How to handle personal belongings for days on the land?

bbustin

Just curious what do you take with you when you leave the boat and where do you keep it. We likely will not be doing excursions, but would rather explore on our own and I don't know what to do with my cellphone and money if we decide to go to the beach and go in the water. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are very very very few beaches with lockers.

Take ashore as little of value as possible, and that's particularly important if you go swimming. Normally no need to take ashore your passports or a big stash of cash

Credit cards & cruise cards seem to survive the water, and more than once I've subjected USD to a long wash-cycle at 90 degrees :rolleyes: without ending up with mushy pulp. But if you want to take better care of such things there are waterproof pouches on the market.

If anyone steals stuff like drinks, towels, cheap sunglasses, it's not the end of the world.

The problem is cameras, phones, I-Pads and such. From experience they don't even like a few drops of rain.

If you have an expensive camera, don't take it ashore if you're going swimming. Take a cheap camera for such occasions, or to kill two birds with one stone buy an underwater camera.

Download photos before taking your camera ashore, the loss of irreplaceable photos is often more distressing than the loss of a camera.

Ships' internet is expensive but in ports there are wifi hotspots, bars/cafes with free internet, and cheaper phone signals - so its tempting to take devices ashore.

Best to avoid that temptation if you're planning to go swimming.

Swimming "near" your stuff on the beach doesn't work. A thief running along the beach is quicker than even Usain Bolt wading through water

You take ship's pool towels ashore - which means you can recognise others from your ship, so you can have more confidence asking them to look after your stuff while you're in the water (and of course offering to reciprocate). Whether you are prepared to ask them to look after valuable stuff like phones is up to you.

Just MHO as always

JB :)

Credit cards, your ship's key, DL and yes, even cash, can get wet! Water doesn't hurt them. Put them in a velcro pocket in the man's swim trunks.....

Leave your phone on the ship, if you're going to the beach. And, if you KNOW you're going to the beach, only bring what you REALLY need....the the "valuable" stuff on the ship.

Just a note about getting "wallet stuff" wet...I have taken cash, driver's license, and credit cards in a zipper pouch in the water many times. Water doesn't hurt them, but you will want to rinse your stuff in fresh water when you get out. While the water doesn't hurt credit cards, sometimes the salt will keep the cards from reading properly (ran into this at a grocery store after scuba diving). Just a quick rinse will prevent this (I just dunked my whole little nylon zipper pouch wallet with my few cards in a rinse bucket without even taking the cards out - seemed to prevent the problem).

I ordered and use a KYSS bag. Google them.

It has a lock and chain built into the bag. I wrap chain around chair arms, etc. Can also lock zipper without attaching to something. I got mine in medium (royal?) blue so hubby doesn't look silly carrying it.

Mine is the compact size.

There are various waist packs and other waterproof holders that one can use to house their money, credit cards, etc. while in the water. As to a phone, there are some so-called waterproof bags that can hold a phone...but why do you even need a phone. We have been traveling, around the world, for over forty years...and its only in the past few years that we even had a phone that would work in most places. But when we leave the ship, and know we are going to the beach, we leave phone, cameras, and most other valuables locked securely in our cabin. We take our ID, a major credit card, and some cash...which all stay dry in our waterproof fanny pack (hate to use this term when Brits are around).

Hank

Also, you can make your own waterproof pouch. After one of my "waterproof" pouches leaked, I just travel with a few sandwich baggies. Throw your money or whatever in there and then put it in your pouch and you are golden.

As already mentioned, be a minimalist. Although some disembark with passports, I would only do so in countries in which a US ID would not effectively get you the same thing. We usually disembark with our IDs (two adults), minimal cash for a souvenir and activity, and a single credit card without foreign transaction fees (visa or mastercard usually accepted more easily.) You can even carry less cash of the shops you will be hitting are close to the ship and you could possibly go get cash and come off.

In terms of cell phones and other gadgets, I usually bring my kindle paperwhite and not my kindle fire OR instead pick a book just to read onshore. This is what I am doing next week. My phone never leaves the room onboard.

The big challenge for me is that I want to bring my canon t3i. So luckily my parents are coming so one of the 4 adults can stay onshore at a time and watch the gear. It can be annoying, and a disposable camera can likely bring you the same joy as a more expensive one..

The main reason I posted was to suggest bringing baggies. Also, it might be helpful to buy a travelers pouch that is less easily pilfered - I prefer a cross chest one.

High tech scammers are everywhere nowadays. My friend and I bought RFDI proof small backpacks and wallets for our trips so our C.C and bank cards cant get scanned. All someone has to do is walk passed you and they have all your information without you knowing it. There are other types of security items with this protection you can get that will stop anyone from hacking you. I don't know if I am allowed to post there site on here but you can look up security wallets on the net and they will come up. Sale items are great. And as said, take as little as possible.

High tech scammers are everywhere nowadays. My friend and I bought RFDI proof small backpacks and wallets for our trips so our C.C and bank cards cant get scanned. All someone has to do is walk passed you and they have all your information without you knowing it. There are other types of security items with this protection you can get that will stop anyone from hacking you. I don't know if I am allowed to post there site on here but you can look up security wallets on the net and they will come up. Sale items are great. And as said, take as little as possible.

Good idea! Will look it up.

Good idea! Will look it up.

Thanks. I haven't cruised in awhile because of air fair and I hate to fly too the port city. So I do land trips by train. But I still use this wallet and back pack. I feel so safe with them. They are worth every penny too me for security. Have fun on your cruise. I do miss cruising very much.

Just a note about getting "wallet stuff" wet...I have taken cash, driver's license, and credit cards in a zipper pouch in the water many times. Water doesn't hurt them, but you will want to rinse your stuff in fresh water when you get out. While the water doesn't hurt credit cards, sometimes the salt will keep the cards from reading properly (ran into this at a grocery store after scuba diving). Just a quick rinse will prevent this (I just dunked my whole little nylon zipper pouch wallet with my few cards in a rinse bucket without even taking the cards out - seemed to prevent the problem).

Ziploc baggies or similar. JoAnn Fabric, various hobby & artsy crafty stores are all good sources for a supply of small closable bags useful for keeping stuff dry when swimming, keeping small items organized in suitcases etc. cheap, lightweight, disposable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My friend and I bought RFDI proof small backpacks and wallets for our trips so our C.C and bank cards cant get scanned. All someone has to do is walk passed you and they have all your information without you knowing it.

Can you point to a single verified report of this ever actually happening.

It is just the companies who make these things preying on the fear of something that doesn't exist.

Can you point to a single verified report of this ever actually happening.It is just the companies who make these things preying on the fear of something that doesn't exist.

I did a internet search for credit card skimming and this article came up for a smart phone app.

Most of the articles where about atm skimmers and the like, but this one was also there.

CBC News showed Woodland just how easy it is to steal the information — even from a card inside a wallet or inside someone’s pants. The whole process only took about one second, not 30.

It was much more detailed of what the alert was about in the whole article.

So no, it's not just not the co I bought my items from just wanted my money in my opinion. I feel much more safe using their products on my trips.

...Most of the articles where about atm skimmers and the like, but this one was also there...

Link(s)?

You seem to be talking about what is possible, what might happen. The question above (which I also wondered about) is whether anything like that has ever actually happened to the random tourist on a beach in Aruba or wherever?

Link(s)?You seem to be talking about what is possible, what might happen. The question above (which I also wondered about) is whether anything like that has ever actually happened to the random tourist on a beach in Aruba or wherever?

I have no idea if this has ever happened to a tourist in Aruba , do you ??. All I know is I would feel saver having the protective wallet in my purse.

...The question above (which I also wondered about) is whether anything like that has ever actually happened to the random tourist on a beach in Aruba or wherever?

I don't usually "quote" myself, but I went and did some searches my self. Most of the initial hysteria about this Danger seems to have been 2006 or so, 9-10 years ago. So, ample time for a lot of bad stuff to have happened, and also ample time for countermeasures to have been developed by the card issuers. I find it very hard to asses the true level of risk.

I did go into my wallet and into my stash of credit cards which are not in my wallet. None of the cards I carry are RFID enabled. Neither of my debit cards (mid-size regional banks) are RFID. Two of my stashed cards are RFID, both those are near their expiration. I wonder if banks are simply avoiding this technology as a precaution...

I do not deny that there are bad people out there. Yesterday I cancelled my Bank of America (Celebrity Cruises co-branded) credit card because of $2000 in fraudulent charges over the previous 2 days. That card is not RFID so they got the necessary numbers some other way. Stuff happens. I'll get a new card from them in a few days and continue on.

I don't usually "quote" myself, but I went and did some searches my self. Most of the initial hysteria about this Danger seems to have been 2006 or so, 9-10 years ago. So, ample time for a lot of bad stuff to have happened, and also ample time for countermeasures to have been developed by the card issuers. I find it very hard to asses the true level of risk.I did go into my wallet and into my stash of credit cards which are not in my wallet. None of the cards I carry are RFID enabled. Neither of my debit cards (mid-size regional banks) are RFID. Two of my stashed cards are RFID, both those are near their expiration. I wonder if banks are simply avoiding this technology as a precaution...

I do not deny that there are bad people out there. Yesterday I cancelled my Bank of America (Celebrity Cruises co-branded) credit card because of $2000 in fraudulent charges over the previous 2 days. That card is not RFID so they got the necessary numbers some other way. Stuff happens. I'll get a new card from them in a few days and continue on.

I posted my above reply before this one was posted. Sorry about that.

Thank you for doing a more detailed research than I did. I'm sorry to hear about your fraudulent charges on your card. I hope everything gets worked out for you. I hope everyone has a save and happy upcoming cruises.

I use a Proporta BeachBuoy. It is a waterproof neck wallet. I have a really large one that holds my phone and has space left over -I usually carry my phone, a few credit cards, cash, and sometimes a key. I love that I can use my phone right through the bag-so I can take photos etc. without opening the wallet. The problem arises when the entire family has valuable items-in that case someone would probably have to sit with the stuff.

Not in Aruba but happened to us twice, once in Vegas and once in New Orleans, both within the last 2 years. Now I carry a Lug bag/wallet when we travel. The new ones block the scanners.

Can you point to a single verified report of this ever actually happening.

It is just the companies who make these things preying on the fear of something that doesn't exist.

I'm a first-timer too, but I purchased something you can wear around your neck that is completely waterproof that you can store your things in. It's big enough to hold passports, money, cellphones, and you can go in the water with it. Got mine on Amazon. Search cruise supplies and your options will show up.

A lot of people say to bring a day pack but that is not always practical, especially if you will be in the water. I don't want to carry it around either. So I'm just going to wear the above if I'm going to be in water and bring a purse if I'm not, and hope that's enough.