AMA African River Safari

Got2Cruise

Received the new 2016 AMA catalog the other day and it lists an African Safari! An African Safari is on my bucket list. I'm wondering if the animals you can observe can compare to the traditional Safari that you take on land. I don't recall anyone here ever mentioning an African River tour. I would love to hear everyone's comments and opinions about an African Safari River tour. (I'm not planning to book in the near future but it lit a light in my mind lol)

We have friends who used Amawaterways for the Stars of Africa trip. The tour combines hotel stays, safari lodges, and 4 nights on the Zambezi Queen.

They absolutely loved the experience and got great pictures of the big five animals and much more.

The Zambezi Queen is on the Chobe River, but does not travel much. It's more of a home base for more animal viewing. There is a cc review here.

I have been following this itinerary too. In 2015 AMA has three different Safari cruise tours, but in 2016 only this one. I'm hoping that they will restore my favorite (Golden Trails -- 17 days that covers all the bases) in the future when I'm ready. But I think any decent Safari would be a great first such adventure, so if this is all that's available I'll consider it.

I have been following this itinerary too. In 2015 AMA has three different Safari cruise tours, but in 2016 only this one. I'm hoping that they will restore my favorite (Golden Trails -- 17 days that covers all the bases) in the future when I'm ready. But I think any decent Safari would be a great first such adventure, so if this is all that's available I'll consider it.

Check their website again. Just in the past day or two more of the 2016 Africa itineraries are up -- there are now four choices :)

Check their website again. Just in the past day or two more of the 2016 Africa itineraries are up -- there are now four choices :)

Thank you! I was afraid that the general fear of traveling to Africa (mentioned in a recent cruise line interview) had led them to cut back on their offerings. This is great news -- the new choice is only 10 days, so it should bring this concept to a new lower price point.

We were on the Chobe Princess house boat back in June (sister boat to the Zambezi Queen) as part of a longer holiday in southern Africa. The wildlife viewing from the river is different from a land safari (we did quite a few different game drives/safaries in different areas. I would consider it a more relaxing way to view animals - you sit back in your boat (with a refreshment) and watch the animals come to the waters edge to drink etc. I have a write up a few pages back on this forum. We were woken by hippos of a morning.

Animals we saw from the houseboat/tender - elephant, buffalo, giraffe, impala, hippo, kudu, baboon, vervet monkeys, water monitor, warthog, many birds including fish eagles, african jacanas. You have the option to go fishing for tiger fish. Combined with stays at land based lodges this gives you another experience.

We were on the Chobe Princess house boat back in June (sister boat to the Zambezi Queen) as part of a longer holiday in southern Africa. The wildlife viewing from the river is different from a land safari (we did quite a few different game drives/safaries in different areas. I would consider it a more relaxing way to view animals - you sit back in your boat (with a refreshment) and watch the animals come to the waters edge to drink etc. I have a write up a few pages back on this forum. We were woken by hippos of a morning.

Animals we saw from the houseboat/tender - elephant, buffalo, giraffe, impala, hippo, kudu, baboon, vervet monkeys, water monitor, warthog, many birds including fish eagles, african jacanas. You have the option to go fishing for tiger fish. Combined with stays at land based lodges this gives you another experience.

Oh how wonderful that you experienced this. The brochure also mentioned an elephant sanctuary. If I go all the way to Africa I'd hope to see some lions and my hubby would demand it. Lol. I'm going to look for your review. Thanks.

I've gone on 2 land safaris in Africa - once with my parents when I was a teen, and once (a quickie) when I was in Tanzania for work a couple years ago - I really wanted my husband to come with me so we could do a proper safari but the timing was bad for him. So I'm trying to get another work trip so he can come with me:D

He might enjoy the river trip aspect of this, but I'm not sure I would....In any event, the Mekong is higher on both our priority lists....

Edited by Hoyaheel

An African safari is on my husband's bucket list. The only way I am likely to join him is on an itinerary like this, with AMA.

When I read that this tour goes to a special camp with air conditioned tents, I knew it was something I could handle. Lol. But on the other hand I wouldn't want it to be like the Animal Safari park in Disney either

There are several levels of safari available if you decide to do a land tour - from super expensive luxury flying private planes around on down to non-a/c tents (but you'll still have great food, guides, and security! And it won't really be "cheap";))

HI, VADA,

Would you please give us a Link to your write up? Thanks! ;)

1) Click on any user's name

2) When you're in that User's Profile, click on the "statistics" tab. In this case, click on the hyperlink for "threads started by [uSERNAME]

3) Select the link that looks most appropriate:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2221512

(of course, you can also search in this forum - upper right hand on the Board screen)

Thanks Hoyaheel - I have no idea how to insert a link (I usually search on a persons cc profile).

I booked the houseboat stay independantly as part of a longer trip to Southern Africa. Cost was approx US $1000 a night for the 2 of us - all inclusive. You can find out information on the Ichobezi or Zambezie Queen web sites - there are 4 boats now owned by the Mantis group.

This was the last part of a months stay -so we were ready for a restful time.

Looks great, but what does it cost?

I found them by clicking 'view details' and then clicking 'dates and rates' to get a general idea. The 'notes' section will tell you how much to add for intra-Africa air.

We just met someone from South Africa the other day and brought up the subject of these tours that AMA is offering. We wanted to know what was the best time of the year to do these tours. He suggested going during their "winter" (July-August) as the brush at the river's edge is not so overgrown as during their summer - therefore animal viewing is easier. I see you went during June - did you feel there was any issue of brush obscuring your viewing times? You seem to have seen a lot of animals.

This gentleman we met from South Africa also told us that Cape Town would be cooler and probably wetter than during November-December - high tourist season. Which also means less crowded.

-Rose

Oh how wonderful that you experienced this. The brochure also mentioned an elephant sanctuary. If I go all the way to Africa I'd hope to see some lions and my hubby would demand it. Lol. I'm going to look for your review. Thanks.

I sorta remember something about lions at the Ngorongoro crater (which is listed as a destination on Day 14 of the Golden Trails of Africa tour). There was an article about them in Nat'l Geo in 1992, but over the years they have suffered some ups and downs in their numbers. But they are still there according to this article I found online:

https://afktravel.com/92632/the-lions-of-ngorongoro-a-remarkable-tale-of-survival/

-Rose

We just met someone from South Africa the other day and brought up the subject of these tours that AMA is offering. We wanted to know what was the best time of the year to do these tours. He suggested going during their "winter" (July-August) as the brush at the river's edge is not so overgrown as during their summer - therefore animal viewing is easier. I see you went during June - did you feel there was any issue of brush obscuring your viewing times? You seem to have seen a lot of animals.

This gentleman we met from South Africa also told us that Cape Town would be cooler and probably wetter than during November-December - high tourist season. Which also means less crowded.

-Rose

Hi Rose, We travelled mid May to mid June (dry season/start of winter). Chobe Nat park doesn't really have brush - it is rather sandy along the river banks and the islands are a bit like a flood plain. But I can understand what they mean -because when we were doing land safaris if there was a lot of bush it could be hard to spot things. It is amazing how easy a giraffe can hide behind a tree. Our tracker (In Madikwe) found a leopard - he was about 6 feet from the road in a thorn bush thicket -we were able to drive within a couple of feet and it took us some time to see him hidden in the brush.

We had no rain - often wore cotton capris and t-shirt with a fleece. Early mornings and evenings were cold in open vehicles so you need to layer up.

I sorta remember something about lions at the Ngorongoro crater (which is listed as a destination on Day 14 of the Golden Trails of Africa tour). There was an article about them in Nat'l Geo in 1992, but over the years they have suffered some ups and downs in their numbers. But they are still there according to this article I found online:

https://afktravel.com/92632/the-lions-of-ngorongoro-a-remarkable-tale-of-survival/

I spent 1 day at Ngorongoro Crater in Feb 2011 and saw a couple of different groups of lion, cheetah, and the incredibly rare black rhino. Plus all sorts of other animals. Had a blast there!

(among the 2 parks I visited that trip, the only one of the "Big 5" I did not see was a leopard - but I saw so much other fabulous wildlife that I think I'll survive ;-)

Edited by Hoyaheel

I was given an AMA brochure yesterday from my TA who really recommend we do their Africa cruise.

Its starting price is £6,239 per person at cheapest rate.A lot of money.

3 nights in Tintswalo Atlantic Lodge,Cape Town.Winelands tour,Table mountain,cape of good hope,boulders beach,cape point.

4 nights Zambezi Queen river cruise.balcony staterooms,national park safari,private boat safaris,visit a village,traditional Boma dinner.

3 Nights stay in Elephant camp ( intimate lodge under canvas),

Zambezi River sunset cruise with tapas,tour of Victoria falls.limited edition tours.

Various meals,drinks etc included.

Intra-Africa air is £964 per person.

There are also extensions that can be added pre or post trip.

No mention if flights are included or not..

Sad to say that we won't be forking out £14,000 for this trip:(