Formal night on the MSC Fantasia

kevg1889

Can anyone tell me whether the formal night on the Fantasia is always on the same day, and if so what day is it? Just trying to plan ahead & having never cruised before we're not sure how it works. I've also read a few posts that mention a baked Alaska parade? Is this something that always happens?

Can anyone tell me whether the formal night on the Fantasia is always on the same day, and if so what day is it? Just trying to plan ahead & having never cruised before we're not sure how it works. I've also read a few posts that mention a baked Alaska parade? Is this something that always happens?

There are 2 not one. They are usually welcome gala dinner on second night and farewell gala second last night but that is from the mIn home port. People get on and off at different ports, so it may not work out that way for you, for example, you may have your farewell before the welcome one if you are getting on at another port.

We can't wait - its a whole new experience for us - I dont want to miss out on anything - do they always have an Italian night? I think I read somewhere that people dress up for these special theme nights, is this correct?

We can't wait - its a whole new experience for us - I dont want to miss out on anything - do they always have an Italian night? I think I read somewhere that people dress up for these special theme nights, is this correct?

Yes, in the mar almost everybody respected the themes, specially Gala and Formal nights. Then have fun taking pictures by the Swarovsky stairs on your fancy clothes :)

I was on a Fantasia 7 night in July. If i had worn my tux I would have been mistaken for staff. I saw only two other people in tuxes (and one otf hem was an under ten year old).@

My previous cruise on the Fantasia was a TA to Brazil and if I hadn't worn my tux I would have been the only one at the table not in a tux.

I find it impossible on how to decide.

Edited by canny_cruiser

I have just got back from our cruise on the Fantasia, they had two formal nights.

The level you dress up to is up to you. Many just wore smart jeans and a shirt. Others wore a full tux. Whatever you choose between these two levels will fit you in well with the rest on board.

A lot dressed up in the Italian colours on Italy night.

We went Barcelona, Marseille, Genoa, Naples, Messina, Valetta, Palma.

The cruise was great, a bit choppy between Valetta and Palma but other than that we really enjoyed it.

We tried all the bars and found something to enjoy in each of them. Most had pianos or singers and were nice background music. We stayed in the main Fantasia Bar as here we could people watch everyone on the different floors here taking their pictures with the Swakovski stairs. They are mostly on the same level so I'm sure you will find you favourite after walking around. The Fantasia seats were comfy though :)

The lifts were slow we found. However between the screen on the top deck and the indoor pool there are some doors which take you to two additional lifts which not many people use. We used this to get up and down quite a lot as these were not known by many guests. That's my top tip. Also top deck back of ship is a bar and small pool area. This is quite quiet if your after a bit of relaxation time up top. Enjoy

Hi Kev ............... I hope you have a fantastic cruise. Fantasia was my first MSC ship - I loved it so much I'm now a Black card holder in the loyalty programme. Have you signed up?

I envy you experiencing your first cruise. Finding your way around the ship, getting lost and never knowing which direction you're heading in (well, that was me, anyway :rolleyes:) Everything being new to you, from the fantastic theatre shows to the range of bars offering different entertainment - read the daily planner which will be left in your cabin every night for the next day's activities. It will give you the times and events of everything happening on the ship each day.

There are a number of themed nights: White night, Italian night and "Party" or 70s, 80s, 90s, nights as well as the two gala nights. It'll totally depend on the passengers on your cruise how well supported these nights will be. My experience has been that the "Party" night is the only night that nobody dresses for - the Entertainment team will have psychedic-type clothing with a 70s vibe going on. I remember on one cruise, the night AFTER the White night saw more people dressed in white than on the themed night! It was as if they'd got the notification 24 hours too late!!

Thanks guys we are both really excited its been something we've wanted to do for a long time but with my wife being a teacher we are restricted to school holidays & everything tends to double in price. My brother has done a couple of MSC ships but not the Fantasia - we are in a balcony cabin on the 13th floor !3115 - quite close to the lifts which I think could have advantages & disadvantages! Any thoughts?

I have signed up for the loyalty programme, but its early days points wise!! The itinerary is the same as ours ghockley but we are boarding at Marseille - I have done quite a bit of research on the Ports of Call, with only Valletta & Palma being ones where we may just walk around blindly! Great tips about the lift & pool bar - we'll look out for those

Thanks guys we are both really excited its been something we've wanted to do for a long time but with my wife being a teacher we are restricted to school holidays & everything tends to double in price. My brother has done a couple of MSC ships but not the Fantasia - we are in a balcony cabin on the 13th floor !3115 - quite close to the lifts which I think could have advantages & disadvantages! Any thoughts?

I have signed up for the loyalty programme, but its early days points wise!! The itinerary is the same as ours ghockley but we are boarding at Marseille - I have done quite a bit of research on the Ports of Call, with only Valletta & Palma being ones where we may just walk around blindly! Great tips about the lift & pool bar - we'll look out for those

I've been near to lifts a few times on MSC ships and to be honest there really isn't much of an issue.it is handier for getting around (although the central ones on the Fantasia can be a bit of a scrum at busy times (like before the start of dinner) but just walk forward or back to another set and the problem is solved.

I've never heard any noise from the lifts themselves (might be different in an inside backing directly on to them) but I've almost always been in a balcony. Only downside is you maybe get a bit more foot traffic going past your cabin than if you're further along the deck. I'm a bit of a night owl, so it has never kept me awake.