QM2 WB flights home

sea gal

Thinking about a QM 2 WB cruise can anyone tell me how Cunard handles the the flight back to UK ie which airline? And will be taken to the airport straight after disembarking?

If you are flexible in your travel plans , why not consider flying out to NYC and take the QM2 back ?

WHY ?

Hanging around all day, after disembarking QM2 at around 9.am ish for the evening RED EYE ! flight back to the UK is not much fun even though Cunard offer a quick bus tour or Manhattan before dumping you off at the kerb at JFK to join the queues of 'Belts ,Shoes and those arrogant JFK ground staff'.

Get the daylight flight out of the way first ! ( remember you are already refreshed) Take an empty or spare suit case with you and shop until you drop , no worries about luggage restrictions on the way home.

Unlike the Red Eye, you will have had a good nights sleep a refreshing shower and time for a hearty breakfast before your journey home . And no queueing at Terminal 5 to clear passport and customs .:)

Edited by Bell Boy

If you are flexible in your travel plans , why not consider flying out to NYC and take the QM2 back ?

WHY ?

Hanging around all day, after disembarking QM2 at around 9.am ish for the evening RED EYE ! flight back to the UK is not much fun even though Cunard offer a quick bus tour or Manhattan before dumping you off at the kerb at JFK to join the queues of 'Belts ,Shoes and those arrogant JFK ground staff'.

Get the daylight flight out of the way first ! ( remember you are already refreshed) Take an empty or spare suit case with you and shop until you drop , no worries about luggage restrictions on the way home.

Unlike the Red Eye, you will have had a good nights sleep a refreshing shower and time for a hearty breakfast before your journey home . And no queueing at Terminal 5 to clear passport and customs .:)

Good advice if the timings suit your travel requirements. Most of my TA trips are a business journey and the return leg never seems to work out for me - maybe one day. Certainly getting rid of that overnight flight is a good idea - I have frequently used the daytime flight from NY or Toronto to London - just a bit late getting home but helps with the jet lag for sure.

WHY ?

Thanks for that but we want to sail Westbound into New York so we are looking for advice as to what happens when you disembark.

I'm asking this as the fare includes the flight back to UK.

Do Cunard offer free transfer to the airport?

Do they take you to a hotel for a few hours?

Which airline do they use?

No info on the Cunard website

Thanks for that but we want to sail Westbound into New York so we are looking for advice as to what happens when you disembark.

I'm asking this as the fare includes the flight back to UK.

Do Cunard offer free transfer to the airport?

No info on the Cunard website

You should talk to them - they are often quite flexible on flight arrangements BA / American / Virgin etc, which UK destination, and my experience is that their upgrades are pretty favourable prices.

Thanks for that but we want to sail Westbound into New York so we are looking for advice as to what happens when you disembark. I'm asking this as the fare includes the flight back to UK. Do Cunard offer free transfer to the airport?
If your booking includes a flight home EB to the UK, then yes, coach transfers are included from the ship to the airport. I've flown back the same day as I arrived a couple of times (also stayed in New York for a few days, and then flown back, several times)
Not normally*. The usual routine is for you to leave the ship after breakfast. You will be assigned a place in the theatre or a lounge to wait until you are called to disembark. From memory the usual time is approx 10.00 - 10.30.

The coach will then take you on a tour of Manhattan for an hour or two, stop for an hour or so, so you can have lunch and do your own thing (your luggage stays on the secure coach, the driver never leaves it). You all gather at a predetermined spot to be picked up and then continue your tour (which doesn't take long after lunch to be frank) and then driven to the airport. You will arrive in plenty of time for your flight (too much time to be honest, but that is better than too little).

(* Once, when the flight home was scheduled to be VERY late in the day, the coach dropped us at a good central hotel where luggage was stored, we then had several hours free time in Manhattan, a different coach took us to the airport in the early evening. We did not have use of the hotel's rooms).

Usually BA. But I've also had Virgin Atlantic. You can choose to upgrade your seat from economy to economy plus, business or first, once your flight times and airline are confirmed (not certain you can pick and choose your airline or time of departure however, unless that choice comes at extra cost, I've never tried).

Hope this helps, ask more questions please. Many, many photos taken on board QM2 during several WB transatlantic crossings at different times of the year, and pictures of New York, can be found via the link below (sailing dates range from Sept '06 to May '14)

Best wishes :)

Edited by pepperrn

I will be going WB in less than 3 weeks.

I booked crossing only and got a better price, then after 3 nights in NYC, we will fly back to Glasgow on Icelandair, business class.

Alternatively, they will arrange flights whenever you want, but they charge a small fortune for an upgrade.

Stewart