Jackets and Dancing

frsimon

Foxy, They teach Quickstep in the U.S. And our ballroom comps include QS from bronze novice through open. The confusion comes from the two styles of ballroom we have here in the colonies. International style and American style.

The Int style here is the same as in England. We read Alex Moore, we look at popular variations and we follow the ISTD standard for competition levels and recommended tempos.

The American style is a different animal. You can break apart, dance side-by-side and do underarm and other turns while dancing. They have their own syllabus, tempos, dress codes and formats. Quickstep is not included in American style comps. Most American style only schools do not teach it.........

Thanks for the interesting information.

Most British ballroom dancers knew next to nothing about the American Smooth style until it was introduced as one of the dances on our 'Strictly Come Dancing' television programme. Despite this it did not take off in the UK and I have never seen it announced at any of the many major social dances that we attend in the UK. It seems that UK dancers are not enamoured of couples who suddenly 'open out' with flailing arms on a social dance floor and, of course, the moves are alien to the international style of ballroom dancing which consists of closed-hold.

In the past the British have copied many things from America but I very much doubt if the 'American Smooth' style of dancing will be one of them.

It's like Baseball and Cricket ... they are both sports but the Americans enjoy the former and the English enjoy the latter. Incidentally, with your reference to 'the colonies'; most of our former colonies really took to cricket in a big way (think India, Australia, West Indies, New Zealand etc) but I gather cricket is a mystery to many Americans?

Regretfully, this has nothing to do with 'jackets and dancing' but that seems to have run its course - or has it? :)

Edited by Slow Foxtrot

Foxy, there is more overlap in Latin (American Rhythm), at least up to bronze level. I don't have much problem switching between US and UK partners, except that US has Cross-Body Lead instead of Fan. (American rumba tempo is a bit fast for good hip action, but you can still do the figures.) I've danced with UK ladies who want to do Mambo and Merengue (Rhythm dances) because they're tired of "same old, same old". As Q-Step points out the situation in the US varies, where I go in Florida they always include a Quickstep, and Bolero is played at International rumba tempo.

But to get back to the point, wearing a jacket is most uncomfortable and constricting in Latin/Rhythm.

Edited by Dancer Bob

Reading this discussion has caused me to rethink my opinion about wearing Tuxedo coat while dancing. I've always considered that dancing sans Tuxedo coat to be rather improper for the Queens Room formal nights. However after watching some videos like this one about

, it appears that a tuxedo vest is now considered formal wear without the Tuxedo coat. As Dancer Bob has pointed out, dancing latin/rhythm dances with the Tuxedo coat on is rather constrictive (in addition to being hot). I guess it is time for me to ditch the Cummberbund and go shopping for some new Tuxedo vests.

Bob

Reading this discussion has caused me to rethink my opinion about wearing Tuxedo coat while dancing. I've always considered that dancing sans Tuxedo coat to be rather improper for the Queens Room formal nights. However after watching some videos like this one about
, it appears that a tuxedo vest is now considered formal wear without the Tuxedo coat. As Dancer Bob has pointed out, dancing latin/rhythm dances with the Tuxedo coat on is rather constrictive (in addition to being hot). I guess it is time for me to ditch the Cummberbund and go shopping for some new Tuxedo vests.

Bob

Quite right Bob. In the UK many dancers wear a waistcoat for dancing at semi-formal social dances and these can look very smart. As several posters have mentioned, dancing upbeat dances for several hours in a heavy jacket/tuxedo is not comfortable and not healthy. So, the waistcoat is a good compromise for the formality of the Queens Room.

Quite right Bob. In the UK many dancers wear a waistcoat for dancing at semi-formal social dances and these can look very smart. As several posters have mentioned, dancing upbeat dances for several hours in a heavy jacket/tuxedo is not comfortable and not healthy. So, the waistcoat is a good compromise for the formality of the Queens Room.
In terms of relative coolness for dancing, which fabric type would you normally choose when buying a waistcoat/vest? The most common choices seem to be either Polyester Satin or Silk?

Bob

In terms of relative coolness for dancing, which fabric type would you normally choose when buying a waistcoat/vest? The most common choices seem to be either Polyester Satin or Silk?

Bob

Some sort of polyester mixture seems to foot the bill in most cases but obviously, for coolness, one wants nothing too heavy. However, on a cold winter's night in the UK the heavier ones have their advantage if the venue central heating is not up to scratch! Horses for courses. And, as we have said before, in the Queens Ballroom on formal nights, with the appropriate neckwear they are a good compromise between a jacket and just a shirt.

Edited by Slow Foxtrot

• 3 weeks later...

So, after my question, which came out of never having done a Cruise before, the answer is:

YOU DO WHAT YOU LIKE

All those snobby comments about "you don't need to take your jacket off because it is Air-Conditioned" were rubbish because it was really hot, despite the Air-Con, so I danced a couple in my jacket, and then took it off. No one batted an eyelid, and it still looked smart.

There were a number of male dancers who started in Waistcoat/Vest and they were fine also.

So, to anyone else looking on this thread for a definitive answer:

DO WHAT YOU WILL

Fr. S

Earlier this month I was on the QV and chatted to a cocktail waitress about the dress code. She said that they now had powers to 'police' the code, and she would turn anyone away from the bar if not wearing a jacket. She then added (without any prompting or questions from me) that of course that would not happen in the Queen's Room. It is acceptable to take off your jacket there.

So, after my question, which came out of never having done a Cruise before, the answer is:

YOU DO WHAT YOU LIKE

All those snobby comments about "you don't need to take your jacket off because it is Air-Conditioned" were rubbish because it was really hot, despite the Air-Con, so I danced a couple in my jacket, and then took it off. No one batted an eyelid, and it still looked smart.

There were a number of male dancers who started in Waistcoat/Vest and they were fine also.

So, to anyone else looking on this thread for a definitive answer:

DO WHAT YOU WILL

Fr. S

Hi Fr Simon, it was good to meet you and your good lady on the cruise and a pleasure to spend some time with you on our last evening in the Queens Room!

I must add you looked v smart in your waistcoat and you are of course right that so long as gentlemen maintain a smart appearance anything re jacket does go on the dance floor.

I hope you enjoyed the remaining two weeks if your cruise and am sure you will now be hooked like the rest of us.

Linda and David x

Earlier this month I was on the QV and chatted to a cocktail waitress about the dress code. She said that they now had powers to 'police' the code, and she would turn anyone away from the bar if not wearing a jacket. She then added (without any prompting or questions from me) that of course that would not happen in the Queen's Room. It is acceptable to take off your jacket there.

That was a nice thought, but we sat in the Commodore Lounge for a cocktail, having made the effort to dress nicely to be met with an elderly drunk Welshman who dress in nothing but football strips long after the 6pm dresscode watershed. He was completely unchallenged all week.

That was a nice thought, but we sat in the Commodore Lounge for a cocktail, having made the effort to dress nicely to be met with an elderly drunk Welshman who dress in nothing but football strips long after the 6pm dresscode watershed. He was completely unchallenged all week.

Sorry, I think you are telling us a rather tall story here. ;) it's a well known fact in the cocktails bars on Cunard ( not the pub or Winter Garden bar) that the Bar staff have the authorisation to 'politely remind' guests of the dress code after 6pm. I travel up to three or four times a year across the Cunard fleet and have witnessed the interaction between Bar crew member and guest on this subject.

I understand that the bar crew are to give the guest the 'benefit of the doubt between the hour of 6pm until 7pm' . Often they are served the 'first drink' and politely reminded of the evening dress code in public areas. Crew have told me (and I've witnessed it) guests will comply and leave.

Over the last year I've observed notices that are now in place e.g. Bar top Chart Room QM2 and at the entrance to the cocktail Bars on the Vista class ships, of the evening dress code.

99.9% of those who choose to travel on Cunard are well aware of the formality, they are well heeled, well travelled sophisticated folk .

Never seen a Welsh man in football shirt ....are you sure it wasn't Rugby.