Southampton Port Hotels

sunny seas

We are looking to book pre cruise stay in Southampton. I am sure many on this forum will be able to recommend places for us. We would also like to have a nice evening meal to start our holiday so would be grateful for any suggestions.

Cheers :D

sunny seas

I've stayed in both Grand Harbour and Novotel and they were both hotels I'd return to. Indeed I'm in the GH again at the end of the month. I wouldn't recommend Jury's Inn though. No room safes, appalling state of the restaurant at breakfast, odd location and the 'secure' care park is just a public car park under the hotel.

We stayed in the Holiday Inn in Winchester. The hotel was excellent and the price includes return taxis to the port, it was about 30 - 40 mins away. You park and leave your car in the hotel car park and, while there is no barrier, it felt secure. We did not eat there in the evening as it was nearly 9 by the time we got there thanks to Friday evening m25 traffic but the breakfast was very good and the evening menu looked very good.

We stay at the Pig in the Wall. The meals there are more like snacks but they do operate a complimentary shuttle to the Pig in the Forest restaurant. If you have a car and like Chinese I'd recommend the Mandarin Chef at Romsey, they do s buffet but it's served to you at your table, so essentially just fixed price ordering.

The Holiday Inn in Herbert Walker Avenue is close to the sea port and opposite to The Grand Harbour Hotel. Both of these have a swimming pool and will arrange taxi or transfer by staff to the quayside. The restaurant in the Grand Harbour Hotel is a bit better but they both have good ones.

Regards John

I would also recommend the Premier Inn West Quay. It's very handy for Kuti's Royal Thai Pier and a lot of other city centre restaurants and pubs. The breakfast is very good and is all you can eat so is plentiful.

Eddie

Premier Inn West Quay for us too. Everything about it is ok... right near the shopping mall for a mooch around, lots of restaurants and very handy for the port.

We often have a look around in the afternoon then have their meal deal and a quiet drink before the cruise which lies ahead.

We wouldn't believe the p[rice last time... booked early and it was something like £34.

A lovely way to start your holiday!

Edited by indiana123

Premier Inn West Quay. Good value hotel. Clean. Excellent breakfasts. Large M & S right opposite.

We also use West Quay Premier Inn, for any one with a car you can park in the multi car park for a fiver overnight .

The other week when we were down there was pleased to see the new Co-op mini mart had also opened right next door

to the Premier Inn. Very handy :)

I used the West Quay Premier Inn and both breakfast and dinner were very good and great value with the "meal deal". There was a large party staying the night before their cruise and the staff were worried about breakfast and divided them into 2 sittings. They rang me in my room to advise a quiet time and said to come down as they'd kept a table for me. Excellent service!

:) :D Just booked West Quay Premier Inn for one night pre cruise for next January. £29 for double room (no food) but can add breakfast on arrival.Bargain :D Hope to find a nice restaurant nearby for a lovely meal to start the holiday.

Getting very organised now .

Sunny seas

We are looking to book pre cruise stay in Southampton. I am sure many on this forum will be able to recommend places for us. We would also like to have a nice evening meal to start our holiday so would be grateful for any suggestions.

Cheers :D

sunny seas

Hi Sunny

We usually stay at "The New Place" hotel in Shirrel Heath, Southampton. For £199 you get superb evening meal, comfy room, really good breakfast, taxi to the ship (and return at cruise end) 14 nights on site parking. Last time I looked at port cruise parking it would have cost me ~£160 so I think the hotel stay represent good value. Going down the day before embarkation is a really good, stress free way to start your holiday