Thinking of Trying MSC

cruisincorgi

Hello. I am a diehard NCL and Celebrity fan, but considering MSC Divina in February. I am considering it because the price and offer through my TA is quite good, and it fits my needs in terms of port, itinerary, etc - for a quick getaway with wife and daughter on college spring break. I also like trying new lines. Reading reviews, however, I am a bit reluctant. Any recent positive experiences with this ship? This line? Thank you

Hello. I am a diehard NCL and Celebrity fan, but considering MSC Divina in February. I am considering it because the price and offer through my TA is quite good, and it fits my needs in terms of port, itinerary, etc - for a quick getaway with wife and daughter on college spring break. I also like trying new lines. Reading reviews, however, I am a bit reluctant. Any recent positive experiences with this ship? This line? Thank you

No problems for us , we have been on the Divina 5x. You have to try for yourself and form your own opinions. This is what makes the world go around because we tried X once and will never go back, too boring and NCL nickle and dime you to death and there shows don't compare to MSC.

I also read all the reviews and decided we're GOING on our first MSC cruise in December - and we are determined we're going to love it. Reviews are just someone's opinion - so make sure and read the positive ones too, particularly on this forum, on the MSC Cruise board, you'll find lots of positive comments to consider. Just GO!

Please take the negative as a grain of salt, the Divina is a wonderful ship, with a great crew and we loved the food. As you can see I have a little cruising experience and the Divina was one of the BEST cruises we have been on. Find my review and pics! ENJOY!

Celebrity is our favourite cruise line but last year we thought we would "risk" MSC not on the Divina but on the Magnifica...POC and price the biggest draw. It certainly is a different experience not quite the "All singing All dancing" that we have experienced before on Celebrity and RCI but actually rather good. Food in the buffet was really good...plenty of choice and the salad/fresh fruit stations one of the best. We did AI so we had no problem with water and coffees not being included in the MDR...except at breakfast.

If you go with an open mind...consider the price you pay and the POC then give it a try....you may be pleasantly surprised. We must have thought they are ok because we have booked the exact same cruise next year but on the Splendida.

Hey SkyKing. Can you tell me what time the dinner seatings are on the Divina? Also, is there or is there not a children's water park/area? I have read a lot of conflicting information here.

This thread has the definitive answer about the kids pool/waterpark on Divina

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2252800

Pete

Edited by Skier52

For my opinion there is no cruise line as bad as NCL or as bored as Celebrity . I choose MSC :p But it's only my opinion.

This thread has opened our (RCCL, Celebrity and Princess) eyes to MSC as well! for those who have been on both Costa and MSC, how would you compare or rate them? [emoji41]

I had never problem with Costa ,last time cruised with them in 2006 so can not say how it is now. But I would rate MSC higher . Ships are beautiful , shows are great ,service is good .

My husband and I are considering trying MSC, as well, but my husband was told that the primary language is Italian. I just wanted to make sure that the announcements were in English, otherwise, we won't know what's going on.

We were looking to book on Divina, but for some reason, the Government Taxes are double the price, compared to the same itinerary on another cruise line, and we weren't sure as to why that would be.

Any clarifications would be greatly appreciated.

My husband and I are considering trying MSC, as well, but my husband was told that the primary language is Italian. I just wanted to make sure that the announcements were in English, otherwise, we won't know what's going on.

We were looking to book on Divina, but for some reason, the Government Taxes are double the price, compared to the same itinerary on another cruise line, and we weren't sure as to why that would be.

Any clarifications would be greatly appreciated.

All announcements will also be made in English as well as Italian

This thread has opened our (RCCL, Celebrity and Princess) eyes to MSC as well! for those who have been on both Costa and MSC, how would you compare or rate them? [emoji41]

Very similar.

Costa are better Landside with organisation. IMO, MSC ships are far more attractive especially compared to the Joe Farcus designed garish monstrosities that Costa have. Favolosa for example seemed to be trying to cram as many designs and colours into a single room as they can, yet despite that it still seems closed in and dingy in places. MDC is more elegant, muted colours, lots of use of highly polished metals, marble and natural wood and more open layout and generally a feeling of more light. Not all Costa ships are garish though. Atlantica was lovely.

Food is similar in style and type. MDC's buffets are open longer.

Most people that enjoy Costa will enjoy MSC. MSC is over the top Italian, especially on European sailings. Costa more an American take on Italian.

We are NCL platinum and decided to try the Divina last year. Excellent ship. More elegant than any NCL ship, and we have been on most of them. We missed Freestyle dining, but we dined most nights in the Yacht Club. MSC offers some excellent Yacht Club fares from time to time. If you can swing the Yacht Club fare, it is a great cruise experience.

We also went with college age daughter who benefited from MSC's attention to a gluten-free diet. Other than that, I don't much else overly positive to contribute. For travelers who want additional information on MSC, I suggest referring to the Better Business Bureau (search Miami BBB) rankings of cruise lines which, as of this date, ranks MSC with a grade of "F", and other cruise lines significantly better.

Give yourself the chance to discover something new and go for it! I was also terrified of all the bad reviews but i went for it anyway, Perception is a funny thing: My table in the MDR had 7 people and on the last day 3 people said they hated the cruise and the food and the other 4 (myself included) loved it! You see: same cruise, same food: different opinions.

Go check for yourself and have a wonderful time! I did :-) The proof is in my signature :D

We mainly cruise on Celebrity but we decided to MSC a try and loved it. Yes, they do things slightly different but we found it refreshing. It is not cookie cutter. If you a cruiser who does not sweat the small stuff, you will have lots of fun.

Many people do not deal with change well. Therefore, when the go on MSC, the get upset with the differences rather than celebrate them. Enjoy.

We mainly cruise on Celebrity but we decided to MSC a try and loved it. Yes, they do things slightly different but we found it refreshing. It is not cookie cutter. If you a cruiser who does not sweat the small stuff, you will have lots of fun.

Many people do not deal with change well. Therefore, when the go on MSC, the get upset with the differences rather than celebrate them. Enjoy.

Our complaint was not with MSC but the total lack of manners and courtesy shown by a good number of passengers. Basic etiquette such as lining up for a meal, at the bar for a drink or anywhere really, seemed to be an unknown quantity for alot of passengers. Add in the smoking everywhere, including right underneath the No Smoking signs made for a fairly trying week.

On Armonia, the cabin attendent was very good, the security staff were bored to the point of rudeness, the MDR staff were very good and the Concierge was perhaps the laziest most disinterested cruise employee Ive ever met.

But by far, it was our fellow passengers that could have ruined our cruise, but after 5 days of it, we made a game out of it by blocking people trying to cut into line, talking over them and outright ignoring them. Made for a fabulous last 2 days.

The buffet food was high class industrial, the MDR was quite good. It was quite possibly the worst "coffee" i ever had, unless youd like to pay 5$ (Cdn) for a cup in the Cafe San Marco.

The boat was beautiful, sadly, the passengers were, for a large part, not.

Our complaint was not with MSC but the total lack of manners and courtesy shown by a good number of passengers. Basic etiquette such as lining up for a meal, at the bar for a drink or anywhere really, seemed to be an unknown quantity for alot of passengers.

I think that etiquette is a cultural thing. So for you lining up is the proper way. For Italians this is not. The same with Chinese. They love to burp during meals. For us Western people this sounds disgusting and is not done but in Chinese etiquette this is the proper way to enjoy dinner. "Unfortunately" the rest of the world is not the same as Nort America, it differs and that is also with etiquette.

I think that etiquette is a cultural thing. So for you lining up is the proper way. For Italians this is not. The same with Chinese. They love to burp during meals. For us Western people this sounds disgusting and is not done but in Chinese etiquette this is the proper way to enjoy dinner. "Unfortunately" the rest of the world is not the same as Nort America, it differs and that is also with etiquette.

DB, We have traveled fairly extensively, but not always on cruise ships. I am quite aware that cultural norms are not consistent from country to country. IMHO, Smoking underneath a no smoking sign, by the kids pool and in a food line up is not a "cultural issue", its ignorant. Having staff that either cant do the job they are assigned to, or don't care about doing the job they are assigned to is not cultural, but a matter of poor training or poor management or possibly both.

I cant see myself on another MSC boat when there are so many more to choose from.

That is strictly my opinion of course...your mileage may vary.

DB, We have traveled fairly extensively, but not always on cruise ships. I am quite aware that cultural norms are not consistent from country to country. IMHO, Smoking underneath a no smoking sign, by the kids pool and in a food line up is not a "cultural issue", its ignorant. Having staff that either cant do the job they are assigned to, or don't care about doing the job they are assigned to is not cultural, but a matter of poor training or poor management or possibly both.

I cant see myself on another MSC boat when there are so many more to choose from.

That is strictly my opinion of course...your mileage may vary.

I agree on this but your comments about basic etiquette were about the queing and not about the rest.

We are NCL platinum and decided to try the Divina last year. Excellent ship. More elegant than any NCL ship, and we have been on most of them. We missed Freestyle dining, but we dined most nights in the Yacht Club. MSC offers some excellent Yacht Club fares from time to time. If you can swing the Yacht Club fare, it is a great cruise experience.

I was looking at the Divina today-the yacht club in particular. It was a brief, initial look but I was smitten. I don't suppose a solo cruiser can get a break on the yacht club fare?