Tortola-Taking the Island Tour

blondie from arizona

This ended up probably being one of the easiest tours to take. Get off the ship and either talk to the lady at the information booth, which was on the right hand side under a grey covered structure on our cruise OR just walk all the way down to the end of the shopping area (not that far) and talk to the coordinators down there. It is the same group and you get the same information. It is $20 each for a 2 hour tour that stops at Cane Garden Bay (CGB) OR it is $25 each for a 3 hour tour that lets you stay at CGB for an hour before returning to the shopping area. It is the same tour, just different bus. You either stop for 10 minutes or so, or you stay for an hour.

Since it was raining the day we were there we opted for the 2 hour tour. There was just enough time to run down to the Callwood distillery, take a picture and return to the beach area. The man had us pay for the trip B4 we got out at CGB and tip him when we returned to the pier.

There were also other buses there for people requesting other options. They are open air buses. In good condition. The ride was a little on the adventurous side, but we have been on worse. Tortola has narrow, steep roads. It is not the place to rent a car on your own. We returned before noon and they were still loading buses to take people out for the day.

If this is your first time on the island, this is a good option.

Sounds like a good tour. I'm not sure we need a beach stay for swimming, but I like the idea of an extended stop at Cane Garden Bay for a drink, visiting the distillery and enjoying the view.

Were there good stops for photos?

We're going in April and have a full day. Would be interested in doing something like this.

Dirk

Sounds like a good tour. I'm not sure we need a beach stay for swimming, but I like the idea of an extended stop at Cane Garden Bay for a drink, visiting the distillery and enjoying the view.

Were there good stops for photos?

We're going in April and have a full day. Would be interested in doing something like this.

Dirk

If not interested in snorkeling or visiting other islands an island tour is a great way to experience the beauty of Tortola! Drivers are lined-up at the pier offering different tours, and the gals at the visitor center can also help you find the tour for you. You will have some gorgeous, panoramic views of the bays and other islands from the mountain and the driver will make stops for photo ops.

A stop in CGB is a good idea, the Callwood rum distillery is calimed to be the oldest continually operating rum distillery in the Carib, and you'll have a chance to try and buy some of their Arundel rum.

https://www.facebook.com/CallwoodRumDistillery/

http://www.rumtherapy.com/2013/08/callwood-rum-distillery-tortola/

Quito's place is right there and you can buy some of his CD's and try one of his signature drinks (Quito Rymer is a popular recording artist). In the center of the bay is Myett's and they have a small gift shop there with some nice things. Also a great place for a lunch, as is Tony's next door.

With a full day in port you could even take a trip to Virgin Gorda to see the Baths and take a tour of Tortola when you return if you were up to it. But do enjoy your day on Tortola. It is our favorite place to stay - the culture there and the people are wonderful. There are also some nice shops near the port, be sure to stop in Sunny Caribbee, a great little spice and rub shop.

http://www.sunnycaribbee.com

If the tour only gives you 1 hr at CGB you may want to just stay and pay $8pp for a taxi later to have more time there...

Edited by blue_water
typos

If not interested in snorkeling or visiting other islands an island tour is a great way to experience the beauty of Tortola! Drivers are lined-up at the pier offering different tours, and the gals at the visitor center can also help you find the tour for you. You will have some gorgeous, panoramic views of the bays and other islands from the mountain and the driver will make stops for photo ops.

A stop in CGB is a good idea, the Callwood rum distillery is calimed to be the oldest continually operating rum distillery in the Carib, and you'll have a chance to try and buy some of their Arundel rum.

https://www.facebook.com/CallwoodRumDistillery/

http://www.rumtherapy.com/2013/08/callwood-rum-distillery-tortola/

Quito's place is right there and you can buy some of his CD's and try one of his signature drinks (Quito Rymer is a popular recording artist). In the center of the bay is Myett's and they have a small gift shop there with some nice things. Also a great place for a lunch, as is Tony's next door.

With a full day in port you could even take a trip to Virgin Gorda to see the Baths and take a tour of Tortola when you return if you were up to it. But do enjoy your day on Tortola. It is our favorite place to stay - the culture there and the people are wonderful. There are also some nice shops near the port, be sure to stop in Sunny Caribbee, a great little spice and rub shop.

http://www.sunnycaribbee.com

If the tour only gives you 1 hr at CGB you may want to just stay and pay $8pp for a taxi later to have more time there...

That sounds like a great idea. Would the taxi tour have any difficulties if we left the tour at Cane Garden Bay to make our own arrangements later? I understand there are taxis available there throughout the day?

Also, do you know where the drop-off is in relation to Myett's or Quito's?

Finally, the cruise line has an island-tour excursion that focuses on Pusser's Landing. Would that be an interesting alternative to the standard tour that includes CGB?

The Baths sound like a great trip, but I've seen so many huge boulders in my life that I'm more interested in getting oriented to Tortola this trip. Future trips I can focus on snorkeling or a beach day or off-island excursion.

Dirk

Edited by carolina_yankee

That sounds like a great idea. Would the taxi tour have any difficulties if we left the tour at Cane Garden Bay to make our own arrangements later? I understand there are taxis available there throughout the day?

Also, do you know where the drop-off is in relation to Myett's or Quito's?

Finally, the cruise line has an island-tour excursion that focuses on Pusser's Landing. Would that be an interesting alternative to the standard tour that includes CGB?

The Baths sound like a great trip, but I've seen so many huge boulders in my life that I'm more interested in getting oriented to Tortola this trip. Future trips I can focus on snorkeling or a beach day or off-island excursion.

Dirk

The tour guide shouldn't have a problem with you staying, just let him/her know when you arrive. The large safari taxis that hold 20+ people will drop folks off behind Myett's and Tony's (in the center of the bay) and line up there for the return. Not sure where the tour guide stops but it is a short walk between Quito's and Myett's.

The other western half of the bay is free of any establishments, there is a small villa on the east end that belongs to Val and Kareem Rymer who own Myett's.

The tour I've read of includes a boat ride to Sopers Hole (West End). There is a Pusser's Pub and store along with other shops. There is also a marina and the ferry terminal for Jost Van Dyke. Does this include a little time in Sopers Hole followed by an island tour? Sounds nice, you get a nice coastal tour on the water and probably less time on the land portion, not sure. But I would guess this still covers the island highlights. Do they give you any details to help choose?

Edited by blue_water

The tour guide shouldn't have a problem with you staying, just let him/her know when you arrive. The large safari taxis that hold 20+ people will drop folks off behind Myett's and Tony's (in the center of the bay) and line up there for the return. Not sure where the tour guide stops but it is a short walk between Quito's and Myett's.

The other western half of the bay is free of any establishments, there is a small villa on the east end that belongs to Val and Kareem Rymer who own Myett's.

The tour I've read of includes a boat ride to Sopers Hole (West End). There is a Pusser's Pub and store along with other shops. There is also a marina and the ferry terminal for Jost Van Dyke. Does this include a little time in Sopers Hole followed by an island tour? Sounds nice, you get a nice coastal tour on the water and probably less time on the land portion, not sure. But I would guess this still covers the island highlights. Do they give you any details to help choose?

It sounds like the taxi tour for $20 per person is definitely the way to go. We'll be in Tortola on 4/25 on the Disney Fantasy (7:30 AM - 5:45 PM) . I believe one other ship is scheduled to be in Tortola, too.

The two principle island tour excursions Disney offers are:

Island Drive & Beach Break ($47)

On this adventure you will…

• Board an open-air safari bus in Road Town for an approximately 20-minute drive through Road Town before ascending Ridge Road for a scenic island drive of beautiful Tortola. Your tour takes you up Fort Hill and through the local villages of Long Trench and Fahie Hill.
  • Arrive at Sky World, where you will have approximately 35 minutes to shop for souvenirs and take in the stunning views of the British Virgin Islands from the observation deck.
  • Reboard your safari bus and continue your tour along the ridge for more breathtaking views before descending Ross Path to beautiful Cane Garden Bay.
  • Enjoy approximately one hour of free time to relax and swim in the crystal-clear water of this spectacular white-sand beach.
  • Reboard your bus and continue along the north shore and over Zion Hill for the approximately 25-minute scenic drive along Sir Francis Drake Highway and back to the pier.

and North Shore & Pussers Landing Tour ($37):

On this adventure you will…

• Board your open-air safari bus or air-conditioned motorcoach and travel through Road Town, the bustling capital of the British Virgin Islands-then ascend Fort Hill to scenic Belle Vue.
  • Travel along the Ridge Road through the tiny hamlets of Manchester, Long Trench and Fahie Hill, where you can take in the colorful murals depicting bygone life in the British Virgin Islands.
  • Enjoy several photo stops to capture scenic vistas of the local islands of Todmans, Meyers and Chalwell.
  • Stop at Mountain View at the entrance to the Sage Mountain National Park, and enjoy a complimentary beverage while soaking up the spectacular views of the surrounding islands.
  • Descend the Windy Hill Road to the north shore, and continue on through the quaint coastal fishing villages of Carrot Bay, Apple Bay and Cappoon's Bay.
  • Ascend Zion Hill to the western side of the island, where you will have approximately 30 minutes at Pusser’s Landing to browse the colorful boutiques and shop for souvenirs.
  • Reboard your transportation and return directly to the ship along the scenic coastal road to Road Town. Alternatively, you can leave the tour in central Road Town for further shopping and to explore on your own.

From what you've said (and my research), I think the typical tour that goes to Cane Garden Bay will be more photogenic, and I like the variety of restaurants/bars there. Plus, it looks like the local area will be great for walking (cemetery, rum distillery) and more photos.

I think if we do the Disney tour, we'll be stuck on their schedule (must leave CGB when they say), while if we do a taxi tour, we an just stay at CGB and get back on our own. AS you can see, we have plenty of time.

My thought is a morning tour and leave CGB sometime around or after lunch to have the afternoon for Road Town and an early return to the ship (we have a big day the next day in St. Thomas, too).

However, if the Disney description sounds like a better bang for the buck, we could make that one work. I'm just not sure a cruise ship excursion is necessary given the simplicity of travel on Tortola.

Future trips will likely see us going further afield. I just want to get a sense of the island, relax, and have a leisurely day this time.

Dirk

Edited by carolina_yankee

Going to Tortola on our Ncl jade cruise later this month. Our first time here. Wanted to do a combination water/island tour but it is completely booked thru Ncl. Want to see as much as we can. Your $25 island tour sounds reasonable enough but will it give us a true island sightseeing tour?

Going to Tortola on our Ncl jade cruise later this month. Our first time here. Wanted to do a combination water/island tour but it is completely booked thru Ncl. Want to see as much as we can. Your $25 island tour sounds reasonable enough but will it give us a true island sightseeing tour?

Yes - not like renting a Jeep and going on your own of course, and not much beach time.

It sounds like the taxi tour for $20 per person is definitely the way to go. We'll be in Tortola on 4/25 on the Disney Fantasy (7:30 AM - 5:45 PM) . I believe one other ship is scheduled to be in Tortola, too.

The two principle island tour excursions Disney offers are:

Island Drive & Beach Break ($47)

and North Shore & Pussers Landing Tour ($37):

From what you've said (and my research), I think the typical tour that goes to Cane Garden Bay will be more photogenic, and I like the variety of restaurants/bars there. Plus, it looks like the local area will be great for walking (cemetery, rum distillery) and more photos.

I think if we do the Disney tour, we'll be stuck on their schedule (must leave CGB when they say), while if we do a taxi tour, we an just stay at CGB and get back on our own. AS you can see, we have plenty of time.

My thought is a morning tour and leave CGB sometime around or after lunch to have the afternoon for Road Town and an early return to the ship (we have a big day the next day in St. Thomas, too).

However, if the Disney description sounds like a better bang for the buck, we could make that one work. I'm just not sure a cruise ship excursion is necessary given the simplicity of travel on Tortola.

Future trips will likely see us going further afield. I just want to get a sense of the island, relax, and have a leisurely day this time.

Dirk

We would also look at Long Bay (West End) or perhaps Marina Cay if not looking for an island tour (both discussed in detail in other threads). But for an island tour the tour from the drivers at the port with the beach stop sounds great, and if interested stay at CGB longer and gran a taxi back later.

Yes - not like renting a Jeep and going on your own of course, and not much beach time.

I should qualify that statement - We take land-based vacations on Tortola and rent a car, so we have not personally taken these tours but have just talked to folks who have. They cover much of the island and you will see the highlights and have great photo ops and the price is very reasonable. Renting a vehicle gives you the flexibility to create your own itinerary if you have time, and enjoy a beach off the beaten path if you want that.

Just taking a taxi to CGB or Brewers Bay will show you some of the island but not as much as the tour will.

The cruise line excursions are also an option, but for someone who doesn't want to pre-book with a group but just meet a driver when you arrive, these 2 - 3 hr tours are great options.

We will be on NCL Gem in 3 weeks with only a short stop in Tortola- 7am to 1pm ,

I assume Cane Garden Bay is a beach? So if we decide to do this Island Tour would we wear bathing suits and cover up?

We have been to Tortola a couple of times -did the Baths once and town once. So this sounds like a reasonable option to see Tortola for much less money than ships offerings.

Thank you!

We will be on NCL Gem in 3 weeks with only a short stop in Tortola- 7am to 1pm ,

I assume Cane Garden Bay is a beach? So if we decide to do this Island Tour would we wear bathing suits and cover up?

We have been to Tortola a couple of times -did the Baths once and town once. So this sounds like a reasonable option to see Tortola for much less money than ships offerings.

Thank you!

Yes, swimsuits and coverups for gals and trunks (no speedos PLEEZ!) and T and you are fine for a tour and beach stop doing. When we're going into town or riding a ferry my wife will wear clothes over her suit and I'll wear a collared shirt just to be respectful to the local folks. They are wonderful people and appreciate visitors being respectful. But yes you are fine!;)

Cane Garden Bay is a beach with several beach bars where you can grab a bite and a drink and an interesting rum distillery. Would suggest a tour that hi over you a couple hours there if available.

Yes, swimsuits and coverups for gals and trunks (no speedos PLEEZ!) and T and you are fine for a tour and beach stop doing. When we're going into town or riding a ferry my wife will wear clothes over her suit and I'll wear a collared shirt just to be respectful to the local folks. They are wonderful people and appreciate visitors being respectful. But yes you are fine!;)

Cane Garden Bay is a beach with several beach bars where you can grab a bite and a drink and an interesting rum distillery. Would suggest a tour that hi over you a couple hours there if available.

Thanks for the info...... this is probably what we will do. Just wish we would be in Tortola longer!

Thanks for the info...... this is probably what we will do. Just wish we would be in Tortola longer!

Actually a decent coverup for the gals and a T-shirt for the guys would be fine around the port area. On a Sunday or religious holiday we would recommend more. We Americans tend to dress more casually than the locals there and the reason of course is we're on vacation! And you're looking at a tour from the port and beach time so you want to be comfortable and don't need to worry about it. But it's respectful to think about the locals and good that you ask...many do not.

We took a land-based vacation to Tortola before cruising there because we have a friend who plays happy hours at Myett's in high season and we learned about it from him. Otherwise we - like many others - would return to an island after cruising there to see more of it. So maybe you will like what you see and want to return to spend some time there. Many (including us) fly into St Thomas and take the 50 minute ferry over to save an extra flight layover in San Juan. So it is easy to get to, and you can also split your time with St Thomas.

Just a thought - Enjoy you cruise! :)

Edited by blue_water

• 2 weeks later...
The ride was a little on the adventurous side, but we have been on worse. Tortola has narrow, steep roads. It is not the place to rent a car on your own.

Can you expand on "adventurous?" I want to know what to expect, as I am nervous about driving there.

We drive there when staying on the island, beautiful island to explore and the roads are in good shape. There are narrower sections and steep areas, but the primary roads are not that bad, especially along the west end. There are switchbacks and mirrors in some spots going over the hill and you just have to get accustomed to that.

Many people rent and drive when in port to get a chance to see the island. I would say being in the back of a safari taxi might be a bit scary because of the size of the truck, but we feel very safe in a Jeep.

"Adventurous" is a subjective term...I would say the road from Belmont to the West End is more a "scenic route" than adventurous, but you don't want to go there anyway...:rolleyes:

I am with you.

You know what switchbacks are, right? You mentioned you are nervous about driving there - are you considering renting a Jeep?

[EDIT] Disregard, I'm sure you're talking about taking a taxi.

I understand the roads on many of the islands can be scary to some and there's nothing wrong with that.

If you are interested in a nice beach without the "thrill ride", search this forum for my other posts on Long Bay (West End) and Marina Cay. Both are excellent options for a nice beach with a much flatter drive!

Edited by blue_water

You know what switchbacks are, right? You mentioned you are nervous about driving there - are you considering renting a Jeep?

[EDIT] Disregard, I'm sure you're talking about taking a taxi.

I understand the roads on many of the islands can be scary to some and there's nothing wrong with that.

If you are interested in a nice beach without the "thrill ride", search this forum for my other posts on Long Bay (West End) and Marina Cay. Both are excellent options for a nice beach with a much flatter drive!

I do know what they are and I am glad for them. What I hate are the narrow roads without railings. Do they have that stuff there?

Yes, I don't think I would want to drive nor would my husband. It will be taxi I think. Thank you!

• 5 weeks later...

I've been working with a local tour operator on Tortola about hiring him to take 3 of us on a private tour. He's been really slow responding to my emails, and finally answered my question as to price and tour length. I was super surprised to have him quote me $100 EACH for a 4 hour tour. He described it as touring the entire island, as well as 2 other smaller islands that are connected by bridges.

Since all my research has shown that just hiring a tour once we get to the dock would cost about $25 pp, I was wondering if anybody could offer any insight as to why this tour might be so expensive. I'm reluctant to commit to him anyways, since he takes so long to respond to emails, but if the tour is actually worth the price, I might consider, knowing that if he fails to show up, we could still just pick up a tour at the dock.

Thanks!