First time as a single traveller - advice needed

Kittycat

I have cruised many times before with my husband but unfortunately he has now passed away and I feel I can't face this first Christmas at home. I'm looking at the oriano cruise to the canaries and much as I think I'm quite independent, I don't want to be alone 24/7. I'm in my mid 60s and pretty active and have enjoyed cruising very much and this cruise will be going mostly to new places which I think is good. I enjoy ballroom dancing - do they have dance hosts? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I have cruised many times before with my husband but unfortunately he has now passed away and I feel I can't face this first Christmas at home. I'm looking at the oriano cruise to the canaries and much as I think I'm quite independent, I don't want to be alone 24/7. I'm in my mid 60s and pretty active and have enjoyed cruising very much and this cruise will be going mostly to new places which I think is good. I enjoy ballroom dancing - do they have dance hosts? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

So sorry to hear of your loss. It is a big step to go on your own but if you are going to do it cruising is the best option for single people. There are lots geared up for solos. I spoke to a lady on Oriana at Easter and she had mentioned how friendly everyone had been and there were lots of events that she attended with other people in the same situation.

I have sailed alone and also with a multitude of different combinations of relatives or friends and the cruises tend to evolve very differently.

Travelling alone I should recommend dining on a fixed sitting 1st or 2nd and request the biggest table available. They tend to have a table full of solo cruisers who can meet up every night and talk about what they have done. Sometimes they group up in smaller groups for specific events, shows etc. and quite often the others want go to a show or whatever and are glad of a companion. Same applies to excursions.

The cruise line also has a daily singles or solo travellers coffee morning. In the past I have attended these and sometimes a break off group goes ashore or something like that. So again an element of mingling occurs.

I am quite happy to be on my own some of the time and marking your Horizon Newsletter with a highlighter will help not missing the things you want to do. Quizzes and some other activities are team based and you can generally join a team where they are seeking to enlarge.

I was surprised on one cruise when I took my young daughter how quickly children make friends. more crucially how they adapt to new technology. Gone are the days of meet you at a time and place and if one of us is late you never see each other until the evening meal when you know where they are. No; her friend used to phone the cabin and leave voice mail message by dialling deck number and cabin number. There are also service phones around the ship.

There are additional ideas on the single cruisers threads on here as well.

Bon voyage John

So sorry to hear about your husband, you must have been through a very difficult time and I can fully understand your feelings about Christmas

Although I have never cruised as a single person, I know a few who have, and have never looked back. It was, for them, a really safe and friendly environment, and they have all thoroughly enjoyed themselves, with the option to have the company of others if they wanted to, but to have some quiet time on their own too.

I believe all the ships have dance hosts although I couldn't confirm that

I do hope you decide to go ahead with your plan, and have a wonderful time.

I am in a similar position to you and have now been on a few cruises on my own. Although each time it feels very daunting, I have enjoyed them all as people are very friendly. I try to go to the solo get togethers, especially the first one. I too like to do set dining and sit on a large table. I am about to go on Britannia very soon and am going to try freedom dining but not sure about it. I too like ballroom dancing but as far as I am aware there are only Cunard, Fred Olson and Saga who have dance hosts. I think P &O have dance lessons with a resident dance couple.

I hope it all goes well for you.

Thank you, I feel almost ready to book. I will ask for a large table at dinner and attend the solo get togethersome but I must admit to being a little daunted. P&o tell me that there over 100 singles booked so I should be OK shouldn't I. Hopefully I'll get it booked in the next day or two.

Forgot to mention book an inside cabin if you think you might be tempted to withdraw and sit alone on your balcony a lot. Book a balcony if you like to occasionally have an hour or two on it. Singles cabins are quite good but quite rare and not that much cheaper than a standard with the supplement.

The cheaper your cabin the more of the budget is available for elsewhere on the cruise and future cruises.

Regards John

Thanks John, I'm looking at an inside double for single occupancy. So I don't expect I'd be in the cabin too much and I've always found that you can do as little or as much as you like on a cruise. P&o say they have 119 singles booked and will only take 120 so I need to decide soon.

Well, I've taken the plunge and booked. It's a big step but I think it will be OK. I've requested a large table in the dining room so should be OK there but its been a while since we last cruised P&O (usually go Princess) and will be interested to see how the 2 compare. Not too concerned about the dancing as I know there'll be plenty of other things to do we've only ever visited Madeira, so all new ports of call to explore. thanks for all the advice you gave me, it really helped make my decision easier.

Just seen this thread, I am pleased you have booked a cruise. A dear friend of mine lost her husband a few years ago and like you she was reluctant to go on her own. However, she did and at the last count she has completed 5 cruises as a single and loved every one. The last one was with Fred Olson and included the Caribbean and the Amazon. The advice already given is true in that you should attend the get together which are in the first few days. I am sure you will have a fantastic time.

Well, I've taken the plunge and booked. It's a big step but I think it will be OK. I've requested a large table in the dining room so should be OK there but its been a while since we last cruised P&O (usually go Princess) and will be interested to see how the 2 compare. Not too concerned about the dancing as I know there'll be plenty of other things to do we've only ever visited Madeira, so all new ports of call to explore. thanks for all the advice you gave me, it really helped make my decision easier.

Very pleased to hear that you have booked. I hope you have a lovely time and are encouraged to do it again. I am on Britannia travelling solo on Friday. I am always apprehensive but I know I will have a wonderful time.

Good luck. ..Sandra.

I've cruised many times by myself and not only are cruises great vacations; but they are perfect for the solo traveler. I know many solos tend to be anxious prior to sailing, but once you get on board and get into the swings of things you will be fine. My advise is to avoid thinking about the going alone part. That's a giving and nothing you can do about it. My recommendation is learn everything you can about the ship and study the deck plans. Get all the information you can about the ports and start planning. Make a lot of notes about what and where you want to go and see and work out a daily planner. If there is a roll call on your voyage here in Cruisecritic get involved with the discussion board. This is a great way to meet people prior to your cruises. Get out of your cabin and participation in group activities which is a great way to meet new people. You will have some alone time...which is perfectly fine. Bring things to keep you entertained like good book, magazines, crossword puzzles, etc. Have a great time and enjoy. Jim

Hello Kittycat - I, too, have only just seen this post. I'm a widow who has cruised alone and I am also a keen ballroom dancer. Everything seems daunting early on after a bereavement - but I actually found that cruise ships are easier than 'normal life', so I'm sure you'll be glad of your decision!

The large table is also a good decision in my opinion.

The only extra tip I can offer is to go to the dance classes. They are for beginners - but it demonstrates that you dance and are friendly. There are not many singles at the classes (and few of those are men): but maybe even learn the leader's steps, if that suits you?

They seem to have done away with the role of 'Gentleman Host' (a pity, in my book!), but you will probably find that several of the professional dancers will be happy to dance with you (although remember, they are mostly stage dancers, so may dance a 'routine' rather than a conventional lead?).

I hope you really have a great holiday!