Avalon Included Excursions...thoughts? Paris with Normandy Beaches

SunFunCruiser

Cheryl, I have the same question. The Normandy beaches 10 hour tour for CA and British spots is very detailed, and the US one has little detail or description. Anyone who has done this tour thru Avalon, we would love to hear your input and impression!

We were planning to take the optional Avalon afternoon excursion to Versailles, but read recently that crowds are horrible unless you get there first thing in the morning. Has anyone been on the excursion lately? If so, how were the crowds? We might go there on our own in the morning before we embark the boat.

agree about the crowds and herding. if time permits it maybe better in the morning. we have done the afternoon optional with Avalon and it was crowded many buses all trying to get in thru security and packed inside the buildings. the gardens were beautiful and could have spent a day looking around.

depends what you like some do not mind the crowds. we prefer to see things at our pace and not herded. but I understand it is difficult to avoid sometimes.

some much to see in Paris impossible to do it justice in a few hours/days. we have been many times and still there is much to see/experience.

the tours 2-3 hours really only offer a taste. still nice. we would love to see more of Normandy too it was delightful countryside but again it would require more time.

so many places so little time. enjoy your cruise.

agree but of course for some they only have 1 chance. I envy those who live relatively close to Europe, we enjoy the history and culture but its 24-30hrs by plane. when we visit we like to make the most of it in terms of time.

combining a cruise with land to maximise our experience. plus its nice just to relax sit in a café and watch the world go by.

I have been to Versailles twice, once at opening time and the next time about 2:30. The afternoon visit was a nightmare: people everywhere, tour buses having trouble finding places to park and being pushed through rooms without having time to look at all the beautiful items on display. If possible, go first thing when it opens.

Another beautiful place to visit is Monet's Garden - absolutely beautiful. We were there in early in August - it rained in the morning but by the time we arrived, the rain had stopped and the scenery, gardens etc were breathtaking.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Versailles is high on my list of places to visit, but I would be miserable being herded along with thousands of others and I think the time allotted by a tour wouldn't be enough to see the house and grounds in depth. Since we are only in Paris for a limited time, I guess we'll pass on Versailles. Will have to make another trip sometime! Thanks for the tip on the Chateau de Fontainbleau, may visit that as an alternative.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Versailles is high on my list of places to visit, but I would be miserable being herded along with thousands of others and I think the time allotted by a tour wouldn't be enough to see the house and grounds in depth. Since we are only in Paris for a limited time, I guess we'll pass on Versailles. Will have to make another trip sometime! Thanks for the tip on the Chateau de Fontainbleau, may visit that as an alternative.

An alternative can be to walk the incredible gardens and fountains. You don't need the tour, you can take the train.

Another beautiful place to visit is Monet's Garden - absolutely beautiful. We were there in early in August - it rained in the morning but by the time we arrived, the rain had stopped and the scenery, gardens etc were breathtaking.

Giverny, Monets gardens is a port on the Avalon cruise. No need to go independently.

Cheryl, I have the same question. The Normandy beaches 10 hour tour for CA and British spots is very detailed, and the US one has little detail or description. Anyone who has done this tour thru Avalon, we would love to hear your input and impression!

The day will bring you to the important sights to give you an overview of the pieces of the puzzle that made "the longest day" considering you are only in the region for several hours, not days. The tour guides are very knowledgeable and with the information they share along with remnants left on the beaches you are able to get an idea what the men went through. The last stop is the cemetery where you participate in a moving ceremony.

We had West Point graduates on our tour and they were pleased with the tour.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To answer the OP's question regarding "included" excursions.... We did the Avalon Rhine/Moselle last year and found the daily tours at the various ports of call very interesting and thorough. And, for the ones which you just walk into town from the ship, it's easy just to slip away and do your own thing if you want to. We loved all the included excursions.