Queens Grill v's The Verandah

mvercoe

Hi, could anyone please assist. I am taking my wife on a surprise first ever trip on QM2. We will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary whilst cruising and I was wondering if I should spend the extra for the Verandah restaurant on the anniversary night or if I should stay with the Queens Grill as it would be just as good and not worth the extra expense? From what I have read, the Queens Grill restaurant is quite special but I have not read much about the Verandah restaurant.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for that. I did and it does look interesting and I love French food but as you can order off menu in Queens Grill, this might also be an option possibly. Has anyone eaten in the Verandah and would like to share some feedback?

Normally, I'd suggest that for a special occasion. "going out" to someplace other than your usual table might be worthwhile.

However, since you're QG - how about meeting with the Maitre d' at the start and work with him to design a perfect off-menu celebration?

I think Mark has a good idea, Maybe the maitre'd at Queens can satisfy you. Queens is very nice, but caution that the ordering off the menu option has limitations. They will not be able to prepare anything you want but more likely something within the range of their usual off-the-menu options, and that may be just the ticket for you. On the other hand, we've dined in the Verandah a few times and loved it and think it is worth the splurge. Make sure your table is not next to the kitchen/prep area as that is super-noisy and not at all luxury level. You have 2 good options and I know you will have a wonderful 20th celebration. I wish you many many more. Love rules!

Thanks for that. I did and it does look interesting and I love French food but as you can order off menu in Queens Grill, this might also be an option possibly. Has anyone eaten in the Verandah and would like to share some feedback?

We've not eaten in the Verandah as it always seems a shame to pay extra for something you can invariably order in the restaurant.

The general QG attitude is, if the ingredients are on the ship then given notice, the chefs will make the dish for you. Nothing is too much trouble. We have never come across any off menu limitations because in our reasonably extensive experience on QE and QV, if the ingredients are on-board for the 'pay for' restaurants, then you will be able to order it in QG. I would have thought Cunard's flagship would have that same 'ruling'.

Great suggestion to discuss a menu a couple of days in advance of 'your day'.

Hi, could anyone please assist. I am taking my wife on a surprise first ever trip on QM2. We will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary whilst cruising and I was wondering if I should spend the extra for the Verandah restaurant on the anniversary night or if I should stay with the Queens Grill as it would be just as good and not worth the extra expense? From what I have read, the Queens Grill restaurant is quite special but I have not read much about the Verandah restaurant.

If u have a table for 2 in QG then maybe remain in QG and, as suggested speak with the Maitre 'd - maybe even look over the Verandah menu to get some ideas.

That said, as an extra special evening the Verandah can be truly excellent and it will be a change from the "routine" on QG on your trip.

It is a while back for me in the Queens Grill but I thought the Veranda (on QE) was far more of a special occasion than the Queens Grill. The food was absolutely wonderful and served in that French restaurant way. I could have been in a good restaurant in Paris. An absolute treat.

Best wishes, Stephen.

We have thought the same with regards to the Verandah restaurant. We are booked in QG on QE for our 35th wedding anniversary and having looked at sample menus on Cunard's website for both QG and the Verandah we do not think it is worth paying the supplement for the Verandah and will stay in QG.

I think Mark has a good idea, Maybe the maitre'd at Queens can satisfy you. Queens is very nice, but caution that the ordering off the menu option has limitations. They will not be able to prepare anything you want but more likely something within the range of their usual off-the-menu options, and that may be just the ticket for you. On the other hand, we've dined in the Verandah a few times and loved it and think it is worth the splurge. Make sure your table is not next to the kitchen/prep area as that is super-noisy and not at all luxury level. You have 2 good options and I know you will have a wonderful 20th celebration. I wish you many many more. Love rules!

We've never had an issue ordering off menu in the Queens Grill. I'd always tell them if it takes a day or 2 that's fine & we'll plan around that schedule.

We've never had an issue ordering off menu in the Queens Grill. I'd always tell them if it takes a day or 2 that's fine & we'll plan around that schedule.

Same here and always ready within 24 hours.

A lunchtime Steak Tartare with a good Malbec is kind of a religion to us...

32555980140_873b6cf089_z.jpg

As regards the Verandah, well of course we eat there as well.

As Diamond members we get a 'free' lunch ticket.

I say 'free' but would never dream of not washing the meal down without a bottle of wine.

On a recent trans Atlantic visit I just loved their Seared Sea Scallop Minestrone...

31764087415_c588651713_z.jpg