Missing from Ventura

amajaa

Hi Fluffy - yes, it was all a bit of a panic getting dressed for dinner for us too as our case didn't arrive until 7 30pm with the gladrags in. This obviously detracted from the usual enjoyment of a relaxed getting ready for the Black Tie night.

We dressed up a bit for last night too to make up for it a bit and noticed that a lot of people did the same. Did you notice that?

We still enjoyed the cruise though, despite the disruption. Sorry you didn't.

PS We saw people just having disembarked as we were walking to the terminal gone 4pm which fitted in with the check in terminals not opening until about 4 30 ish. I thought communication was good though.

Hi Scriv, yes we did notice a lot of people made an effort on the last night and we too dressed up. We were travelling with our daughter 17 and mother-in-law 82, first time cruise for our daughter and we were so excited to take her along. My MIL found the 5 hours waiting around really tiring and she struggled, especially as we had another hour and a bit to wait once we were in the cruise terminal, but we did think P@O were good with the up-dates.

The things we didn't like were:

Cabin already turned down for the night when we arrived so daughter didn't experience coming back from a night out to find the cabin all cosy and ready for bed.

We wanted to book a future cruise and found out the details Sunday morning, went back just gone 7pm last night to be told he had shut down all the accounts so couldn't take a payment - he also wasn't going to be open this morning as he had his managers on board so had to meet with them. So we missed out on the extra credit and the disappointment of not getting the cruise booked.

Breakfast this morning was a shambles, I know it is usually busy but where we were sitting by the outside pool the tables weren't cleared of the dirty plates and the toilets were filthy and had run out of toilet paper. One sink was blocked and all the hand towels were piled up in the corner of the basin unit as the bin was over flowing.

I also didn't like the feeling of rushing everywhere, to dinner, to the theatre, to get off, to pick up the shuttle bus, and also the endless queuing. I couldn't believe the length of the queue last night, why did all the shuttles have to come back at the same time?

We didn't get to do the muster station as we were too late getting on board, it was a shame as for those who have not cruised before it is useful for them to know how to put on a life jacket - we did our own version once we were in our cabin!

We also missed the welcome on board folder in our room with the postcards in, I did ask my cabin steward if I could have a card and he said they were taken away for the short cruises but he did get me one. It didn't have a picture of Ventura on, just wording "this is the life".

I really don't usually moan, and hate hearing those that do, but on this occasion I was very disappointed as I wanted my daughter to love it as much as I do and I felt responsible for both her and MILs enjoyment.

On a positive note we all thoroughly enjoyed the Headliners show on the first night and Badness were also fantastic so 10 out of 10 for entertainment.

This hasn't put me off P@O, just these short breaks as they seem so busy and I have come back feeling exhausted (must me my age!).

Edited by FluffyFiFi

Yes, I thought so too but they did muster before some people had even boarded.

Oh dear and even after what had happened earlier that morning.:(

Do have to say our very first cruise was with Thomson and they did their muster on the 2nd day. Often wondered what would have happened if anything had happened on the 1st night.:eek:

Oh dear Fluffy, I can certainly understand your disappointment. We never sampled any problems like that but I do sympathise.

We also had no problems in breakfast this morning. Were you up in the Buffet? We ate in the Bay Tree MDR and it was all very calm and well organised.

We didn't go out on any of the shuttles yesterday, so experienced no queues at all, but we did see lots of you waiting to come back onboard. That was so frustrating too re not being able to make your booking and so missing out on your OBC offer. We went off for the Muster Drill at about 6 45 I think.

I agree thought that these 2 nighters are not at all restful as we are all trying to fit so much into every minute in normal circumstances, but this time was obviously so much more rushed and hectic.

I would drop a note to Customer Services in the circumstances you know. Maybe they may let you make your booking now and still get your OBC?

Edited by Scriv

Oh dear and even after what had happened earlier that morning.:(

Do have to say our very first cruise was with Thomson and they did their muster on the 2nd day. Often wondered what would have happened if anything had happened on the 1st night.:eek:

Muster by law is done before sailing since Concordia.

Fluffy, why not give P&O a ring this morning? I would. I would need to talk it all out with someone and I would think they would not want you to be left with you and your party having very negative feelings.

Re the dirty toilets, they were also quite mucky up near the Buffet yesterday morning whilst we were waiting to disembark. I guess the cleaners hadn't arrived - maybe waiting for us to get off, but I agree it seemed like the morning after the night before.

They had more than one muster drill. We were on about 5:30/6pm and I seem to recall ours was at 6:45. At the end of it we were told to exit at the top of the room as those who had boarded after 6:45 were waiting to enter to do their drill at the bottom.

I think P&O did a really good job, it must have been a logistical nightmare. Yes we felt the cruise was a little rushed, but this would always be the case with a 2 nighter..

We had to ask three times to order wine in freedom dining, but he then exceeded our expectations by providing it free of charge - so happy about that. Breakfast was a nightmare, ate it on a sun bed - think this was down to everyone trying to make the most of it and then others finishing their breakfast but staying at the table to chat instead of getting off the ship!

Did it put us off P&O? Nopes... We even booked a Fjords cruise while onboard. P&O did the best they could I feel.

Edited by GP&LK

Having just returned from the 2 night Zeebrugge cruise on Ventura following this incident, we feel that all onboard did their utmost to cope with the very difficult situation following the preceding cruise and did their very best to lessen the disruption to our own cruise and enjoyment as much as was possible in the circumstances. The crew were as usual amazing and so professional.

How they managed to turn around that ship in those few hours was amazing when you think of what needs to be done disembarking 3000 passengers and embarking the same. We were able to go straight to our cabin, but the luggage didn't arrive until much later ie after Muster Drill. I think Muster Drill happened about 7pm for those on board, but people were still arriving after that. Dining times and show times were obviously amended and relaxed a bit.

Yes, so professional and hard working but these tremendous attributes are so easily forgotten when it comes to their gratuities.

Fully agree with you GP&LK :) - And I booked another cruise on board as well.

It's funny you say that about the wine in Freedom Dining. We had drunk our free of charge wine and we asked to order another glass. The waiter crouched down by me and very tactfully told me that it was chargeable now though and was that alright. Awww... I of course realised that.

And yes, Solent Richard, I really hoped that few people would have taken them off on that cruise. The crew looked very tired - I think they had had a very hard time.

Edited by Scriv

Oh dear Fluffy, I can certainly understand your disappointment. We never sampled any problems like that but I do sympathise.

We also had no problems in breakfast this morning. Were you up in the Buffet? We ate in the Bay Tree MDR and it was all very calm and well organised.

We didn't go out on any of the shuttles yesterday, so experienced no queues at all, but we did see lots of you waiting to come back onboard. That was so frustrating too re not being able to make your booking and so missing out on your OBC offer. We went off for the Muster Drill at about 6 45 I think.

I agree thought that these 2 nighters are not at all restful as we are all trying to fit so much into every minute in normal circumstances, but this time was obviously so much more rushed and hectic.

I would drop a note to Customer Services in the circumstances you know. Maybe they may let you make your booking now and still get your OBC?

Hi Scriv, I contacted P@O and they have been brilliant. I am now all booked for next March and they honoured the on board credit. They were really helpful and now I am looking forward to our transatlantic on Azura.

Hi Scriv, I contacted P@O and they have been brilliant. I am now all booked for next March and they honoured the on board credit. They were really helpful and now I am looking forward to our transatlantic on Azura.

Good to hear. Well done P and O. Hope you have a great cruise.:)

A slight interjection here - someone we met on this trip said that they had arrived earlier, ie much earlier and had handed in their luggage very early and had been taken by a shuttle into Southampton.

I am interested in hearing this as some of us have talked about it quite a lot on another thread a little bit tongue in cheek, but if they can do it once, could they not think of doing it again in normal circumstances for people who have to arrive at the terminal early?

We had a very nice lunch at a pub just inside the old walls of Southampton from where we could see the port, which was so much nicer than waiting inside the terminal.

Edited by Scriv