Passports

TexAggie10

For a "closed loop cruise"- one that starts and ends in the same port, you do not need a passport, only an official birth certificate and a government issued photo ID. It doesn't matter if you are getting off the ship or not.

A passport is your ticket to the world. Not having one for a closed loop cruise is not crazy, but if you think about what a passport gets you..it is hard to argue against acquiring one.

Given the current state of politics and affairs, a passport may be required in the future for any international travel...

I know I've seen other posts about this but how necessary are passports? We are going to Cozumel and Progreso but only getting off the boat in Cozumel. Please tell me we're not crazy for not having passports [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If, despite what government authorities say is the rule, your cruise lines chooses to always require passports for embarkation (as do most premium and luxury lines regardless of itinerary), then YES, you might be crazy - since there would be no way you'd be allowed to board.

Most importantly, however, if international air travel is in your plan (or or required for an emergency), you'll get nowhere without a passport.

Consider this. If you spend $110 + $25 Execution Fee if first passport, for the next ten years, at $13 a year, if someone runs up to you and asks if you can go to Europe - all expenses paid - leaving tomorrow, you can say yes. For the cost of a cup of coffee a month.

Not gonna happen? Happened to me. [emoji4][emoji106]

Though not necessary for this cruise, my advice would be to get the passport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Consider this. If you spend $110 + $25 Execution Fee if first passport, for the next ten years, at $13 a year, if someone runs up to you and asks if you can go to Europe - all expenses paid - leaving tomorrow, you can say yes. For the cost of a cup of coffee a month.

Not gonna happen? Happened to me. [emoji4][emoji106]

Though not necessary for this cruise, my advice would be to get the passport.

Yup, I worked for a major grain company and we had to get documents to Australia. I was the only one that had a valid passport in our department. We were down to the wire and the mailing department finally found a courier that would hand walk them off the plane. Another 10 minutes and the tickets would be bought and I would be forced to fly business class to Sydney, stay 10 days all expenses paid, no vacation time because it was work. The guys in the Sydney office were excited to show me the sights. It was going to be amazing until she found that damn courier.

Another trip, I had just become a citizen and had to hand in all my documents during the swearing in process. My DH had an opportunity to fly to South Africa for a week. I had no passport. I'm still a little pissed. He stayed in a great hotel, did a safari, the whole bit and I couldn't go because I didn't have a passport. Grrrr. I was able to go to Paris, England and Japan on his business trips though :D. Now I always have a valid passport and so do my kids and grandkids. You just never know when momma will say, let's go cruising!

The legal department at work sent an urgent email for any employee traveling to Canada from the US to contact a designated person to obtain a document to assist for reentry to the United States. That's right US Citizens with a valid United States passport are having trouble reentering the United States. Work colleagues in Chicago who are United States citizens had a lengthy wait to reenter the United States because of the short duration of their to Canada. My trip the in a week to Canada should be interesting since I have a NEXUS card. Eye scan to enter Canada and a palm scan to reenter the United States. I have a passport, passcard, NEXUS and TSA Pre since I frequently travel.

I would never leave the United States without a passport.

OP, millions of people travel on closed loop cruises every year with something other than a passport and have no issues at all so no, you aren't crazy. I personally have never had anyone run up to me and offer to send me anywhere so I suspect that doesn't happen very often to most people. You can try to justify the expense by "spreading it out" I suppose but the reality is the total is due with the application.

I know I've seen other posts about this but how necessary are passports? We are going to Cozumel and Progreso but only getting off the boat in Cozumel. Please tell me we're not crazy for not having passports [emoji4]

I can't imagine in today's political climate traveling anywhere outside the US without a passport. If I'm on a cruise to St. Thomas and get seriously ill I would be taken off the ship while in port for medical treatment. Then I'm officially off the ship with no passport. I don't even want to think of the problems I might have getting back into the US. I wouldn't dream of traveling outside the US without a passport. But that's just my two bytes worth.

Edited by LilOleLady

I can't imagine in today's political climate traveling anywhere outside the US without a passport. If I'm on a cruise to St. Thomas and get seriously ill I would be taken off the ship while in port for medical treatment. Then I'm officially off the ship with no passport. I don't even want to think of the problems I might have getting back into the US. I wouldn't dream of traveling outside the US without a passport. But that's just my two bytes worth.

You might be interested to know St Thomas is part of the US.

St Thomas is a US territory and you can fly there with just an ID, but I do understand what you are saying. Personally I'm not that concerned with it, so it still comes down to individual comfort level.

I am going on a cruise with my mother in April, and my husband and I are frequent cruisers with passports. My mother has some health issues. It was suggested by the cruise line that we get her passport updated just in case we have to fly back for a medical emergency. They said with the current political climate, we could be denied entry into the US if we don't have the "required paperwork" even if we are US citizens.

Better to be careful than sorry.

You might be interested to know St Thomas is part of the US.

The guy said if he was going to St Thomas. I'm pretty sure on a cruise that they stop at ports along the way. They just don't go from point A to point B. So know that too. You just wanted to be a smart***. Stop belittling yourself, we all know you are smarter than that.

Just an FYI....I applied for my very first Passport on January 31st. Decided not to spend extra to expedite it. I received it in yesterday's mail. That was 22 days total turn around. Now I have some extra piece of mind in traveling outside my comfort zone.

About 17 years ago when we were returning from Mexico with our three kids, who did not passports. My husband and I did. The customs and immigration officer told us that birth certificates were a hot commodity with identity thieves. They have all the information a thief needs. Also, anyone with a birth certificate in their hand that is close to your age and can use it for all kinds of mischief that, at best, will be a headache you. Birth certificates do not expire. I've had mine for 60 years☺️. So anyone who gets ahold of yours can use it forever.

Yes, you will keep yours locked in the safe in your cabin during the cruise. That is what we told the customs guy we had done. He wasn't impressed. It is volunerable between your home and the ship.

Before we traveled internationally with kids again we all had passports. The passports have traveled the world and the birth certificates stay locked up at home. Modern passports have a chip in them so if they are lost or stolen they can be invalidated and no one can use them.

Also those not considering passports might want to make sure of the Real ID rules and regulations in there state.

You can find a list of current information here: https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-enforcement-brief

Now mind you this all could change, and who knows if/when they will stop granting extensions. I know 2020 is a long way to plan out for, but still worth keeping in mind as some states are a lot sooner.

OP's state is Texas and I would assume they are sailing out of Galveston or Houston, but they would be fine until 2020 to fly somewhere else in the US.

For me here in Pennsylvania, as it stands, I would not be able to fly domestically with just a DL past Feb 2018.

For about a $10 a year investment, a passport isn't a bad idea and is currently the "ultimate" form of ID in the US. You basically need nothing else if you have your passport. I don't know about other state's fees, but in general I will pay about $8 a year for my PA Driver's Liscense, a passport isn't much more IMO to spend for the peace of mind.

I am going on a cruise with my mother in April, and my husband and I are frequent cruisers with passports. My mother has some health issues. It was suggested by the cruise line that we get her passport updated just in case we have to fly back for a medical emergency. They said with the current political climate, we could be denied entry into the US if we don't have the "required paperwork" even if we are US citizens.

Better to be careful than sorry.

You would probably be denied boarding for an aircraft to the US without a passport.

You would probably be denied boarding for an aircraft to the US without a passport.

Agreed... For several years now the US has required passports for anyone flying into the US. They also now require it for any land or sea entry. Not counting closed loop cruises of course. For now.

Wouldn't be terribly surprised if and when they add closed loops, too.

Also those not considering passports might want to make sure of the Real ID rules and regulations in there state.

You can find a list of current information here: https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-enforcement-brief

Now mind you this all could change, and who knows if/when they will stop granting extensions. I know 2020 is a long way to plan out for, but still worth keeping in mind as some states are a lot sooner.

OP's state is Texas and I would assume they are sailing out of Galveston or Houston, but they would be fine until 2020 to fly somewhere else in the US.

For me here in Pennsylvania, as it stands, I would not be able to fly domestically with just a DL past Feb 2018.

For about a $10 a year investment, a passport isn't a bad idea and is currently the "ultimate" form of ID in the US. You basically need nothing else if you have your passport. I don't know about other state's fees, but in general I will pay about $8 a year for my PA Driver's Liscense, a passport isn't much more IMO to spend for the peace of mind.

I am fortunate enough to live in a compliant state, but if I didn't and I did need a form of ID to travel domestically then I would consider the passport card before the passport, if I had no plans to travel internationally. The passport card is $55 for initial issue and $30 for renewal. A passport is only an investment if you are going to use it for it's intended purpose- international air travel.

Agreed... For several years now the US has required passports for anyone flying into the US. They also now require it for any land or sea entry. Not counting closed loop cruises of course. For now.

Anything can happen, but some things are less likely than others and changes to the closed loop exception are (in my mind anyway) less likely to happen. When DHS wrote the regulations they determined that a US citizen on a closed loop cruise presents a low risk to the national security and it is that determination that is critical. I suppose if something happened to change that risk then it might result in a change in the regs, but I don't believe that it has happened yet. We talk about the closed loop exception a lot on CC because we're all about cruising, but the regulations actually contain something like 10 exceptions to the passport rule.

No, passports are not required for all land or sea entries. Depending on the exact circumstances of travel a passport card, enhanced drivers license or one of a number of other WHTI-compliant documents are valid for land or sea entries.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going on my first cruise at the end of May and I debated whether to get a passport or not also. I'm from a non-compliant state and have already had issues (entering a military post) and carrying your birth certificate around isn't convenient or terribly safe, for reasons already mentioned. I didn't want to spend the money for the passport, but I sucked it up and just did it. My parents aren't in good shape and I'll have 2 kids and a husband back home and I'd want to be able to fly to them if necessary. Plus, what if there were some malfunction of the ship and they were forced to fly everyone home? I feel safer having it, just my 2 cents.

Going on first cruise next month with carnival. My wife and I debated on getting our passports and said we don't need one we will just use our birth certificate. I spoke with them and they said they have a package for $65 each we could get that would cover us in the event of an emergency. Few days later we talked about it and for the price you pay for a passport that last 10 yrs for adults and 5 yrs for kids. we went ahead and spent the money got it so we had it for future trips.

On a side note I had read on here in a thread about a ship having issues and had to fly everybody back. And after reading that. I'm glad we did get ours. I know the chances can be slim to none of that happening. Or how it all really worked out for them. But if anything was to happen and had fly back home it would be hard to do not having a passport.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app