Ladies that Pack Light, Come In Please

crewsgirl

Oh my, I just found a reversible dress at TravelSmith.com! Could it be possible....1 garment for 2 evenings? What is your thought on this?

Yes or No Way?

http://www.travelsmith.com/voyager-knit-cap-sleeved-reversible-dress/517030

For me personally....no way would I want something to touch my skin that had been worn to sit on chairs, possibly park benches, leaned up against, etc. Anything that has contact with "the outside" is not want I want touching my chest, tummy, legs, etc.

Unless you plan to clean the dress between wearings (and you likely will not want or need to do that), I would just dress up the solid color with different accessories. Those weigh very little.

• 1 month later...

So, we packed and found a compromise.....1 checked bag and 1 carry on bag for 12 days. Pretty good for us! We used all compression bags, and cross packed in the carry on bag with only the items necessary for 3 days in Amsterdam. No reversible dress because I decided no dress was needed for this trip at all. So far, so good. I added 2 pair of Tieks for a compact ballet flat with a pop of color , 2 scarves that functioned very well on the plane, and a cashmere wrap for warmth. I probably still overpacked, but this was a great exercise in paring down and so much more manageable as we used the bus from the airport to our apartment in Amsterdam.

So, we packed and found a compromise.....1 checked bag and 1 carry on bag for 12 days. Pretty good for us! We used all compression bags, and cross packed in the carry on bag with only the items necessary for 3 days in Amsterdam. No reversible dress because I decided no dress was needed for this trip at all. So far, so good. I added 2 pair of Tieks for a compact ballet flat with a pop of color , 2 scarves that functioned very well on the plane, and a cashmere wrap for warmth. I probably still overpacked, but this was a great exercise in paring down and so much more manageable as we used the bus from the airport to our apartment in Amsterdam.

Congrats on moving over from the 'dark side'....and I bet next trip, you will pare down even more!

We tend to want to pack our entire closet and then haul it around Europe resulting in sore backs and shoulders. Light is where it is at and I bet you didn't miss anything that stayed home in your closet! Well done.

Starting to read this thread very carefully in preparation for out Sept sailing. Will be gone 23 days and have always been a chronic over packer. Determined to do it right this time!!!! Keep the advice coming, thanks all.

Currently sitting here re-reading my current TravelSmith catalog:)

YES, Rodie H, This is THE issue. I am planning to ship my goodies home. It is going to be hard to do the black forest & wine regions on the Rhine and not buy a few items.

I am hoping that Christmas ornaments will be available in some year round shops since we won't be there during the glorious Christmas Markets. :(

Also thinking this may be a wonderful opportunity for table linens, clocks, and who knows what else as well!

As a matter of fact, I may mail my dirty clothes home at the end, or even throw them away, if need be to make some room! ;)

Just be wary if you think you are buying souvenirs MADE in the country you are visiting and then worrying about packing space, shipping home, checking bags etc; check first to see WHERE they are made.

On our Rhine cruise, we visited a Christmas shop that was a delight. I went to buy a few souvenirs so that this Xmas I would have a reminder. I turned them over and they were made in China. :eek:

I didn't buy them and although they would be a reminder, it just seemed wrong.

We have travelled so much that our kids have been spoiled already so we tend not to bring back gifts or even souvenirs anymore. When we do, it will be a scarf, Tshirt, empty decorator pillow (where I buy the foam form once back home), place mats or napkins etc. FLAT, light weight and usually I can find those sort of items made locally at markets and artisan shops.

Edited by remydiva

We just got back from 2 weeks in Northern Europe. One week pre cruise in Iceland and Copenhagen, then a week on the Baltic. Will be doing the Danube next year and looking forward to it.

I like to pack light though don't always accomplish it. This trip, we needed good warm clothes for Iceland, but wouldn't need much of them again. I found a great down jacket from LL Bean. It was cool on the ship and I ended up wearing it much more than had planned.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/83440?feat=610-GN1&page=ultralight-850-down-jacket

It was warm, lightweight, and packs itself down into one of it's pockets. I kept in on my carryon of the plane and it took up very little space.

Cute jacket! I have not figure out what kind of weather we are looking at from Amsterdam to Budapest! I'm thinking cool with some rain. However, have been to the Med in this same time frame and darn near suffered heat stroke in Greece & Turkey ;)

Just be wary if you think you are buying souvenirs MADE in the country you are visiting and then worrying about packing space, shipping home, checking bags etc; check first to see WHERE they are made. On our Rhine cruise, we visited a Christmas shop that was a delight. I went to buy a few souvenirs so that this Xmas I would have a reminder. I turned them over and they were made in China. I didn't buy them and although they would be a reminder, it just seemed wrong. We have travelled so much that our kids have been spoiled already so we tend not to bring back gifts or even souvenirs anymore. When we do, it will be a scarf, Tshirt, empty decorator pillow (where I buy the foam form once back home), place mats or napkins etc. FLAT, light weight and usually I can find those sort of items made locally at markets and artisan shops.

If I can buy souvenirs and Christmas gifts on line, why would I shlep them all the way back across the Pond? ;)

My souvenirs are almost always from the grocery store. Or liquor store. And we usually bring back an ornament because they're easy to pack. But we don't always buy "ornaments" - we also have coins hanging on our tree, a bottle opener (that was very bad at opening bottles but is a lovely reminder of a trip), and even photos mounted on other objects as ornaments.

As I might have mentioned earlier in this thread (and certainly in other threads in the fashion forum) I am always learning and trying to pack better. Some trips are very light weight. Others are not. But they are ALL well thought out :p

Hoyaheel I'm with ya with the liquor store souvenirs lol. Or jewelry.

The hardest thing to give up is shoes. Once you bite the bullet and accept your shoes might be less than attractive yet comfortable for walking, it is freeing. :-). Then you just to make sure that your pants are the right length for your shoes.

We do a lot of traveling and cruising and the last couple of time 5 week cruises and all with carry-on There is also a video on http://www.packinglight.com Take a lot of black and mitch and match lots of scarves jewelry to dress it upThe workoutshoes Ecco bioms I wear on the plane They are very light and lot of support Take a pair of ballerina flats and I always wear fitflops sandles very comfortable and supportive Walked all over the world in them 2 bathing suits and coverups for around the pool and pareo'sTravelsmith and Chico's traveler collection are great for travelingMy jacket is from Travelsmith a raincoat that folds up in a small bag with a hood and you can take the lining out when in warmer weather or leave it at home when traveling to warmer weatherHave been doing this for years and is great you always have your luggage We take an overflow bag when we buy stuff and ship that home as checked luggage Hope this helped.

My problem is all the "other" stuff that I seem to take. Extra camera batteries, memory cards and chargers for everything!! Also our first aid kit is heavy by the time I pack the "what if medications, creams and bandaids."

Sun Screen and bug spray too! Could never manage a carry on try as I might!

I am taking a break from packing for our trip--we leave Wednesday. It certainly does not appear I am a light packer! But I think I'll have extra room in my suitcase, and I'm taking the smallest carry-on we have, so for me, that's progress :)

My husband does not want to take a jacket or second pair of walking shoes. I debated about the shoes, but a couple people here suggested it in case it rains and one pair gets wet. Yeah, I know, there hasn't been much rain in Europe this summer! But maybe tonight when we saw on the news a plane trying to land during a storm in Amsterdam, he might re-think at least the jacket.

I am taking a break from packing for our trip--we leave Wednesday. It certainly does not appear I am a light packer! But I think I'll have extra room in my suitcase, and I'm taking the smallest carry-on we have, so for me, that's progress :)

My husband does not want to take a jacket or second pair of walking shoes. I debated about the shoes, but a couple people here suggested it in case it rains and one pair gets wet. Yeah, I know, there hasn't been much rain in Europe this summer! But maybe tonight when we saw on the news a plane trying to land during a storm in Amsterdam, he might re-think at least the jacket.

Two pairs of walking shoes for sure. Even if it doesn't rain, if it's hot you need to let the shoes breathe every other day. You can easily buy a jacket while there; shoes are not so easy to fit.