Azura tipping

disqueen

We are on the azura in November flying from uk to Barbados.I know we have a card on board instead of money but for room service what currency do you use to tip dollar or sterling

Thank you

I give US dollars. As the ship is in the Caribbean until late Spring, it'll be the most useful currency for them.

We are first timers and were wondering should we go with the deduction P and O make per day for tips and leave it at that or opt out of it and tip as and when.

Hopefully this will not turn into a tipping thread.

It is entirely up to you. Everyone is different as to what they think is best.

Some leave auto on and do not tip extra

Some leave auto on and do tip extra

Some remove auto and tip at the end..room steward and waiters

Some remove auto and do not tip anyone.

You can go with whichever option you wish.

If you leave auto on that goes to your room steward and MDR waiters. I think if you are freedom dining you cannot remove it, as you have different waiters each night. As I said that is an I think

In the bars the extra is incorporated into the price you pay.

Personally I do not discuss once on board what I am doing.

We are first timers and were wondering should we go with the deduction P and O make per day for tips and leave it at that or opt out of it and tip as and when.

As first time cruisers I would not worry too much about this, not something to stress too much about.

We just leave the auto-tipping on as we can't be bothered to take it off and it saves us bothering about tips. However, if we had cause we would remove it at reception but thankfully we have never had cause to. Also if we get exceptional service we would tip a bit more at the end of the cruise, but not as a matter of course.

Whatever you do, have a great cruise

Edited by bee-ess

But the currency on board - including the crew shop & bar - is UK £p so it's certainly not worth changing money just to leave tips.

I'm confused - why would I take sterling to the Caribbean? I never use currency on board; neither do the crew. They have accounts which are totted up each month (or by cruise segment) and settled automatically by the cruise line's Accounts function on board. The only time they need hard currency is when they get off the ship; in the Caribbean that would be US dollars.

I'm confused - why would I take sterling to the Caribbean? I never use currency on board; neither do the crew. They have accounts which are totted up each month (or by cruise segment) and settled automatically by the cruise line's Accounts function on board. The only time they need hard currency is when they get off the ship; in the Caribbean that would be US dollars.

Fair enough...but the original poster asked whether to take USD or £sterling....

I am sure the crew can use both.

Hopefully this will not turn into a tipping thread.

It is entirely up to you. Everyone is different as to what they think is best.

Some leave auto on and do not tip extra

Some leave auto on and do tip extra

Some remove auto and tip at the end..room steward and waiters

Some remove auto and do not tip anyone.

You can go with whichever option you wish.

If you leave auto on that goes to your room steward and MDR waiters. I think if you are freedom dining you cannot remove it, as you have different waiters each night. As I said that is an I think

In the bars the extra is incorporated into the price you pay.

Personally I do not discuss once on board what I am doing.

I think you can remove the tips irrespective of where you dine, this is because a tip is a discretionary payment - if it was compulsory that would be taxable in one form or another I think [emoji102]

Edited by Florry

Well if you are tipping in cash, either in addition to of instead of the auto tips it does not matter which currency you use. The crew won't be in the Caribbean permanently and pounds will be just as welcome as dollars.

David

Well if you are tipping in cash, either in addition to of instead of the auto tips it does not matter which currency you use. The crew won't be in the Caribbean permanently and pounds will be just as welcome as dollars.

David

Good point David; however to me it is somewhat churlish to give sterling in December when the crew member may not be in the UK until, perhaps, 4 months later, if not much beyond that. Whether we like it or not (and believe me, I do not), for the time being, the US dollar continues to be a global currency in terms of hard cash. Furthermore, I always feel it preferable to slip a neatly folded dollar bill (or two) into someone's hand that a clammy pound coin.