Low levels on the Danube July 2015

ingo_e

The perfect attitude for traveling anywhere! Be flexible, consider it an adventure and perhaps have some backup plans in mind....:)

We are on the Scenic Opal, there has apparently been an incident/grounding between Passau and Regensberg........we have left Passau early and are making our way towards an area where we will await the moving of the grounded vessel. We have been advised by the captain that once the grounded vessel is moved we are placed ready to move through to Regensberg, we are to expect noise and vibrations in the rear of the ship. It is anticipated that we will get through the problem area overnight.

Hope this helps

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hopefully all goes well for you over there on the Danube. A grounded vessel, that clearly indicates to me what the official gauging stations tell: the river is low around Passau and Regensburg. No change for the better, I am afraid.

Barges are traveling mostly empty, the huge barges of course have the deepest draft. German news reports say that some of the large passenger vessels are affected. The navigation channel is getting narrower so passing of ships is sometimes tricky.

I am not sure if we mean the same grounded vessel, but one incident on Friday (already cleared by now) happened because a barge got to close to a dredger and got caught in the steel cable.

The level in Passau itself, by the way, is kept at a decent level as the next lock is only 25km away.

notamermaid

I am happy to report that our daughter and her friends had a dreamy trip on the River Beatrice last week and were able to make it from Budapest to Passau. Her photos show the extremely-low levels of the Danube. I am sorry to hear of problems above Passau. All of the low water issues make me wonder why there is not more dredging work being done. Please excuse my ignorance of the issues, but with the incredible German engineering skills available, I wonder why the channel cannot be made deeper?

We are on the Scenic Opal' date=' there has apparently been an incident/grounding between Passau and Regensberg........we have left Passau early and are making our way towards an area where we will await the moving of the grounded vessel. We have been advised by the captain that once the grounded vessel is moved we are placed ready to move through to Regensberg, we are to expect noise and vibrations in the rear of the ship. It is anticipated that we will get through the problem area overnight.

Hope this helps

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote']

According to Vesselfinder Scenic Opal did not make it to Regensberg last night. Can you give us an update on the situation? Did Scenic get you to Regensberg for the scheduled tours?

We are on the River Splendor, in Regensburg and scheduled to sail to Passau tonight. There has been no mention, by the crew,of problems ahead. Hopefully, we will arrive in Passau as scheduled.

We are on the River Splendor, in Regensburg and scheduled to sail to Passau tonight. There has been no mention, by the crew,of problems ahead. Hopefully, we will arrive in Passau as scheduled.

If you get a chance please let us know where you wake up tomorrow.

The captain has told us that we will overnight in Regensburg and then be bussed to Passau in the morning. The empty ship will sail to Passau and if all goes well it will arrive at 6 or 7 pm tomorrow night.

According to Vesselfinder Scenic Opal did not make it to Regensberg last night. Can you give us an update on the situation? Did Scenic get you to Regensberg for the scheduled tours?

According to marinetraffic.com Scenic Opal just docked in Regensburg.

We made it to Regensburg at about 9pm last night, one excursion cancelled, the walking tour to Regensburg went ahead. We are now in the Danube/Maine/Rhine Canal and past the low water problems, we will be in Nuremburg this afternoon and now back on our itinerary.

Scenic have been wonderful, we have been kept fully informed, nothing hidden. The crew were up all night the night before last with poles, searchlights etc checking the water levels as we inched along. It was facinating. Our cruise is only half way through and has exceeded all expectations.

Would recommend this type of cruise to any who would contemplate it.

Chris

Hello How's the Serenity,

poles and search lights!? That is certainly an experience of a lifetime on the dug-out, altered, modernized, highly-modern electronically monitored and tracked European rivers.

Reminds me of the stories of the first trial runs of the steamships upstream on the Rhine in 1817 and 1824.

Enjoy the Main and the Rhine and their scenery.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

I know there is no predicting what water levels will do over the next few months but I have a general question about averages along the Danube. We are scheduled to cruise from Budapest to Passau Dec 1 - 8 on Uniworld's Maria Theresa. I'm curious for those who have seen in the past the low levels during the summer on the Danube whether the fall is a wetter time of year and with the lower temperatures whether it on average the Danube would recover from a hot and dry summer. I haven't really been able to find threads about water levels for the Christmas cruises.

papa B me,

Nobody has reported that river levels are too low for passenger ships downriver from Passau. Your cruise is downriver from Passau where the Danube, the Inn and the Ilz meet.

And yes, ample rain is very likely before your cruise, I would say with a 99.9%probability.