QM2 laundrettes

Longlast

Is there really only one laundrette on QM2 (deck 6 starboard aft)? I would expect more laundrettes for so many passengers, but can't find more on the brochure deck plans. I remember about 5 laundrettes on QE last year. When is/are the QM2 laundrette/s likely to be least busy?

It's wonderful to read all the advice from those of you who have travelled before on QM2.

Deck 4 Starboard - forward

Deck 5 Port - aft

Deck 6 Starboard - aft

Deck 8 Port - aft

Deck 10 Starboard - forward

Deck 11 Starboard - forward

They are busy all the time especially the first two days and again the last two days since passengers arrive from land trips with lots of dirty clothes and then are going onward and want to leave with clean clothes.

The room is open 7:30 am - 9 pm

On the upper decks, the laundries are hidden in the little side corridors which which lead to some inside cabins. I've seen ship's officers, including the Deputy Captain, use the one on 11, which sits right next to a door opening into crew quarters.

We were on board last year - and we found the best time to go was around 6pm - half of the passengers are then on the early sitting in britannia - and since we had a late sitting - we were able to get lots done then :-)

I love the little bags of detergent they leave for you! we managed to wash everything before we disembarked so went home with nice clean clothes :-) which was brilliant since we are a family of 4!!

x

We were on the November 19th crossing. Fortunately we were just starting out and did not need the laundry facilities except for one very small load near the end of the week. The laundry near our stateroom was busy and at full capacity from 7:30 am when it opened until closing which if I recall is 9 or 9:30 pm. People were waiting so if a load finished and the person was not their clothes were promptly removed and placed in one of the two baskets in the room. There was quite a bit of hostility towards those who were using the machines to wash their warm weather clothing from their finished Caribbean vacation and those who needed their clothes washing for their current daily wear. I saw one of the comedians about the ship and I mentioned to him that he should hang out in the laundry to obtain some material for his show.

When we boarded the ship for the December 15 crossing I raced to the machines on the first morning as I don't like spending my vacation doing "chores" and I certainly didn't want to get into battles over washers and dryers. Only one other person and I were there. The machines were no where near as busy on that crossing. So you can't predict how busy the machines will be.

My only advice is make sure you are around when your washer or dryer load is expected to finish or you may find your wet clothes from the washer in a basket

and the dryer that should have been yours through rotation in use.

Edited by Cancun01

We were on board last year - and we found the best time to go was around 6pm - half of the passengers are then on the early sitting in britannia - and since we had a late sitting - we were able to get lots done then :-)

I love the little bags of detergent they leave for you! we managed to wash everything before we disembarked so went home with nice clean clothes :-) which was brilliant since we are a family of 4!!

x

Whilst I am sure it is nice to go home with clean clothes I can find much better things to do on board than a pile of washing at the end of a voyage....and maybe that act took away the opportunity for someone else who really needed to wash some clothes? Just a thought.....

...and maybe that act took away the opportunity for someone else who really needed to wash some clothes? Just a thought.....

That's harsh. If the laundry room is open and empty I say go for it. No reason to wait in case somebody else might come.

Agree - if it is empty. But washing clothes for 4 people must have taken up more than one machine surely? And how many others may have come along to use the machines, found them full and gone away?

I don't think it is a harsh comment - and wasn't meant to be. Just something for people to consider. There are plenty of other posts/threads on here about people hogging the laundry machines!

I guess it's 'horses for courses'. I can't imagine doing my washing before leaving the ship. I know I always feel that when my clothes have been crushed in my suitcase, I want to wash and iron them again. Lately I have forced myself not to wash everything, but only to wash the clothes that I won't wear again for a few months (i.e. the wrong season clothes). (Evening wear gets hung out on the line on a windy day to be freshened up. I've been told that's better than dry cleaning, especially as I have chemical sensitivities.)

Also, having ME/CFS, I weigh every decision against the amount of energy involved. It takes so much less energy to wash and iron in a familiar environment than to do so in the cramped, communal laundrette.

Other people have different life situations and would choose differently.

• 6 months later...

x

I don't mind you doing your washing at around 6pm, but hands off the irons please ;):D:D

This is just about the time I'm running around preparing to dress for the evening and need to press the creases out of the seat of my trousers ;)

Edited by Bell Boy

QV -

on our deck had front loaders.

Cunard should label the washers as to how long the cycle is.

They always seems in use.

One of 3 machines on the deck above was broken (and really smelled bad) entire cruise- can ship crew fix them or is fixing done only by shore repairmen?

I think the above photos may have been taken a little while ago ? Almost all the laundrettes (on QM) have now been refitted to front load. ( at least several decks have been refitted in the new style the other week)

With new style they have managed to fit in an additional washer & dryer as there are four now, not three. :)

QV -

on our deck had front loaders.

Cunard should label the washers as to how long the cycle is.

They always seems in use.

One of 3 machines on the deck above was broken (and really smelled bad) entire cruise- can ship crew fix them or is fixing done only by shore repairmen?

The instructions on how to operate the washers on Queen Victoria and how long the cycle takes , are in a framed notice on the wall, just above the small hand-basin . One needs their spectacles on as the print is too small .:)

I too think it would be helpful to give information about how the cycle might last.

At home my washing machine takes well over an hour to do a load so I left it a long time before returning to find that my washing was in a basket. Not a problem but it didn't occur to me to come back any sooner.

Edited by CABINET

I too think it would be helpful to give information about how the cycle might last.

At home my washing machine takes well over an hour to do a load so I left it a long time before returning to find that my washing was in a basket. Not a problem but it didn't occur to me to come back any sooner.

When we were on QM2 last month, there was a clearly visible sign saying how long the wash cycle takes. They didn't say which cycle, though, but maybe there isn't a lot of difference in timing. And, yes, the photo is old. The washers were all front loaders. And everything was working fine on deck 6. (I mean the machines. The irons, OTOH, leave much to be desired)

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

When we were on QM2 last month, there was a clearly visible sign saying how long the wash cycle takes. They didn't say which cycle, though, but maybe there isn't a lot of difference in timing. And, yes, the photo is old. The washers were all front loaders. And everything was working fine on deck 6. (I mean the machines. The irons, OTOH, leave much to be desired)

That's good to know. Thanks.

It says 45 minutes but I reckoned it was nearer 55.

I agree that given how busy the machine are (at 7.35am there was a queue of 3 or 4 people who thought they had got there early but all machines were already occupied -door was opened up at 7.20am), doing washing before you go home is selfish.

We (4 of us) did a 3 week road trip before our crossing and had 5 bags of laundry but I prioritised what was actually needed (2 loads) for the voyage and brought everything else home dirty. The machines towards the end of the voyage are really needed by people who are not going straight home.

I didn't think the machines were very good. OK for a freshen up but didn't get any marks out.