Is Ventura like Marmite?

blitznbobs

Just back from 28nts on Ventura (2nd time on her)

Couldn't believe how many old frail people were on the cruise. It used to be that the fly cruise attracted a younger set, but not any more it seems.

It was disappointing to see so few people around the ship after midnight.

Just back from 28nts on Ventura (2nd time on her)

Couldn't believe how many old frail people were on the cruise. It used to be that the fly cruise attracted a younger set, but not any more it seems.

It was disappointing to see so few people around the ship after midnight.

That will have been because it was 28 nights. Generally only the retired could take such a long cruise. Not many people can take that much time off work all at once. If you want to avoid this situation best stick to shorter cruises.

That will have been because it was 28 nights. Generally only the retired could take such a long cruise. Not many people can take that much time off work all at once. If you want to avoid this situation best stick to shorter cruises.

But this was on Ventura, which has been spending all autumn & winter doing 14 night Caribbean fly-cruises (15 nights with the return flight). I wonder if Caspall did two such cruises back-to-back?

But this was on Ventura, which has been spending all autumn & winter doing 14 night Caribbean fly-cruises (15 nights with the return flight). I wonder if Caspall did two such cruises back-to-back?

I believe it was sold as a 28 day Xmas and New Year cruise. May be wrong though!

Love Marmite- hate Ventura - but only because as a solo cruiser I felt she was too big - I got lost in the crowd and found it hard to meet people. Also on sea days I just want to lie in the sun - for me there is not enough deck space and it is hard to find sunbeds. But I can totally understand those that like her - horses for courses.

"I believe it was sold as a 28 day Xmas and New Year cruise. May be wrong though!"

It was indeed intended as a 28nt cruise but as time drew nearer they sold it as 2x14nts. Around 1000 people left Ventura at New orleans on the 31st and less arrived on -one flight only arriving at 9pm thanks to Thomas Cook Breakdowns.

Caryl

Edited by CASPALL

• 4 years later...
"Seems to be a love it or hate it with little in between... is this an age split or just an 'outlook' split.."

A bit of both, really.

Pre Ventura, P&O was a very conservative line with a high level of formality. Middle Endland at sea, popular with quiet living individuals with middle class credentials or pretensions. They used to have onboard get-togethers for Freemasons, Rotarians and masonic widows, which will give you a good idea of the typical customer. Then along came Ventura. Out went much of the formality, dress codes were simplified with the elimination of semi-formal nights, and in came a more cosmopolitan type of cruiser who may not previously have considered sailing with P&O. Middle England at sea no longer! This did not go down well with some of P&Os traditional customers, who tend to use terms like "dumbing down" and to make references to Ocean Village when discussing her. For others, however, Ventura represents P&O finally entering the 21st century and realising that many people just see a cruise as a holiday at sea, no more no less, and do not really want the high level of formality that used to go with it.

It is, therefore, more a matter of outloook than age, although it is true that Ventura tends to attract a considerably younger age group than say Oriana or Aurora. I am a retired professional man in my 60s and she is my favourite P&O ship.

With the current on going discussions revolving around current change, this very well written post has made me smile. Firstly because it encapsulates the fact that change is a continuous process and is necessity for corporate survival but also because of the reference to the 'type of people' Freemasons, their widows and Rotarians must be. It's not only corporations that change, with change to social climate, culture, demographics, economics etc. societies such as these change too. Younger people of both sexes join such organisations and influence the culture. I have observed that on the last 3 or 4 cruises I have been on nobody has bothered to organise a Masonic meet, this isn't because they aren't on board, or don't want to raise money for the captains charity, or meet each other - it's because they don't want to spend a day or two of their holiday organising events, but of course things may change and a more simplified Masonic meet may emerge in the future.

"Seems to be a love it or hate it with little in between... is this an age split or just an 'outlook' split.."

A bit of both, really.

Pre Ventura, P&O was a very conservative line with a high level of formality. Middle Endland at sea, popular with quiet living individuals with middle class credentials or pretensions. They used to have onboard get-togethers for Freemasons, Rotarians and masonic widows, which will give you a good idea of the typical customer. Then along came Ventura. Out went much of the formality, dress codes were simplified with the elimination of semi-formal nights, and in came a more cosmopolitan type of cruiser who may not previously have considered sailing with P&O. Middle England at sea no longer! This did not go down well with some of P&Os traditional customers, who tend to use terms like "dumbing down" and to make references to Ocean Village when discussing her. For others, however, Ventura represents P&O finally entering the 21st century and realising that many people just see a cruise as a holiday at sea, no more no less, and do not really want the high level of formality that used to go with it.

It is, therefore, more a matter of outloook than age, although it is true that Ventura tends to attract a considerably younger age group than say Oriana or Aurora. I am a retired professional man in my 60s and she is my favourite P&O ship.

Wow what an absolutely fantastic lost. Couldn't have put it better myself. We are an modern couple with a young outlook in their early 50s and have been cruising for a few years now. We love a good time and we certainly got that on Ventura.

There were all ages groups, from young families to not so many elderly but even most of them liked a good time as well.

Go with an open mind (sounds if you have that already). You will have the best time. Xx

Just been on her for the second time, absolutely love the ship and the staff are absolutely awesome.

I agree, fab staff. We just love the ship. We don't have much choice as we have to stick to school holidays but luckily enough Ventura has been available then as it is a family ship.

All this talk of Butlins, we were looking to take our 8 year old grandson on holiday next August. "Butlins" we thought . After finding out they wanted £1700 for a weeks half board in Bognor Regis, I have since booked a week on Ventura for not too much more money. This will be our first P and O cruise.

All this talk of Butlins, we were looking to take our 8 year old grandson on holiday next August. "Butlins" we thought . After finding out they wanted £1700 for a weeks half board in Bognor Regis, I have since booked a week on Ventura for not too much more money. This will be our first P and O cruise.

Crikey I knew it wasn't cheap but didn't think for one minute it was in that price bracket.

Butlins was my first holiday without my parents, just my friend and I and even I noticed how basic the chalets were. I have heard that things are a lot more 'upmarket' now, lol;)

Seems to be a love it or hate it with little in between... is this an age split or just an 'outlook' split..

I've booked to go on Ventura in June next year and was wondering if I was the right kind of person to enjoy it...

(I'm in my 30s, with a young child, a medic and a member of the judicary and like dressing up but also like to 'throw myself into' things ... in a work hard, play hard kind of way... and I have been known to have the odd drink occasionally)

Bx

Give us a clue what type of ppl like Ventura...

Nothing like Marmite, not at all a matter of hate and love. Unless, as some of the people on this thread apparently do, you consider "found it less than ideal" and "hate" to be synonyms.

Butlins is expensive now and I've been put off by the prices. I wouldn't say it's even for the lower end of the market anymore (Haven and Park Resorts are the lower end)
People just moan about the type of people on cruises for moanings sake. I've been on a wide variety of holidays over the past ten years within my rising budget and believe me if you thought riffraff was on the ship you really haven't been anywhere else!!
I hardly think that cruising attracts people on a lower budget either. I certainly wouldn't have been able to afford one ten years ago and my last cruise topped £6000!

We cruised on Ventura for the first time in June, having sailed on the Grand Princess twice previously. Ventura is, of course, in the same class as the Grand and is, with a few minor differences, identical. Whilst we had a fine time on Ventura, we didn't feel that she was quite as 'special' as the Grand. Don't get me wrong, we are very lucky to be able to afford to cruise and a 14-day cruise is a damn fine way to spend your holidays. However, I don't think we'd cruise on Ventura again - indeed we'll probably go back to Princess for our next cruise. Or perhaps try Celebrity.

[quote name='daiB']Well I am a Rotarian and I like Ventura and no doubt I will organise a meeting next time we are on board ...April.

Ventura is fantastic and for 30 year olds 40 year olds and also 50 and 60 and 70.

We also like Aurora, Oriana, Arcadia, Oceana, Azura will join the list next September.

BTW all the above are like holiday camps as are QV, QM2, QE and all other cruise ships. They all have dancing, organised meals, slot machines, organised games, swimming pools, table tennis, evening entertainment and of course BINGO

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai[/QUOTE]
Hi. I cannot for the life of me understand why people will go on a relaxing cruise and then spend their time on machines that wouldn't be out of place in a gerbils cage. As for pounding the decks in their lycra, they only do it if they are assured of a good audience. If they don't want to put on weight don't eat so much. And then we come to housewives mathematics ,nuff said I think

[quote name='bluemug']Hi. I cannot for the life of me understand why people will go on a relaxing cruise and then spend their time on machines that wouldn't be out of place in a gerbils cage. As for pounding the decks in their lycra, they only do it if they are assured of a good audience. If they don't want to put on weight don't eat so much. And then we come to housewives mathematics ,nuff said I think[/QUOTE]

On a sea day, if it is too windy to walk the promenade I like to have a good walk on the 'machine' It is not a case of putting on weight, I like to do a little exercise each day.:mad:

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='blitznbobs']Seems to be a love it or hate it with little in between... is this an age split or just an 'outlook' split..

I've booked to go on Ventura in June next year and was wondering if I was the right kind of person to enjoy it...

(I'm in my 30s, with a young child, a medic and a member of the judicary and like dressing up but also like to 'throw myself into' things ... in a work hard, play hard kind of way... and I have been known to have the odd drink occasionally)

Bx

Give us a clue what type of ppl like Ventura...[/QUOTE]

It really is fascinating to see how divided people are on this issue. I'm recently back from my first P & O cruise on Ventura. It wasn't awful, but I can't rate the experience as higher than average. Everything, to me, just seemed so bland and basic in comparison to other cruise lines I've been on (e.g. Celebrity). I'm not saying I'll never cruise with P & O again but, based on this experience, they will never be my first choice.

[quote name='Bourdieu']It really is fascinating to see how divided people are on this issue. I'm recently back from my first P & O cruise on Ventura. It wasn't awful, but I can't rate the experience as higher than average. Everything, to me, just seemed so bland and basic in comparison to other cruise lines I've been on (e.g. Celebrity). I'm not saying I'll never cruise with P & O again but, based on this experience, they will never be my first choice.[/QUOTE]

I would mostly agree with this. We've also recently returned from sailing this ship. We had a lovely holiday over all but the ship didn't bowl me over. I think I got more used to it as time went on. It's definitely a step down from other ships/companies we have sailed with before but I would sail on this ship again. I think I did prefer the cabins to other ships. The open wardrobe was prefect for my daughters cot so we were able to enjoy the cabin and balcony while she was asleep without disturbing her.

[quote name='Bourdieu']It really is fascinating to see how divided people are on this issue. I'm recently back from my first P & O cruise on Ventura. It wasn't awful, but I can't rate the experience as higher than average. Everything, to me, just seemed so bland and basic in comparison to other cruise lines I've been on (e.g. Celebrity). I'm not saying I'll never cruise with P & O again but, based on this experience, they will never be my first choice.[/QUOTE]

I think this 'blandness' as you call it is more like understated, not in your face as the American ships are. This is quite deliberate. If you like the flash then fine go with RCI etc. If you like the understated then go on P&O. But this is not confined to Ventura. The rest of the fleet are designed this way.