Britannia Dining on Saver fares

Host Hattie

We booked a late saver fare in mid June this year for the July 14th TA crossing from New York. We booked the cheapest inside stateroom. We were upgraded to an outside room 4011. On arrival on the ship we found that we had the late sitting for dinner which was what we wanted. We find that the loss of the hour at lunchtime means that the early sitting is just too early to eat dinner.

We were on a table for 6 but most of the time there were only 4 of us. Our companions were good company and we met a couple of times for drinks before dinner as well as eating with them.

All in all we had a great holiday and thought it was fantastic value.Whilst there were clearly a range of people on board we found that there were enough people like us; for us to have a good holiday, classical music, 3D opera, RADA presentations and intelligent talks as well as good food! Though some of the entertainment did seem to be aimed at a rather different clientele, we did not have to attend! The service was excellent and very helpful, all in all a wonderful experience.

We just book on the internet.. I think using agents doesnt really happen much in the UK anymore however to answer your question.

It is always worth checking travel agent deals and prices - they can be a considerably better deal than Cunard's own website offers.

Thanks to everyone who shared their Saver dining (& other) experiences so far. I know what has happened up to now is no guarantee to what will happen in the future but it helps to hear what has happened to others.

Just to add our own experience - we had a Late Saver on QM2 from Southampton to the Canaries last November. We got a table for 6 on late sitting which is what we would have asked for if offered a choice.

Edited by Host Hattie

We took my 82 year old, mother, who needed a wheelchair and an oxygen concentrator and she was allocated a cabin two decks below us and at the opposite end of the ship!

We tried explaining, but to no avail. As it happens, her cabin sterwardess was exceptionally good and kept an eye on her for us and had our cabin number in case we were needed. But it DEFINITELY isn't a given that booking two cabins means they will even be nearby.

Basically cos a saver fare allocates the cabins that are left after the Cunard fare payers and early savers have theirs.

How can they give 2 cabins next to each other, when they are slotting you in?

They could not have had 2 cabins next to each other going unsold. Unfortunately for you the only way of guaranteeing 2 cabins next to each other is Cunard fare.

We have made a late booking twice and were allocated second sitting on the card in our cabin . If you can get on board before 1.30 pm , the daily programme usually mentions that you can go to the Britannia restaurant at that time and request a change of dining . This has been successful each time . Get there early if possible as people queue up before 1.30 and I think it closes at about 2.30 .

Basically cos a saver fare allocates the cabins that are left after the Cunard fare payers and early savers have theirs.

How can they give 2 cabins next to each other, when they are slotting you in?

They could not have had 2 cabins next to each other going unsold. Unfortunately for you the only way of guaranteeing 2 cabins next to each other is Cunard fare.

Actually we didn't ask for adjacent cabins, we asked if there might be two reasonably nearby. They chose to upgrade us - a LOT - which might have been better not done, but they wouldn't let us go back. However, with an excellent stewardess, it was fine.

The situation won't arise again as my mother is now far too ill to travel ever again.

This may be of interest to some. We sailed on a round transatlantic in July and enjoyed Britannia and our visits to Todd English speciality Grill so this time we have decided to do something a bit different in November as it's my 50th and our 10th anniversary year. We booked an inside saver and pre-booked a seating time at Todd English for the 28 day trip as the menu is quite extensive, tables for 2 numerous and the food sublime. This works for us two fold as on the saver booking we could not pre book Britannia sittings or a table for 2 in advance. We enjoy Britannia with M'd's always accommodating, but if the ship is full there is only so much table/sitting changing that can be done. The grill option experience at Todd English at $26 per head for dinner also seems reasonable.

Edited by robbie_3

We booked an inside saver and pre-booked a seating time at Todd English for the 28 day trip as the menu is quite extensive, tables for 2 numerous and the food sublime.

Do you mean the 28 day cruise to the Caribbean on the QM2 ?

And you're booked 28 nights in the Todd English ?

Inside saver : £1699 each

Plus 28 meals x $26 x 2 people : $1456 ( £950 ).

So that's £4348

P2 Grill : £4999 each.

So £4348 v £9998.

It's an idea. The only thing is that I recall the Todd English on the QV a few years ago and I don't think the menu changed during 14 nights. But I might be wrong and it may be different now.

But either way, it's a whacking saving !

Edited by ToadOfToadHall

Actually we didn't ask for adjacent cabins, we asked if there might be two reasonably nearby. They chose to upgrade us - a LOT - which might have been better not done, but they wouldn't let us go back. However, with an excellent stewardess, it was fine.

The situation won't arise again as my mother is now far too ill to travel ever again.

At that late date there may not have been two close by cabins to accommodate you and your mother without moving somebody else. Those who booked early they may have specified "do not upgrade" because they wanted a particular cabin or location. Fortunately your mother's cabin stewardess went above her pay grade to see that she was well looked after.

I seem to recall a thread where someone was able to convince a Cunard supervisor to give them their "old" cabin back - by suggesting that the people now in their "old" cabin get switched into their "new" cabin. It probably doesn't happen too often especially if there is a wide disparity between the fares paid.

How do I know if I booked a saver fare or Cunard fare? Five months ago I booked a 7 night queen Victoria cruise for the end of September. I thought $1199 per person for a balcony guarantee is a good price. There are four of us in two cabins so I requested a four person table but don't really know what we will get. I understand cabins being far apart since they are guarantees. Does that mean I booked a saver fare. The travel agent confirmation just says promotional fare.

How do I know if I booked a saver fare or Cunard fare? Five months ago I booked a 7 night queen Victoria cruise for the end of September. I thought $1199 per person for a balcony guarantee is a good price. There are four of us in two cabins so I requested a four person table but don't really know what we will get. I understand cabins being far apart since they are guarantees. Does that mean I booked a saver fare. The travel agent confirmation just says promotional fare.

The Cunard/Early Saver/Saver fare structures apply only to the UK. However your travel agent stated that it's a "promotional fare" and this likely has the same restrictions as the UK Saver fare - guarantee cabin only, no choice of dining time or seating. They will try to seat all four of you together but you might not get the seating you preferred. (Most of the dinner seating complaints posted here involve those who booked late fares, got assigned second sitting, and where unable switch to first sitting.)

Has your TA linked the bookings? That's crucial to being seated together. It's harder to fix once on board.

Edited by BlueRiband

ToadofToadhall,

That's the ticket. :)

You are correct that the Todd English menu is unlikely to change during the cruise. Fortunately as a meat eater the current menu is quite diverse with lamb, chicken, steak and pork options, as well as excellent fish dishes.

As this is a second cruise for what is a celebration year for us, we are hoping for a Grand Caribbean culinary experience.

It's an idea. The only thing is that I recall the Todd English on the QV a few years ago and I don't think the menu changed during 14 nights. But I might be wrong and it may be different now.

But either way, it's a whacking saving !

Queen Victoria has had The Verandah (replacing Todd English) for some time now.

As a Canadian can I see these saver fares anywhere (for comparison purposes)? When I try to log into the Cunard UK site my computer switches to cunard.com which is the US site.

Not that I'm aware of any way unless somebody from the UK sent a direct URL. If a direct URL is entered you'll be able to get the UK site but once you click any link it will automatically direct to the US site. On TAs UK fares include one way flights while US fares are always voyage only so it's hard to make a direct comparison of the value.

Edited by BlueRiband

As a Canadian can I see these saver fares anywhere (for comparison purposes)? When I try to log into the Cunard UK site my computer switches to cunard.com which is the US site.

Download TUNNELBEAR

It allows you to select a Country of the target site and tricks the target you are from that Country. A monthly useage for free.

Simples.

I've just booked for next summer and was not allowed to select a preference. I have expressed a preference but won't know until I board! First time with Cunard and this isn't really the best start. But, hey ho, I selected the cruise because it offered the right itinerary at the right time; and I wish to do a T/A in the future, too.

Rob

I've just booked for next summer and was not allowed to select a preference. I have expressed a preference but won't know until I board! First time with Cunard and this isn't really the best start...

If it's summer 2016 you probably booked Early Saver if you were not allowed to select a dining preference. This from ask.cunard.com:

Our Cunard Fare benefit from the following advantages:

• available on all cruises regardless of when you book
  • choice of stateroom number (subject to availability)
  • first priority for receiving your chosen dining seating time (in the Britannia Restaurant) and table size
  • highest priority for receiving stateroom upgrades (where applicable)
  • complimentary shuttle buses in port to get from the ship to the nearest town or transport hub (where applicable and provided by Cunard)
  • 15% deposit
  • Flexibility to change your booking (subject ot our booking conditions)
  • Plus a choice of benefits as follows: on board spending money or car parking at Southampton or return coach transfers or airport parking

Early Saver

We may introduce an Early Saver Fare on selected cruises. These fares offer a lower fare with some benefits:

• available on selected cruises
  • only a 15% deposit is required at the time of booking
  • your preference of dining time in the Britannia Restaurant will be confirmed on boarding, subject to availability
  • Cunard will assign your stateroom location and number

Edited by BlueRiband

Cheers both, unfortunately did not become clear until after I'd booked. Not used to this on other lines. Rob

I've never booked from the UK side, but if you clicked on some link from an advertisement that could explain it. You probably were sent into a parallel booking system where only the eligible categories and choices were displayed. Since we don't have this tiered fare structure in the US we see this only when a promotional code is entered.

Now if you really want the advantages of the Cunard fare, a call to Cunard can fix that.:D It all depends on whether you consider the lower price of the Early Saver Fare to be worth having fewer advantages than with the Cunard Fare.

Edited by BlueRiband

Have booked savers twice and have had no complaints booked balcony and said no upgrade got on QE just a bit back from the stern 4180 on QV a year later 4183 same area different side of ship. No you cant choose sitting but apparently TA said, most want early, I normally book early but this time have booked late. Both of these cruises were almost 2 for the price of 1. So I was very happy. The one in Nov I got another deal so we just went for it, not as good as the previous but still not bad but got to choose suite on this one.

My sister in law booked her cruise almost a year in advance payed full wack and was upgraded 2 or 3 times ending up in Grills, she was more than pleased. This is where they get the suites for the deals. People who pay the full amount and allow themselves to be upgraded. Thats why sometimes you dont know the suite until almost sailing time.

Edited by electra2008