Queen Mary 2 Questions

Fletch1

Greetings,

We have never sailed on the QM2 and have the opportunity to book a BY cabin (5233). It is an enclosed balcony cabin and has a connecting room. The few photos I have found on the net of the balcony don't do it justice.

If anybody has cruised in one of these cabins, could you tell me what the balcony is like and if you can hear the occupants in the next cabin through the closed connecting door.

We have stayed in a hotel before with a connecting door and you could hear the people in the adjoining room talking through the closed door.

Thanks for any advice.

Greetings, We have never sailed on the QM2 and have the opportunity to book a BY cabin (5233). It is an enclosed balcony cabin and has a connecting room. The few photos I have found on the net of the balcony don't do it justice. If anybody has cruised in one of these cabins, could you tell me what the balcony is like and if you can hear the occupants in the next cabin through the closed connecting door. We have stayed in a hotel before with a connecting door and you could hear the people in the adjoining room talking through the closed door. Thanks for any advice.
Hi Fletch1

Photos of the "balcony" of QM2 "Sheltered Balcony" cabins on Deck 5 can be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/

Under "QM2 Cabins Britannia Grades"

(also here:

)

I've had this type of Balcony Cabin (on decks 4, 5 & 6) more often than any other type, I love them. The "balcony" feels more like a separate room than a true "balcony".

As for noise from neighbours via a connecting door... depends on the neighbours I suppose, but when I've had such a door in a cabin (twice) I've never heard a thing. Indeed both times I assumed the cabin next door was empty, until I saw my neighbours arriving/leaving their cabin. If they turn the TV up loud, or shout a lot, you could have issues. I haven't so far.

Photos of the interiors and public rooms of QM2, and pictures taken on many crossings and cruises can be found via the link below.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by pepperrn

We were in 5241 in May, the only time we had any noise through the connecting door was on the last night when our neighbours had people round for drinks before dinner.

I'm not a huge fan of the sheltered balconies although they are useful in bad weather. We've had them on our last couple of trips and I'm not sure I would book another one (my husband likes them though !).

On one occasion we had an inside cabin with a connecting door and could hear every word the people in the next cabin said. Foolishly, we never complained and asked for this to be fixed.

With a good seal, I don't believe you can hear anything (save full-volume shouting). If there is anything wrong with your cabin (poorly flushing toilet, dripping shower, or improperly sealed connecting door) these things can be fixed in short order, if you just speak up.

I understand the sheltered balconies are prized locations. We have stayed on deck 5 and it is a convenient location.

Have a wonderful voyage!

A Sheltered Balcony on QM2 is no problem at all. Not too sure if you are taking a 'cruise' or a transatlantic trip ?

If you are doing a transatlantic, then a sheltered balcony is what it's all about ! These are built for a crossing. ( not much time to enjoy a balcony on a crossing unless you have good sunny days)

As for connecting doors , I have to say it wasn't a problem at all. For the very first time in years I was recently allocated a cabin that had a connecting door. ( July) The cabin steward saw my face as I entered ....." No problem Sir "! "I'll arranged something for you at turn down"

They can actually put up a sort of screen ( both sides) It's a sort of 'stretch nylon sound proof curtain' that looks like the original wall panel . Quite effective and I never heard a thing from my neighbours ...and I doubt they heard anything from me.

I've never seen anything like this before in hotels , so if anyone out there is allocated a connecting door on Cunard (QM2) enquire with your steward about it :) .

Edited to add: The screen is fixed only around the connecting 'door area'

Edited by Bell Boy

The sheltered balcony works well in windy or somewhat cold conditions. It's not a very pretty space, but it's practical. You can hear your neighbors if they are out on their balcony and are noisy, otherwise, it's somewhat private. This is very practical for a crossing.

The sheltered balcony meets our minimum standard for a balcony stateroom so it's our stateroom of choice for most trips. The lack of a glass front prevents seeing the water from inside the stateroom but that's been a small tradeoff for a significant savings compared with the glass front balconies on Deck 11. There's also a better view directly down to the hull & water from a sheltered balcony compared to staterooms above Deck 7 where the promenade extends outward.

Hi Fletch, i was wondering which cruise you might be talking about? We are looking at QM2 Valpraiso to Brisbane departing Feb 17 2016. We too are interested in the sheltered balconies and what experienced QM2 cruisers have to say about them. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Hi Fletch, i was wondering which cruise you might be talking about? We are looking at QM2 Valpraiso to Brisbane departing Feb 17 2016. We too are interested in the sheltered balconies and what experienced QM2 cruisers have to say about them. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

That's the cruise I was looking at......except to Sydney. I got a fabulous deal......22 nights at AUD$1699 each for the balcony cabin which included gratuities paid plus US$1000 OBC plus 2 bottles of champagne....a great deal.

HOWEVER....I just learned this morning that we have a family wedding here we are committed to at the same time, so I won't be able to take up the deal (bugger). But, from my research and the comments from the great people here, I would have been very happy with that type of cabin. Considering it was $77 each per day.....well...........