Stern cabins on Divina.

Andie7

I've always wanted to stay in a stern balcony cabin. Have got 9267 on Divina for a Transatlantic crossing on October 25th to The Carribean. Has anyone stayed there or similar? My sister is worried about lack of privacy and maybe too much movement. I think it will be a good size and I'm very excited. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

I've always wanted to stay in a stern balcony cabin. Have got 9267 on Divina for a Transatlantic crossing on October 25th to The Carribean. Has anyone stayed there or similar? My sister is worried about lack of privacy and maybe too much movement. I think it will be a good size and I'm very excited. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

The size of the balcony is not much bigger than a standard balcony. The big ones are on deck 10 and 11. They privacy shouldn't be much of an issue, as you obviously know your cabin is on the port corner of the stern, next to a staircase. In my experience the staircase was very seldom used by anyone. I used it to get photos of the stern balconies.

As for movement the deck is a relatively low deck so the movement will be less than the higher, more sought after because of the large balconies, decks.

There will be some movement and if it is really noticable then all the cabins on the ship will experience movement to some degree. Nowhere is safe from the movement that accompanies a significant swell, but saying that Divina is a LARGE ship and is very well stabilised, so it will take a large swell to induce significant movement.

Deck 9 balcony on the stern

Deck9%20aft_.jpg

Pete

Edited by Skier52

I always wanted to try a stern balcony too.

On my Fantasia cruise in 2012 I specifically booked one (at a cost of £££ to a mere balcony gty).

Yes, it was twice as big as a standard balcony but it got no sun as I was on an Italy to Brazil repositioning cruise so basically southbound.

It was also quite often flooded and unusable in the morning. The rear pool bar above used to flood their deck for cleaning which resulted in my flooding!

Won't ever book an MSC stern balcony again!

Edited by canny_cruiser

Canny Cruiser wrote:-

I always wanted to try a stern balcony too.

On my Fantasia cruise in 2012 I specifically booked one (at a cost of £££ to a mere balcong gty).

Yes, it was twice as big as a standard balcony but it got no sun as I was on an Italy to Brazil repositioning cruise so basically southbound.

It was also quite often flooded and unusable in the morning. The rear pool bar above used to flood their deck for cleaning which resulted in my flooding!

Won't ever book a stern balcony again!

I always check the orientaton of the itinerary so as to try and maximise the sun on our balcony. I look at sea days in particular, and take into acount whether it is a southern or northern hemisphere route.

I think the flooding is peculiar to MSC Fantasia class ships with their "Infinity Pools". I had a terrific cruise in the Caribbean in a suite on the stern of Norwegian Dawn.

You need to do your research properly when considering any balcony cabin.

I have specified a starboard side cabin for my TA from Barbados to Genoa on Orchestra next year.

If you do the above then stern cabins are great especially if you can get one of the larger balconies.

MSC must be one of the few cruise lines that don't put some of the best suites on the stern.

Edited by Skier52

Take deck 10 or 11 as the balconies are much bigger as Pete said.

I've had an aft balcony cabin and loved it. I was on deck 11 so had the extra-large balcony. However, it takes getting used to as there's a hum and more vibration than you'll get elsewhere and the ship shudders a lot at the aft when coming into or leaving port when they use the bow thrusters. It's a great place for sailaways! If you do decide to keep the cabin you may even bump into me in your hallway as I'm passing on my way to the exit door to the stairs for those great aft views and, almost private, deck area.

Have you joined the roll call?

Edited by Beamafar

Be aware that if the Divina rolls from side to side that the Patio doors will close on their own without warning (if you leave it open) in the Caribbean it should be less of a problem than it was on our T.A crossing to Miami.

The balcony will more than likely be wet every morning due to the window wash machine that cleans the Buffet windows because the water can only run one way and that is down.

As Pete mentioned the Divina did have the issue of water escaping from the Aft pool especially if it is filled to the top while in port and not part emptied before leaving.