Is Ventura like Marmite?

blitznbobs

Seems to be a love it or hate it with little in between... is this an age split or just an 'outlook' split..

I've booked to go on Ventura in June next year and was wondering if I was the right kind of person to enjoy it...

(I'm in my 30s, with a young child, a medic and a member of the judicary and like dressing up but also like to 'throw myself into' things ... in a work hard, play hard kind of way... and I have been known to have the odd drink occasionally)

Bx

Give us a clue what type of ppl like Ventura...

"Seems to be a love it or hate it with little in between... is this an age split or just an 'outlook' split.."

A bit of both, really.

Pre Ventura, P&O was a very conservative line with a high level of formality. Middle Endland at sea, popular with quiet living individuals with middle class credentials or pretensions. They used to have onboard get-togethers for Freemasons, Rotarians and masonic widows, which will give you a good idea of the typical customer. Then along came Ventura. Out went much of the formality, dress codes were simplified with the elimination of semi-formal nights, and in came a more cosmopolitan type of cruiser who may not previously have considered sailing with P&O. Middle England at sea no longer! This did not go down well with some of P&Os traditional customers, who tend to use terms like "dumbing down" and to make references to Ocean Village when discussing her. For others, however, Ventura represents P&O finally entering the 21st century and realising that many people just see a cruise as a holiday at sea, no more no less, and do not really want the high level of formality that used to go with it.

It is, therefore, more a matter of outloook than age, although it is true that Ventura tends to attract a considerably younger age group than say Oriana or Aurora. I am a retired professional man in my 60s and she is my favourite P&O ship.

Hi

I'm in the love camp - that is Ventura not Marmite (disgusting stuff!!!!!!)

Ventura is our favourite ship as it has some great dining venues, fantastic kids clubs and is generally a bit livelier than some of the other P and O ships and less formal.

I'm sure you will have a great time

Sue

Seems to be a love it or hate it with little in between... is this an age split or just an 'outlook' split..

I've booked to go on Ventura in June next year and was wondering if I was the right kind of person to enjoy it...

(I'm in my 30s, with a young child, a medic and a member of the judicary and like dressing up but also like to 'throw myself into' things ... in a work hard, play hard kind of way... and I have been known to have the odd drink occasionally)

Bx

Give us a clue what type of ppl like Ventura...

Well have tried the OV and Island cruises (dare I mention those here!) then jumped with both feet into quite a complete change with a adult only formal & semi formal cruise to Venice on Arcadia! then earlier this year a cruise on Ventura and loved both. We are on Ventura again at New Year and in June next, it is a great ship, big, loads to see and do if you chose, the food and service excellent. Like with all holidays they are what you make them don't think age has much to do with it we are in our late 40's? we have had great evenings with fellow cruisers probably a good 20 years older and made a sharp exit with some many years younger.

A holiday/cruise is the same for us to we both work very hard and long as the old saying goes "life is not a rehearsal" so we enjoy the places, people and probably try things we would never do at home.

Everyone has opinions it would be a boring old place if they were all the same!

We enjoyed Ventura (and Azura which is very similar indeed) this year. I am in my 30s with two young children who were aged 9 months and 4 at the time. P&O are a really good cruise line if you are travelling with children and they make life very easy (baby equipment provided, children's teas and great clubs). There are sporty/outdoor activities on offer (e.g. 5 aside football with my husband found very helpful for working off all that food), and a great gym etc.

Ventura/Azura are good family ships with facilities that appeal to different ages. On both cruises there were a lot of family groups of three generations and it seemed to work well.

P&O drinks prices are VERY reasonably priced so if you enjoy the odd cocktail or a glass of wine your onboard account won't take too much of a hammering.

I couldn't comment on whether Ventura is like a holiday camp as I haven't been to one. To be honest it was more like a retirement home when we travelled (average age 70+), but we went early in the season on a Med cruise. The youth crew advised that there more children on cruises from May/June onwards when parents of pre-schoolers went away before school holiday prices kicked in, and schools in Ireland/Scotland starting to break up for summer.

Edited by cclarke12

Been on Oceana, Grand Princess, Celebrity Eclipse and Ventura, Ventura 4 times,so guess which ship we like best!! Depending on what time you go on her,like out of school holiday season ,she will feel a completely different ship,but there are always a good cross section of ages onboard,and things to do.

Alreday booked for her again next year. Dont worr,just go and have fun.

Rob:D:D

Well I am a Rotarian and I like Ventura and no doubt I will organise a meeting next time we are on board ...April.

Ventura is fantastic and for 30 year olds 40 year olds and also 50 and 60 and 70.

We also like Aurora, Oriana, Arcadia, Oceana, Azura will join the list next September.

BTW all the above are like holiday camps as are QV, QM2, QE and all other cruise ships. They all have dancing, organised meals, slot machines, organised games, swimming pools, table tennis, evening entertainment and of course BINGO

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Somone said you can kill signatures. Perhaps someone can tell me where.

Many thanks

Mike

Ask the moderators......but they have long ones as well.

:):)Happy Cruisers:):)

:cool:

Dai

"Seems to be a love it or hate it with little in between... is this an age split or just an 'outlook' split.."

A bit of both, really.

Pre Ventura, P&O was a very conservative line with a high level of formality. Middle Endland at sea, popular with quiet living individuals with middle class credentials or pretensions. They used to have onboard get-togethers for Freemasons, Rotarians and masonic widows, which will give you a good idea of the typical customer. Then along came Ventura. Out went much of the formality, dress codes were simplified with the elimination of semi-formal nights, and in came a more cosmopolitan type of cruiser who may not previously have considered sailing with P&O. Middle England at sea no longer! This did not go down well with some of P&Os traditional customers, who tend to use terms like "dumbing down" and to make references to Ocean Village when discussing her. For others, however, Ventura represents P&O finally entering the 21st century and realising that many people just see a cruise as a holiday at sea, no more no less, and do not really want the high level of formality that used to go with it.

It is, therefore, more a matter of outloook than age, although it is true that Ventura tends to attract a considerably younger age group than say Oriana or Aurora. I am a retired professional man in my 60s and she is my favourite P&O ship.

Denarius,

Once again a post full of common sense. We are really looking forward to our "holiday at sea" as you so eloquently put it as we sail on Ventura this weekend.

Like you, I am retired, professional man in my 60's who came late to cruising via the Ocean Village brand( still, IMO, the best brand name in the industry). I am now looking to P&O to provide a similar experience, alongside those passengers who still want formal evenings.

• 1 month later...