When is the best time to book a cruise???

Sue1260

I have cruised a few times before and I am currently booked on Breakaway in May but after ready so many tips here on CC I wonder is it best to book early or late if you want best price? Especially if your not picky about getting a certain cabin we usually just like a balcony but if price was to hard to pass up and only thing that was avaliable was an inside or outside I would consider it. Any advice would be helpful also is best to use travel agent or book thru website. We always went thru website because my thinking was travel agent marks up a cruise to make their commission.

This question is debated and discussed on Cruise Critic almost every day. There are dozens of threads with this exact question in them.

First, booking early usually gets any price reductions up to final payment. Price reductions after final payment is usually on a cruise line by cruise basis, and a case by case basis. And what you get (OBC vs upgrades vs cash) is also quite variable.

Booking after final payment usually can save you money, but waiting until the last minute can also cause last minute airfares to eat big bites out of your cruise fare savings.

Many people can't wait until the last minute to try and get a great deal, as vacation/work scheduling and other complexities of life can limit when you can commit to a cruise, and purchase.

So, the answer really varies by each person's situation.

In the US, most TAs don't mark up the price of a cruise. The commission is paid by the cruise line. I've never had a TA charge me more than what I would pay booking directly with the cruise line.

Do you need flights? If so, sometimes getting a lower fare close to sailing is outweighed by high last minute airfare.

Roz

So it seems like if you book on the website cruise line gets to keep the commission they would have to pay a TA. And every time there's a reduction do you have to call TA to recieve price adjustment. Also what kind of perks do the TA offer?

We use a TA. They don't charge more than the cruiseline. We get OBC, and then he'll send chocolate covered strawberries or cupcakes or wine. He now knows what kind of cabin we prefer and will immediately check for the best ones (location wise) available. We book early because of work schedule. Once we pick a date and itinerary, we call our T.A. We booked a cruise while we were on a cruise and then transferred it to the TA when we got home. He got credit for the cruise from the cruiseline and we got an OBC from the TA.

So it seems like if you book on the website cruise line gets to keep the commission they would have to pay a TA. And every time there's a reduction do you have to call TA to recieve price adjustment. Also what kind of perks do the TA offer?

If you book on the cruise line's website, yes, they keep the commission.

Yes, you need to monitor the prices, and seek any reductions.

Any perks offered by TAs will depend on the TA. Commonly mentioned are OBCs. Sometimes tips are paid. Or other options.

• 2 weeks later...

Very difficult question. In general I recommend booking the cruise as soon as they pop up or at least 3 months after they pop up. Many times they are at near the cheapest price. I use a website called **********.com which costs $5. Each $1 is a credit and you put in your cruise info and from now till the time it ships you will get a instant e-mail if the price changes. If it changes, contact your travel agent for a price match. I also set the cruise as a favorite on my computer to check twice a week. Even though the price may stay the same they may offer double onboard credit, a free excursion, or free special dining. With Princess, I typically get at least two improvements be it a price drop, extra onboard credit, or a perk. This is why a TA is a must. Just DON'T expect them to contact you when there is a sale. They have never done it automatically for me but I know there are golden TA's out there.

We have also booked last minute cruises for major deals and promos. Read the fine print on last minute cruises. First check the airfare if you are flying. You have to book flights as soon as possible to save (you do with Southwest) or you risk 2 to 3x the price of the airfare which wipes out any savings or worse. Is it so last minute your excursions are sold out? If you only have one favorite excursion it may not be worth the risk. You won't know till you pay and/or so many weeks before the cruise if excursions are available. Did you check the T's and the I's, is it really during the spring break or when your other party members CAN take off. Check the terms of the sale. I've booked from ************ last minute and it is easy to think you are getting all or most of the deals and end up with very little. The onboard credit may only apply for one person or the typical first two adults. How many special dining vouchers? On the excursions is it free through an outside party and are you confortable risking it? They are on a different time than you on many ports. For first time cruisers you have to pay ALOT up front. A last minute cruise will bump up that credit card balance quick. If you book early it is still a big chunk of money but it is spaced out in quarters or fifths over many months.