All Things Vantage

FuelScience

Thanks, Hydrokitty

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused about the wording. The best thing to do is call Vantage.

For sure....now one hint: if you book your optional tour(s) with Vantage before you go make sure the cost of the optionals does NOT increase your trip insurance premium. They will tell you that it isn't supposed to, and it isn't, but 3x I have had to call them to adjust my invoice because it did!! It's not a deliberate attempt to get away with something, it's a glitch in their computer program which they willingly admit immediately but they keep thinking it's fixed and sometimes it isn't. Ask them to check and then when your portfolio is up and running again, check and make sure trip ins. has not gone up.

• 2 weeks later...
Cell phones, camera better ides, my make up mirror!

If you're on Vantage there will be 2 u.s. plugs in your room. 1 in batgroom and 1 at dressing table. Don't think you'll need make-up mirror. If question is where do you get one..best buy or any place thar sells travel stuff. To find out what kind you need...easiest is make a list of countries you're going to and look on line or take it to Best Buy....most of Europe uses same plug..england is different.

Well if the river water levels keep falling, will Vantage cancel our River Splendor cruise from Budapest to Bonn 8/31/15 ?

I hope the 0.2M draught of River Splendor compared to Viking ships with 1.5M draught makes it possible to travel in the low waters.

From what I have been reading the river, between Passau and Nuremberg is where it is the lowest?

I have been watching the live web cam in Passau and there are ships in and out of there every day.

There is rain in the forecast for Frankfurt next week, but will it help?

We have a post extension in Prague and Bratislava before we get on the ship in Budapest, booked through Vantage. If the water level keeps falling while we are on our way to Budapest we might be staying on the buss.

Well if the river water levels keep falling, will Vantage cancel our River Splendor cruise from Budapest to Bonn 8/31/15 ?

I hope the 0.2M draught of River Splendor compared to Viking ships with 1.5M draught makes it possible to travel in the low waters.

From what I have been reading the river, between Passau and Nuremberg is where it is the lowest?

I have been watching the live web cam in Passau and there are ships in and out of there every day.

We have a post extension in Prague and Bratislava before we get on the ship in Budapest, booked through Vantage. If the water level keeps falling while we are on our way to Budapest we might be staying on the buss.

Wish I could answer your questions.....but since I cannot, I can only hope that it all works out for you. I can say that Vantage is probably working feverishly to make sure your trip goes as scheduled. You might have to make some alterations but all I can do is say try to make the best of it, look for one good thing every day and keep saying to yourself, "It's nobody's fault".....'cause you'd have to blame the river gods (and they don't like that)....seriously...Good luck with your trip...you're going to LOVE Prague and Bratislava......p.s.: I'm cruising from Amsterdam to Basel in two weeks...que sera, sera. :D

I don't think that's correct. I checked the River Splendor specs and it reports the draught (operational) is 1.4m, and the draught (ballast) as 2.1m

We were recently on the River Navigator and her draught was 1.5m (roughly 5 feet). The low spot in the river (between Passau and Regensburg) was running about 6 feet at the time we passed. We (all of us on the cruise) heap barrels of appreciation on our captain for getting us through. Of course, those of us who were in the lower deck rooms did have some "noises" that night as the ship movement kicked up smaller rocks from the bottom while passing.

I don't think that's correct. I checked the River Splendor specs and it reports the draught (operational) is 1.4m, and the draught (ballast) as 2.1m

We were recently on the River Navigator and her draught was 1.5m (roughly 5 feet). The low spot in the river (between Passau and Regensburg) was running about 6 feet at the time we passed. We (all of us on the cruise) heap barrels of appreciation on our captain for getting us through. Of course, those of us who were in the lower deck rooms did have some "noises" that night as the ship movement kicked up smaller rocks from the bottom while passing.

The draught information I got was off the live ships map. I know nothing about sailing so your information is probably correct.

I have been on several ocean cruises, where it is not a concern,but this is the first river cruise.

Thanks for you input.

I have a question about category A and B cabins on the River Splendor (or similar ships). From the website and brochure it seems that the only differences are cabin placement (A's on a higher deck than B's) and minibar (A's have and B's do not). Is this correct or have I missed something? Do the differences justify paying the price differential?

I have a question about category A and B cabins on the River Splendor (or similar ships). From the website and brochure it seems that the only differences are cabin placement (A's on a higher deck than B's) and minibar (A's have and B's do not). Is this correct or have I missed something? Do the differences justify paying the price differential?

I haven't been on the new ships, but that is true on the Navigator, which I've been on at least 6 times. The A and B cabins are the same size and on the new ships they both have french balconies on the Navigator only the A cabins have them. I'm not sure if both have mini-fridges....I know the A cabins have a mini-fridge and we remove all the stuff from it and load up our stuff and then put their stuff back the last night. Personally, I would not pay the difference in price IF they both have french balconies. I need the balcony because I get claustrophobic, but if B class has the balcony, then I would take it. You don't get any other benefits like on the big ships.

The only difference between our cabin (B) and our friends (A) besides cost was the mini-fridge. Same size, different floor (they were 2 doors down above us). They really needed their fridge for cheese and wine... French balcony and views of the river were exactly the same! Top floor was closer to the lounge, our floor to the dining room and main desk and departing decks (usually ...though it can vary with ports). Otherwise no big difference.

Edited by pbnjrockette

The only difference between our cabin (B) and our friends (A) besides cost was the mini-fridge. Same size, different floor (they were 2 doors down above us). They really needed their fridge for cheese and wine... French balcony and views of the river were exactly the same! Top floor was closer to the lounge, our floor to the dining room and main desk and departing decks (usually ...though it can vary with ports). Otherwise no big difference.

So the B level cabins do NOT have a fridge. In that case I would pay the extra for the A level. We drink a lot of water and I like it really cold.....and of course, the wine and cheese does have to be chilled. :D

Thanks pbnjrockette!

So the B level cabins do NOT have a fridge. In that case I would pay the extra for the A level. We drink a lot of water and I like it really cold.....and of course, the wine and cheese does have to be chilled. :D
I have yet to see a cabin fridge on any commercial ship or boat that could get anything "really cold" - generally you are lucky to get it to 50 or 45 degrees F. IMO most cheeses should be consumed at room temperature, but if you like them chilled then that's the way for you to go.

I have yet to see a cabin fridge on any commercial ship or boat that could get anything "really cold" - generally you are lucky to get it to 50 or 45 degrees F. IMO most cheeses should be consumed at room temperature, but if you like them chilled then that's the way for you to go.

French cheeses are wonderful! But keeping some of the delightful cheeses without refrigeration for days on a Riverboat... probably not!

Fridge in our cabin on Vantage kept water cold enough, maybe "really" is an exaggeration...I like soft cheeses and most of them I like on the cold side....I know this is a cardinal sin, but I also like red wine chilled! :D

• 1 month later...

We arrived in Amsterdam this morning and are ready to begin our pre-tour. Saturday we will board River Navigator in Bonn. (I found this thread on Page 5, :eek: and will now bring it forward.)

Edited by bobpatj

We arrived in Amsterdam this morning and are ready to begin our pre-tour. Saturday we will board River Navigator in Bonn. (I found this thread on Page 5, :eek: and will now bring it forward.)

We just came off Navigator (9/11) Amsterdam to Basel....which trip are you on? I ask because we boarded in Amsterdam and our first stop was Cologne...:D

We are in Amsterdam for the 3 night pre-stay. Saturday we take a bus tour from here to Bonn and board the ship, there, in the afternoon.

Are you going to Budapest or Basel? We did Amsterdam to Basel on the Rhine and Moselle....it was fantastic. If that's your trip, let me know if you have any questions about ports. If you're going to Budapest, that was our first Vantage trip and still right up there in the top 3.

We are leaving Oct. 20 on our first river cruise.

Does anyone know if the broken lock on the Seine has been fixed?

Do men need sport jackets for Captain's dinner?

Are we allowed to bring alcohol and/or soft drinks on board?

If anyone knows this boat, can you tell me about cabin 331? It s an end cabin and I am concerned about possible noise factor.

Thanks for any insight.