=&cruiseType=&cruisesOnly=&accessCabin=&includeAdjascentPorts=Y&state=&captain_id=&couponCodes=&isSenior=&isMilitary=&isFireandPolice=&sailStartDate=2015-10&sailEndDate=2015-12&duration=ANY&port=ANY&ship=ANY&startRow=0

when the page opens, please click on ; "qualify for special offers",

when that page opens, it only shows for the military - active and retired.

We've taken 3 cruises on X, and I checked the military rate and the police rate since my spouse is both retired military and an active duty police officer. We've never received any discount. Is that because we went under other promotions?

Different discounts are offered for different cruises at different times. I deal solely with Celebrity Vacation Planner and she checks to see what is best for us. Sometimes they offer resident discounts, other times military discounts, and still other times senior discounts. I have also been on cruises where no discounts were offered.

We have had military discount with RCCL and with Celebrity and have never had to show proper ID. Husband served in Air Force but did not retire and he qualifies for both lines according to our vacation planners. We do carry ID with us but have never had to show.

As you know, Celebrity does not allow you to combine discounts so that is the reason CVP always checks to see what gives us the best deal.

I am now home and checked my records. I found that my memory is not too great :o I got the military policies by sending an e-mail to the Captain's Club (captainsclub@celebrity.com) It took about 2 weeks, but they sent me the full rules for the military rate.

Carolyn

Thank you very much for your response and information.

I did send email to one of the addresses that "Celebrity" poster recommended (concerns@celebrity.com),..... that was few days ago - I will wait another week or so , perhaps they will respond.

If not I will write to Captain's club - I have been their member for close to 25 years.

It seems from all of the posts that I received that the rules are similar to RCI's, just their requirements posted on the pages that I quoted above are somewhat confusing.

I do prefer to have something in writing explaining their policy.

Thanks to everybody that responded.

Hi,

I noticed a newly offered discount on my sailing on Silhouette (dec 2015). It is the same amount either for military or seniors. I did not check all the cat. I noticed 300dol disc. on verandas, aqua ...... and 200 dol on inside, per cabin.

Check your sailing maybe there is some saving to be gained as well - or maybe not if your sailing is selling well.

Hi,

I noticed a newly offered discount on my sailing on Silhouette (dec 2015). It is the same amount either for military or seniors. I did not check all the cat. I noticed 300dol disc. on verandas, aqua ...... and 200 dol on inside, per cabin.

Check your sailing maybe there is some saving to be gained as well - or maybe not if your sailing is selling well.

When I checked military/senior prices with new BBB perks for different sailings earlier in this thread, if the military discount was $300 per cabin (no perks) when clicked through to next page...the pricing reverted back to Go Big with a $300 OBC. X figures it is the same to you, and they would obviously prefer to sell you their new program for marketing reasons and OB sales. However, if I found a senior/military discount MORE than $300 per cabin, then the next billing page kept the military price with no perks.

Years ago I read on one of price history websites that August, when folks are on vacation, getting kids back to school and otherwise engaged, is a good time to find discounts off regular fares for Holiday and Jan cruises. The time between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and right after New Years are generally slow anyway, well-priced to start, and often with more discounts after final payment. Good luck finding a price you like..if there are military rates for your sailing, you may also find group rates, extra TA credits, or other types of discounts.

Edited by Janet987

I like Princess Cruise Lines Military recognition program. Send them a copy of your DD214 (SSN blacked out) when applying for the credit. Once approved hey put you in their system so each Cruise you book (not just certain selected Cruises) you automatically receive an OBC. The cool thing about it is you only have to apply one time for the benefit. It would be nice if all Cruise lines did this.