QM2 Internet?

Karen Lynn

I'd call it typical for a ship. Slowest speeds are experienced just after breakfast and before dinner - prime times for checking emails. Late at night, after 11PM, I could download a podcast in about the same time as on my home DSL.

Anecdotal complaints of poor connectivity from Apple users. The main complaint was an inability to get a wifi signal unless the stateroom door was open. I don't make this up but some devotees chose not to believe me. My compact old XP machine has traveled with me on five voyages and I've never had a signal problem even on my balcony. Just my observation.

Edited by BlueRiband

I would say average speeds. We tend to be early risers when we travel, and I found that very early in the morning was good. After breakfast, a lot of people go to the computer centre or crank up their devices to check email and it slows down.

Signal strength has always been good in our cabin, but I've never tried the balcony.

For average use, checking emails, quick nose on FB, sending and receiving texts how would you cost this? Obviously I wouldn't use it to excess due to expecting high charges?

What is the best way to access the internet? I am an EE customer.

If you travel with a laptop or tablet or smartphone, it's easy to connect to the wifi on your own device. You have to go to the computer centre and set up your account from there. They offer several different packages. Once that's done, you can log on with your own device.

We get free internet time, (8 hours) and on our 12-day trip, I used just under half of it, checking a few favorite websites and sending emails each day. Because I travel with a laptop, I can compose longer emails offline and then paste into the message pane, and that saves a lot of minutes.

Someone else will have to address the issue of texts, as I don't text much, and never at sea.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

You have to go to the computer centre and set up your account from there.

QUOTE]

You can set up your account anywhere. No need to go to the computer room, though you can ask the computer guy to do it for you (usually there is a queue)

You simply need to choose a package, and a password and add cabin number.

David.

You have to go to the computer centre and set up your account from there.

QUOTE]

You can set up your account anywhere. No need to go to the computer room, though you can ask the computer guy to do it for you (usually there is a queue)

You simply need to choose a package, and a password and add cabin number.

David.

That's good to know. We always trudge to the computer room to set up the package.

Average speed for a cruise ship, no better, no worse. Works OK for simple internet searches and email. But large files such as sending or receiving photos or Youtube, etc. can be a problem. But really no different than other ships.

I agree with BlueRiband: Trying to use early in the morning or later in the evening---which are less popular times---should result in less frustration.

I also believe internet speed can have something to do with your location on the globe. Anyone else have an opinion about this?

We never take our own computers onboard, using the public computers exclusively. This has worked fine for our needs. I can, however, see advantages to being able to use your own computer to send photos like postcards.

Do remember to log-yourself-off each time you use. One's computer time can continue to dwindle without this vital step.

Happy Sailing!

If you travel with a laptop or tablet or smartphone, it's easy to connect to the wifi on your own device. You have to go to the computer centre and set up your account from there. They offer several different packages. Once that's done, you can log on with your own device.

We get free internet time, (8 hours) and on our 12-day trip, I used just under half of it, checking a few favorite websites and sending emails each day. Because I travel with a laptop, I can compose longer emails offline and then paste into the message pane, and that saves a lot of minutes.

Someone else will have to address the issue of texts, as I don't text much, and never at sea.

How did you get free 8 hour internet access? Via the ship or your internet/phone provider?

I was using the internet prior to breakfast in the Golden Lion last year and found the signal good and fairly fast. Now with all the tablets, etc. you don't know how many people throughout the ship are trying to log on so during the day it can be painfully slow. But then I remember in the early days on the QM2 losing the signal for a day or two and having no internet.

Several years ago a lot of us ran into a problem when Yahoo and Hotmail did not like the ship's address and did not allow us access to our accounts from the ship's computers. After that I made of a point of bringing my own which is so much easier with the tablet.

We were on crossings last November and December. The Internet was very good throughout high winds and not so great weather on the North Atlantic.

We just disembarked the QM2 this morning. I do not know what happened to the Internet but it was woeful and the sailing was smooth, hot and sunny. I used both my and my husband's complimentary (gold) minutes to send 4 short basic "we're fine" emails and to quickly check my emails everyday. Sometimes it took me 4 tries to successfully log on. I found it was easiest to go to ConneXions and use the computer there. Again, it was not great but at least I didn't waste so many minutes for little results. It was too frustrating to use for anything but very basic communication.

Edited by Cancun01

Having recently exhausted my 2 hr free Gold Member internet allocation on board using my tablet in cabin, I found connecting with my smartphone to the ship using 2G surprisingly cheap in order to briefly check my e mails daily. I was able to conduct brief business messages this way sending and receiving e mails quite easily. I deliberately refrained from downloading more expensive larger internet files.

BobBranst,

Well done for helping to raise a helpful point. We will definitely purchase a 2 hour internet package under each name to ensure we fall within the 2hour free Gold Member internet allowance as the alternative is a less generous pay as you go package that only entitles Gold Members to 1 free hour (according to purser written guidelines).

Sign up on embarkation day and you get something like 10 extra minutes in the package. Every little bit helps.

We got 30 minutes per person when we signed up last time (a couple weeks ago). And the connection was good. I had to work both ways of the crossing, so was glad to see it work so well. Very large files were slow. But we WERE in the middle of the ocean. :-)

One trick is to go online when the staff are less likely to be online. This from a friend who reminded us that they go online, too!