Adventures on the High Seas, Aurora and Marbellina explore the Med

marbellina

We are very excited about our forthcoming cruise of 17 nights on the Aurora to Venice leaving 12th August. As with us all there was much discussion prior to booking as to whether we should book select or saver and which cabin grade. We plumped for saver with obc for a deluxe balcony booked in January, then went against all the best advice and followed closely the fluctuating prices. It came down by about £50 then went up a hundred then back down.....then back up, anyhow they are sold now and we are happy with the price paid. I’m now getting anxious that we won’t get our preferred second sitting on a large table, though I guess from reading the forums that this is the least popular option so fingers crossed. We have just had our cabin allocated which is fine as we had chosen a grade so knew it would be one of a few, and have been allocated 3pm boarding.

Our final task is to book any excursions so I am hoping a few of you can impart your words of wisdom here. Ports are Cadiz, Malta, Messina, Corfu, Dubrovnik, Venice and Gibraltar. Mr M loves nothing more than being herded around by somebody of great knowledge providing him with the full history of the place from the primordial soup onwards. I on the other hand love to sit in a pavement cafe and people watch, though am not adverse to an hour or two in a gallery or putting in effort in return for a magnificent vista. We usually compromise over the course of a holiday, though I am quite happy to be parked in a safe place with access to refreshments if my feet get the better of me. We have previously visited Dubrovnik and walked the walls so that is ticked off, I quite fancy just walking through the town and catching the cable car. We have spent a few days in Venice previously and top of my list are the Guggenheim museum and a Bellini. I’m quite partial to paying over the odds for a cocktail, the last one being a Singapore sling in Raffles (yes I know they have them pre made in gallons out the back). Mr M had a rather pinched expression throughout but indulged me. A beach transfer doesn’t appeal to either of us as we will get plenty of chance to lol around on the sea days, we are thinking of a trip to the top of Etna. Any suggestions?

When our ports are sorted I will come back to you good people for top tips on Aurora as its a new ship to us. By the way tag line to this posting is courtesy of Jasperado from my previous thread a few weeks ago.

I'm sorry to see that no-one has posted a reply to your request for info on your upcoming cruise on the Aurora. I was hoping for some good advice too, as we sail in September on the same cruise. As for tours, most of the destinations we seem able to just get off the ship and have a wander around, soaking up the atmosphere. Apart from the stops at Cadiz, where I'd like to do the P and O trip to Seville and in Sicily the trip to Taormina village.

I hope to read your review on your return, lots of detail please! Have a wonderful cruise.

We are very excited about our forthcoming cruise of 17 nights on the Aurora to Venice leaving 12th August. As with us all there was much discussion prior to booking as to whether we should book select or saver and which cabin grade. We plumped for saver with obc for a deluxe balcony booked in January, then went against all the best advice and followed closely the fluctuating prices. It came down by about £50 then went up a hundred then back down.....then back up, anyhow they are sold now and we are happy with the price paid. I’m now getting anxious that we won’t get our preferred second sitting on a large table, though I guess from reading the forums that this is the least popular option so fingers crossed. We have just had our cabin allocated which is fine as we had chosen a grade so knew it would be one of a few, and have been allocated 3pm boarding.

Our final task is to book any excursions so I am hoping a few of you can impart your words of wisdom here. Ports are Cadiz, Malta, Messina, Corfu, Dubrovnik, Venice and Gibraltar. Mr M loves nothing more than being herded around by somebody of great knowledge providing him with the full history of the place from the primordial soup onwards. I on the other hand love to sit in a pavement cafe and people watch, though am not adverse to an hour or two in a gallery or putting in effort in return for a magnificent vista. We usually compromise over the course of a holiday, though I am quite happy to be parked in a safe place with access to refreshments if my feet get the better of me. We have previously visited Dubrovnik and walked the walls so that is ticked off, I quite fancy just walking through the town and catching the cable car. We have spent a few days in Venice previously and top of my list are the Guggenheim museum and a Bellini. I’m quite partial to paying over the odds for a cocktail, the last one being a Singapore sling in Raffles (yes I know they have them pre made in gallons out the back). Mr M had a rather pinched expression throughout but indulged me. A beach transfer doesn’t appeal to either of us as we will get plenty of chance to lol around on the sea days, we are thinking of a trip to the top of Etna. Any suggestions?

When our ports are sorted I will come back to you good people for top tips on Aurora as its a new ship to us. By the way tag line to this posting is courtesy of Jasperado from my previous thread a few weeks ago.

We did a stop in Venice and did a ship excursion walking tour. We found it very interesting, even though some of it was in the pouring rain. You are provided with the whisper headsets, so did not have to stand 2 inches from the guide to hear them.

Saw bits o f Venice, that if we had tried doing on our own would have got lost...we always get lost.

GiB we just walk up to the shops. Have gone to the top of the rock..taxis pick up close by.i don't fancy fortifications, so shops it is.

Dubrovnik I was a bit disappointed the last time we went. Lots of lovely little shops the first time we visited. Last time they were all branches of multinationals.

Mobility and no head for heights meaning can't do the walls. I know we tried. To get off as early as possible as it got very very busy as the day wore on.

Messina....we just found it too busy. We did the noddy train, which took you round the edge of town, not the quaint inner bit, and spent most of its time in traffic jams, so not favourite stop.

Malta we did a ships tour to a town on the other side of the island. It was ok, but friends who did the same, but by bus, enjoyed theirs more..and it was cheaper.

Beside Arcadia Aurora is our other favourite ship. Very traditional with its tieredstern.

I hope you have a lovely cruise.Have you tried looking on the Europe Ports of Call page of Cruise Critic? I have found it very helpful in the past.

We visited Messina last year and can recommend the ships tour to Mt Etna and Taormina. It was quite tiring but included a lovely lunch.

Cadiz is quite nice to stroll around but if you haven t been to Seville you might want to consider a tour there.(We did Seville on your own which was enjoyable)

We have visited Venice previously so visited Murano and Burano which was good.

Corfu and Dubrovnik we did our own thing and we haven t visited Malta.

Have a great cruise:)

Re reading my post reads a bit depressing. However I would much rather be on a ship than anywhere else.

I think Messina is the one with the clock (look on you tube) We managed to miss that as well!!!

Make sure you are on the top deck for Venice sail in. Yes if you have a balcony you can stand there but its not the same, trust me. I got up before 6am, to go on the top deck, and to have the magic coming up out of the mist that morning is something that is still with me. You have the whole panorama thing. Wonderful and magical. You also get to see St Marks' square with nobody in it...which it most certainly will not be like when you next see it.

I don't think I have actually hated any port stops we have done..some are just more suited to me.

We loved wandering round Valetta (Malta). The sail in to that is pretty as well.

Hello Marbellina

Well, here we are and I am waiting with baited breath.

I have not been to any of your ports of call, but they are all on my hit list once I get the next two booked cruises out of the way...

hark at me.....pretentious..?? moi..?? :D

You have some serious research to get under your belt so that the anticipation of your cruise is heightened by knowledge.

As has been said before, go to the ports of call section to pick the learned brains of those who have lurked there before you and check out tripadvisor, but I personally find that the site is just full of adverts for hotels that you won't need.

Onwards and upwards, Marbellina, and tally ho!!

Regards Kathy

I’m quite partial to paying over the odds for a cocktail, the last one being a Singapore sling in Raffles (yes I know they have them pre made in gallons out the back)

I followed some advice I had received and asked for a Singapore sling in Raffles made with HENDRICKS Gin. They have to make that freshll for you

John

We went to Cadiz in June, and against my better judgement (hubby wanted to do it) we signed up for the P & O walking tour of Cadiz. Not sure about the Value for money bit, but I have to say We both found it very interesting and well worth doing. It was for 4 hours in the morning which then left us with the afternoon at leisure. It included a refreshment stop.

Thank you so much for your responses. We tried to book the trip to the summit of Etna with tripashore, by the time we had finished deliberating most of the ports were removed from their originally advertised trips so we have decided on the P&O trip to Taormina in Sicily. We haven't been to Dubrovnik for about ten years so after hearing what English lady had to say about how it's changed we have booked a trip to Cavtat which we have heard from others is lovely. Your post wasn’t depressing at all, your honest views, I will certainly give the noddy train (we like to call them wally trollies) a swerve, I don't fancy chancing getting caught in the traffic. Thanks for the tips about the sail in to Venice and Valetta, you are quite right the view from the deck will be better. I will check out the ports of call for more info. Mr M quite fancies the walking tour of Cadiz, I have managed to put him off so far though may have to reconsider after mysticalmother indicates it gives you the afternoon free, and if we get a morning slot we will won't have to suffer it in the afternoon heat. John, that is a top tip about Raffles, you never know I may be able to use it one day. Kathy, how very exciting to have two cruises ahead of you!

All other preparations are well under way, hairdressers booked for my cut n colour next week, nails the week after. Grabbed myself a bargain weird fish cardi at the outlet last week for the cooler days down to the med, that caught me or the first time we cruised.

In Malta, you can take the new Barrakka lift which takes you up to the town. It's located about 300 yards from the cruise terminal (you pass it as you sail in). It costs €1 to go up and free to come down.

http://www.visitmalta.com/en/upperbarrakkalift

A visit to St Johns co cathedral is worthwhile.

http://www.stjohnscocathedral.com

After that a visit to nearby Cafe Cordina is a must. It was established in 1837 and has a beautiful decor inside with paintings on the walls and ceiling. It looks expensive but in reality the prices are quite reasonable.

See menu on website below

http://www.caffecordina.com

Brian

In Malta, you can take the new Barrakka lift which takes you up to the town. It's located about 300 yards from the cruise terminal (you pass it as you sail in). It costs €1 to go up and free to come down.

http://www.visitmalta.com/en/upperbarrakkalift

A visit to St Johns co cathedral is worthwhile.

http://www.stjohnscocathedral.com

After that a visit to nearby Cafe Cordina is a must. It was established in 1837 and has a beautiful decor inside with paintings on the walls and ceiling. It looks expensive but in reality the prices are quite reasonable.

See menu on website below

http://www.caffecordina.com

Brian

Thanks Brian, a fancy cafe sounds like my sort of day, Mr M is always ready to spend time in a cathedral, that's us sorted.

Mr M quite fancies the walking tour of Cadiz, I have managed to put him off so far though may have to reconsider after mysticalmother indicates it gives you the afternoon free, and if we get a morning slot we will won't have to suffer it in the afternoon heat.

Unless a commentary is very important to you I would not bother booking an organised walking tour of Cadiz, as it is so very, very easy to do yourself and I'm sure if you bought a good guide book pre-departure it would tell you interesting facts. The local tourist office hand out maps as you disembark. There are 5 routes all round the town which are painted on to the ground in different colours. They intersect and sometimes run the same course, so you can easily do all of one, or mix and match. You pick them up right outside the port gates and it's about 5 mins walk to the heart of the town. One goes round the outside of the city, by the sea. Another goes through the merchants' quarter, etc. We were off the ship early (9-ish if memory serves). As it was a Sunday it was very quiet and the streets were freshly washed. Because the streets are narrow and the buildings tall they were in shade for much of the morning, so nice cool walking. If you go to the outdoor market there is stall selling churros and hot chocolate - all the locals are queuing up to get their Sunday breakfast. Shops started opening about 11, some gorgeous shoe/bag shops. We finished off the morning with a couple of beers in a big square near the port and were back on board for lunch. Loved Cadiz and would happily go back.

There are 5 routes all round the town which are painted on to the ground in different colours. They intersect and sometimes run the same course, so you can easily do all of one, or mix and match. You pick them up right outside the port gates and it's about 5 mins walk to the heart of the town. One goes round the outside of the city, by the sea. Another goes through the merchants' quarter, etc.

Hello groovechick,

thanks for the info about the tour routes in Cadiz, I took my favourite companion.....google pegman there a moment ago and indeed I could see the coloured lines painted on the ground. I think we will give that a go.

Thanks for all the top tips, I believe we have some sort of an itinerary arranged now. A week tomorrow and we will be on board, I must say I am looking forward to getting away from the rain we are having recently.

Anyhow, the plans are:

Cadiz - following the coloured walks marked on the ground around the city, possibility of hiring bikes (if I can find the place). I will probably be dragged up to the top of the cathedral to admire the view.

Malta - Up to ensure we see the sail in, then the local bus to Mdina back to Valetta for an wander and a visit to Cafe Cordina.

Scilly - Trip to Taormina

Corfu - Trip to see the palaces.

Dubrovnik - Cavtat

Venice - Up on deck for the sail in. Peggy Guggenheim museum, Harry's Bar (Mr M is most reluctant, but if I suggest Florian's he may capitulate) then a wander.

Gibraltar - off ship to stretch our legs.

The best laid plans usually go awry somewhere, I'm sure we be tempted by alternatives to the above.

ooh, and the best days of all - 9 sea days. I'm very excited about Aurora as we have never sailed on her before and plan to make best use of her. We love to give the prom deck several laps a day to earn our food, I have lost weight in advance........5 pounds, ah well. We have requested second sitting at dinner and will probably eat at the other dining venues a few times, let me know what you think of them. We have previously enjoyed the dance classes, we are pretty rubbish but overlook our flaws, so for the sake of others are hoping they aren't too packed. Mr M will attend lectures, afternoon musicians, shuffle board, etc etc whilst I will await his return to me with a suitable drink. So, any tips on where I should sit to enjoy the sunshine, I don't like to be around the pool and prefer a quiet spot out of the wind, where I can people watch discretely.

Off to sort out my wardrobe now.

• 2 weeks later...

For those that are interested I shall be posting a few thoughts throughout my holiday. I will only be posting on port days as we are not availing ourselves of the ships Wi-Fi.

Friday. - embarkation

We arrived at Mayflower at 3pm as instructed, the terminal seating area was empty and we were in our cabin 20 mins later, great. I will get the predictable gripes out of the way now. Arriving on ship at that time meant we missed out on many of the “show and tell" opportunities, we were allocated first sitting for dinner, annoying for us but we will make the best of it, however it meant we had a very limited amount of time to unpack, muster and change for dinner never mind enjoy a sailaway drink. I felt very frazzled by the time we joined our dinner companions and my makeup was sliding off my face, not a nice start to our hols. We were given a table for eight with one empty chair which made chatting a little awkward, if its there tomorrow and not likely to be taken I will ask for it to be removed. Our table mates are a very mixed group of ages and chattiness, I'm sure we will all get on very well, certainly nothing to alarm me on our first evening, we had already put in a request for a change to late sitting, but not holding out any hopes.

We are pleased with our cabin the only moan being that the tv is bolted in front of a lovely and potentially useful cabinet which makes it difficult to use, the tv picture is very poor, I believe Mr M is going to fiddle with it later in the hope of improving it.......watch this space. I was pleased to see that we were given robes and slippers, which I wasn’t expecting.

Right, that’s my moaning out of the way. Dinner on the first night was lovely, I had the plaice roulade which was quite a hefty piece of fish and very nice, Mr M had something with chips, requested more of the delightful morsels which arrived promptly and he was asked if he would like to put in an order for extra chips with all his meals, hmmm, he very nearly said yes. We enjoyed a couple of gin cocktails in the crows nest listening to the band before retiring to enjoy a limited display from the meteor shower.

Saturday – sea day

We took part in a mixed bag of activities, myself zumba (far too many people for the space, lets see who’s the last woman standing on day 16, it won’t be me) watercolour painting, snoozing on deck and afternoon tea, Mr M the photography class, lecture by Don Wales (nephew of Donald Cambell), and painting, we both fooled ourselves into believing that 6.4 times round the prom deck (2 miles will take care of afternoon tea). We missed salsa lessons as the time was changed, maybe tomorrow. Ahh, then to relax on our balcony as the sun had reached starboard. Isn’t that the best bit of a cruise holiday, just staring out to sea, listening to the whoosh of the wake, I never tIre of it.

We were offered second sitting for dinner from this evening which suits us better, so after the welcome on board cocktail party we joined our new table for eight, and are looking forward to getting to know them. Interestingly the captain, Wesley Dunlop told us this is his first journey to the med as a captain with P&O, he seemed most excited about the up coming ports of call. With both chose the Marco menu for dinner, asparagus with poached egg, broth, lobster (with mashed potato – odd??), and poached strawberries, yummy. We sat through the comedian Nicky Zany, he made good use of the many late comers throughout his act, then on to Phil Collins tribute with a Singapore sling, clocks forward so we lose an hour.

I am liking what I see so far of Aurora, there seems to be more deck space available for the number of passengers than on the larger ships, or maybe people are being polite and not reserving loungers they don’t need. We are already bumping into new acquaintances as we wander, I love those snatched conversations that build friendships. There are enough social venues to keep us amused, I haven’t scrutinised too closely but fixtures and fittings appear to be in good order, though there is a feint whiff of ....hmm, something quite rank in various places, I do hope it doesn’t gain strength.

The weather today has been warm with clear sunny skies, roof open on the midships pool. Bliss.

Sunday – sea day

Woken at 7.30 with our coffee order, how very civilised. I’m feeling under par today with a “pre existing condition” so missed breakfast and was placed in a sunny, quiet lounger enjoying the passing ocean whilst Mr M availed himself of his mornings activities of photo club, exercising and the continuing Campbell lecture. The high hazy cloud had frequent breaks making it lovely and warm, and threw slow moving silvery pools of light over the sea, a perfect accompaniment to the low tones of Cafe del Mar whispering in the one ear, (I’m too nosey to totally obliterate local sounds). Zumba class was cancelled today due to the space being used for a cookery demonstration, so I won’t fall behind with the moves. Feeling much improved after a light lunch we managed to track down the salsa class, enough people to make it fun but not too many to make it difficult. Alejandro made a fine job of breaking down the moves for the keen and incompetent (me). Mr M continued to run around the ship for the remainder of the afternoon with his copy of the Horizon and highlighted events whilst I enjoyed catching up with my Peter James novel and a cup of tea in the peace of the balcony. That’s the joy of a cruise holiday for us, we can both do as much (Mr M) or as little (myself) as we wish without the other feeling they have to compromise, well most of the time.

Looking forward to our first port day of Cadiz tomorrow, we have emergency shopping to do unfortunately as I managed to pack for a med cruise leaving at home my swimwear.

Hello Marbellina. Many thanks for sharing your thoughts about your cruise on the forum. My family and I enjoy cruising as there is something for everyone. Whilst hubby and daughter are running/in the gym I can wander/read/people watch.

I look forward to more posts as you cruise the med on lovely Aurora.

Amanda

Im loving this already Marbellina.

In fact we were standing on East Cowes sea front watching you pass by as we were waiting for the air display by a typhoon jet to close Cowes Week.

I waved, but at 7.00pm you were probably still a bit harassed!!

Enjoy your cruise

Kathy x

Ooh great, I thought I'd have to wait until you returned for a review, but now looking forward to your posts when you are in port. We are on the 18th September sailing, same itinerary, and our first P and O cruise. Keep posting and have a great time in Cadiz your first stop.

Monday – Cadiz

Well, the best laid plans never work out do they? It’s a saints day today so just like a bank holiday most of the independent shops were closed and the city was quiet when we arrived just before 10. The bike hire shop I had planned to use was closed, grrr, so we went for a wander following the marked trails on the floor. Delightfully we kept bumping into the main activity of the day in Cadiz which was a procession of musicians and people holding aloft a most elaborate (and heavy) statue of Mary and other religious type paraphernalia, candles etc. it really was quite a sight. We wandered around following coloured marked trails on the floor before stopping for a few plates of tapas and a beer in a back street, we speak no Spanish and waitress spoke no English but we managed to obtain delicious food. I did feel quite embarrassed as a Brit as a further two parties of Brits arrived also not speaking Spanish, they were all given the same food as ourselves which made me chuckle. Powered up we continued through Cadiz popping in various churches and the cathedral. Hurriedly passing the segway shop lest they catch our eye we noticed they also hired out electric bikes, result. €8 per hour saw us whizzing round to the castle, beaches and a multitude of impressive small parks. Early on I grabbed two swimming costumes off the racks as I didn't want to waste holiday time in a changing room, they both fitted, back home the same job would have taken at least a good morning.

Back on the ship we had booked the beach house and were looking forward to a different ambience. I had the lava cooked filet and Mr M an enormous pile of ribs, service was unhurried and attentive, food delicious. We chose to eat inside as there was a slight breeze, glad we did as half hour later the chairs were being blown over and the waiters swiftly moved everybody inside. The room was suddenly rather full with a large family gathering doing just what a family gathering does, the waiter came over to check we were ok with a rather apologetic look, what can you do its family ship. No we weren't muttering into our glass of red ( well maybe a little) we felt quite envious of them managing to get so many to commit to such a long and expensive holiday, special memories for them all. Our allotted gambling money made a small profit for first time, then on to Ngo Ngofo singing in the theatre, and what a divine vision and voice to end the day.

Smart casual this evening and there were plenty of people dressed in very fine clothing, some men in suits and a couple of ladies in long frocks looking lovely, one or two spotted in smart jeans. Passengers are a wide mix of ages, I can't imagine anyone feeling out of place, I'm sure there are lots of children on board but I'm not tripping over them.

Tuesday and Wednesdays– sea days

Oh dear, we seen have slipped into quite the routine of activities. Zumba, lectures, salsa, water colours to name a few, and we love it. Mr M was thrilled this morning to be accompanied by a pod of about 20 leaping dolphins on his 3 mile morning prom. I was told of a sighting of couple of breaching whales sailing past Portugal the other day. Mr M had a dip in the pool, a bit nippy for me but the warm waters of the Jacuzzi tempted me in. Tuesday was a little overcast in the morning but the decks filled up in the afternoon, and on Wednesday it was hot, hot, hot so we sought out the shade of the back deck bars in the afternoon playing cards and going crazy with the ginger beer.

Tuesday evening we ate in the main restaurant where they delivered the dregs of our bottle of Billi Billi from the beach house the previous night. I had fish again which was beautifully cooked. They continue to offer steak or salmon with chips etc every evening and Mr M followed the lead of others on our table and ordered a starter and soup, the waiters don’t bat an eyelid at any request. Wednesday evening we ate in Sindu, a £16 cover charge got us a seat next to the captain and his companion. I knew that Mr M was desperate to ask him something about the sail in to Valletta but a withered look from myself prevented him from doing so until his companion nipped out, he was more than generous in answering his query, no further communication was necessary thank goodness. I had scallops followed by a dish with lamb Rogan josh,chicken Korma and something fancy with cod, all divine, followed by some sort of deconstructed rhubarb dessert which was tasty but I wasn’t quite sure I had eaten it correctly..........., I used the spoon. They give you both amuse bouche and sorbet too which is that rather nice.

Valletta tomorrow, we have never been to Malta before so are most keen about this port.

Thank you for the most entertaining review, marbellina, you write beautifully. We are also on out first Aurora trip in December so I'm very much enjoying hearing about the ship activities and the food in particular. We have visited a number of the ports you are enjoying but as we never do the excursions I was unable to offer any advice. Malta is absolutely gorgeous, as usual we just wandered around the city but we really felt there was a great atmosphere of history in Valletta. I hope you enjoy it. I look forward to reading about the rest of the trip. [emoji1303][emoji3]

Thursday – Valletta

Up and on deck for the sail in to Valletta and it was so worth it, a bright sunny morning with the light bouncing off the stone buildings hewn out of the rock beneath. Red dome topped churches and swinging cranes vied for attention, beautiful, the decks were packed. I think it’s difficult to get a good spot for a sail in as the glass wind shields mar the forward view, we mused about the crows nest but opted for outside. We have been eating breakfast from the buffet on the outside terrace which has been working ok but decided on waited breakfast today and it was so nice just to have our food delivered. Then off ship and caught the €2 bus to Mdina, such a lovely place that could easily be over run with tourist shops, pavement cafes etc. We dropped in on one of the few touristy things, a film and walk through exhibition about the Maltese Knights, I can’t say I would recommend it, I won’t slag it off but just leave it there. Expansive views across the island from the walls, a two scoop ice cream, popped in the church then back on the bus to Valletta. The bus took 40 mins there and 30 back, we ran into several P&O tours round the city, we may have missed out on a little of the history but for €4 each after watching the port guide on the TV we felt we had the better option as we were able to walk round the winding streets alone. There's a ho-ho bus that goes to Mdina which may suit some, I would urge caution that the roads were rather busy and apparently always are so just check out how long the route is, we spent just over two hours in Mdina as Mr M was trying out his newly acquired photographic skills, I expect the tours do it in an hour or less.

As previously recommended we lunched in cafe cordina, which was delightful especially as the young waitress managed jolly banter with Mr M, then into the Cathedral which is probably one of the most ornate and lavishly decorated buildings I have been in. Photo opportunities abound from the upper barraka gardens, then the lift back down to the ship for the sail out which had uncluttered views from the back decks.

Our first time to Malta and it’s certainly somewhere we would like to return to, many more places left to see and Valletta certainly deserves closer inspection. Interestingly when speaking with our dinner companions none of them rated Malta, said it was barren, stony and wouldn't return. After such a busy day we both enjoyed the tranquillity of our balcony with our books and Mr M released the wine bag from its box to squeeze out another glass. The second box is now cooling.

Dinner was in the main restaurant, nothing that I can sing praise of tonight I'm afraid, I had Waldorf salad followed by lamb rump which were noteworthy only for being ordinary, I finished off with bread and butter pudding which seems to be a frequent offering, however it was delicious. Mr M had mussels, monkfish and baked apple which he declared acceptable.

We them listened to a female violinist famous from bgt apparently, she was most exuberant, sparkly and entertaining, back for a second show in a couple of days.

Apologies for typos, this is written on a tablet squinting in the sun. Messina tomorrow

Loving your posts marbellina - I feel like I am there with you. We had a couple of very happy land holidays in Malta when the children were little. Whilst I agree with your table companions that Malta as an island is barren and stony, we found the people to be friendly, the food excellent and the history fascinating. Some nice beaches too.

A busy few days and internet signal has been hit and miss. Apologies in advance for the long post to catch up.

Friday – Messina, Sicily

Much discussion with our morning coffee about what day it was, we both agreed it was Thursday, it’s great to lose track of time but if we are not careful we may miss a trip or dinner reservation, note to pay more attention.

In answer to Ehg regarding activities, they are many and varied. Golf, tennis, learn to play bridge and whist, water colours, various dancing, a multitude of exercise programmes, cookery demo, in house and external speakers, carpet bowls (on port days), shuffle board and quoit competitions, camera club, archery lessons, casino lessons, Spanish for beginners, quizzes, there is a fab cinema with up to date (ish) films, lady in the van was shown the other day, choir, lectures, bingo, some of them are clearly designed to grab your attention and pay dosh for extras but you can say no. Then there are the endless opportunities for lolling about with a coffee or cold drink and creating your own entertainment with books, puzzles, cards etc. The library must have the best seats on the ship, big a cosy looking out to sea in peace. There were a delightful group of teenagers in the crows nest the other day engrossed in a jigsaw puzzle, unfortunately they had to be moved for the water colour class. Swimming or the spa and gym, walking round the prom deck keeping an eye on the sea for anything of interest. I spend many a happy hour sat watching the sea diverted occasionally by my book or my favourite pastime people watching. I asked our table mates yesterday what they did on the last port day, they looked rather sheepish and said “lunch", no apology necessary really.

We took the transfer to Taormina today, the journey cuts through several long tunnels and has sea views for much of the way. Our local guide on the coach was almost incomprehensible due to her accent so we struggled to get the gist of the points of interest she imparted along the way. The town is highlighted as being very busy with tourists and it was, there are many high end shops and beautiful people abound. If you wish to purchase glitzy shoes or bags this is the place, plenty of cafes and restaurants, many with fine views. We walked to the ancient Greek theatre, which was a struggle in the stifling heat, one minute we were in the full glare of sun, the hot air trapped by the buildings, turn a corner and it was shady with a breeze. Entrance is €10 and you have to guide yourself using occasional notice boards, not that it's a complex building but for €10 I would expect a leaflet at least, hey feeling cheeky why not an audio guide. They also have the only public loos that we came across. We then sauntered down to the gardens which again have lovely views, but where there's a gain there’s a pain as we had to haul ourselves back up the incline, which is all it was in reality but the heat made it a little difficult. An enjoyable trip, glad we didn't choose to stay in port as our dinner companions said they were not impressed with Messina and felt it was run down. We ate from the grill for lunch on our return I had a hot dog, tasted as it should and Mr M had a few pieces of fried chicken which he commented were far nicer than KFC.

We had booked the beach house for dinner and were seated outside by the railings, mount Etna smoking as we turned the toe of Italy, and a glorious sunset, a world class view. We both had the coconut prawns to start which were lovely and crisp, Mr M had the lava rock steak and enjoyed it as much as I did the other day, I enjoyed the salmon. Desert was the most unappealing dish of food presented to me in a long time, to be fair I just read the headline “key lime cheesecake”. The bottom of the dish had a layer of finely ground digestive biscuit, topped with scoops of lime sorbet, there was a cube of meringue hidden, topped off with lime green fluid cheesecake type gunge worthy of Tiswas. I took a couple of spoons but the digestive powder felt like the cinnamon powder challenge (google it), I gave up. The waiter was most upset when I said it wasn’t to my taste and insisted he brought me a little something else, I felt like running but stayed the course, he brought strawberries and ice cream which I managed. Clocks forward.

Saturday – Corfu

We enjoy a buffet breakfast at the back of the ship on port days, an absolute treat. We had booked palaces of Corfu trip which took us to two locations and coffee and cake at a seaside restaurant. The guide was very knowledgeable and easy to understand, we were pleased with our choice, it was unhurried and most pleasant. We then had time for a few hours in Corfu town as we had a late sailaway. Again a new port for us and we very much warmed to Corfu. We wandered the myriad of streets collecting a few treasures along the way and stopped for a lazy lunch overlooking the park. I took a late siesta on our return and Mr M a large glass of wine on the balcony. We ate second sitting, I opted for the always available prawn cocktail and steak with chips, lazy I know but I enjoy it. Mr M had a white flat fish, new to us and the name escapes me, he enjoyed it. It was tropical night and we both wore garish clothes in honour, we wimped out of the deck party as it was far too breezy for me. We enjoyed a comedy magician in the theatre before music and cocktails in the crows nest. Clocks back.

Sunday – Dubrovnik

It’s a short stay all on board for 2.30. We chose the trip to Cavtat and Dubrovnik, it was all rather rushed, hot and busy. We left at 9.10, the journey is spectacular if nerve jangling as the bus hugged the cliff edge, there is a stop for photos, arrived Cavtat at 10.10 then spent twenty mins following the lollipop for the refreshment stop, bearing in mind we had to be back on the bus at 11.30, there were people with walking difficulties, all were annoyed. We ditched the refreshment stop and found our own in the harbour opposite several multi million pound yachts, then walked around the headland at quick pace to get back for the bus. Cavtat is a most delightful place, no busy road by the waters edge, an abundance of reasonably priced restaurants and adverts for evening music concerts, sun lounges perched on available flattish rocks next to the sea for hire, very chilled out, we decided we must return. The only fly in the ointment is that it's directly under the flight path. Then on to Dubrovnik for a 70 min stop, it was heaving and hot, a whirl around the streets, a few purchases from the market, ice cream then back on the coach. All very whistle stop, they could easily add an hour as we were in port at 7, Dubrovnik first whilst its quiet then on to Cavtat giving the opportunity to have lunch if desired.

We enjoyed a lovely lunch of veal and mushroom stroganoff with a glass of wine, by the pennant bar at the back of the ship in the shade. The deck party was in full swing, the views were absorbing. Another glass of wine. A lie down in the shade for myself and a violin and piano recital for Mr M. We greatly enjoyed our evening meal at second sitting. We both had guinea fowl in madera cream sauce served with broccoli, carrots and tartiflette potatoes, I had a blackcurrant panacotta type desert, all very yum. Feel I have eaten too much today. We watched the second show from Annaleisa Cheng, clearly very talented at playing the violin however her showman skills are still in the development stages.

A lightening storm was kicking up on the horizon as we took a turn around the prom deck.

Venice tomorrow, no trips booked, very excited I love Venice.

Monday , Venice

Our sleep was broken about 1am as we sailed into a squall, it really sounded like somebody was trying to break down the balcony doors, the winds were 90 knots and howled for quite a while, the ship tilted in defence and sailed on, we fell back asleep. The captain made an announcement about it in the morning, the weather wasn't forecast and the ship coped without issue.

Like the rest of the ship we were up in good time to view the entire sail in, firstly from our balcony with coffee then moved up to the decks for the panoramic vista. The air was crystal clear with good views of the Dolomites in the distance. We were crammed in jostling for space and decided it was all a little uncomfortable so moved to the crows nest, almost empty, we took centre window seats ordered coffee and sat there until we docked. We were rather pleased with our decision, but ssh, don’t tell too many people or I won’t get a seat next time. Docking took half hour longer than expected, 6 inches forward then back and a nudge with a tug put us in position, all on board was extended half an hour. Oh my goodness, dis-embarkation was a mess. One gangway for those with mobility issues another for the rest of the ship. We joined the already heaving queue snaking around corridors and up stairwells just as it was announced we could go ashore. A tour group somehow managed to push their way through. It took us 20 mins to get off. Looked like a family on the dock side with their luggage waiting to get on, I presume they missed the ship from Dubrovnik. We decided to use the people mover into Venice and the shuttle service back from St Marks. We hadn’t used it before and there was discussion at dinner the previous evening about how there can be a dreadful queue for the lifts, so we were a little apprehensive. No worries, straight on, lift, stairs or escalator and we were sat by a bridge on the canal having coffee 15 mins later, €1.50 person, no brainer really. The shuttle service was £8 per person each way for ALL passengers.

We ambled and wriggled our way through quiet streets and over bridges to the Peggy Guggenheim museum. An absolutely delightful two and a half hours were spent viewing the collection with the audio guide, many fine examples of modern paintings and sculpture. On emerging we had lunch of pasta next to a gondola station, perfect. We took a route that became busier and busier via the Rialto to St Marks, grabbing an ice cream. I had wanted to drop in Harry’s bar but time ran away with us, another day. The shuttle was calling. Hmm, another pickle ensued. Difficult to find as the girl with the P&O sign wandered around and the queues for other boats hid her, so we walked past her the first time. As we stepped on the pier the gangway was whipped away, no worries we were told it was only a five min wait. 30 mins later stood in the heat with a queue of uncomfortable people we caught the 4.30 last boat. Stories abound of over an hour wait for the shuttle in the morning, people were not happy, especially when they had parted with £32 a couple for the privilege. Had we known we would have caught the vaparetto back to the people mover, we know now. Anyhow, we really enjoyed a peaceful and relaxed visit to Venice.

We took seats with a glass of wine by the pennant bar for sailaway, nothing finer really. Though it would have been enhanced with some Italian classical music. Dinner was in Sindhu, I had the venison and Mr M plumped for the second variation of the atul speciality platter. Food was delicious, though I have to say mine was rather cool, service was attentive if a little slow, after two and a half hours I got a little fed up of the weird music on a loop, so decided to miss coffee. Straight to bed as we were exhausted.

Tuesday – sea day.

Apparently the family waiting to get on at Venice were in fact departing with another family at the request of the captain. Disagreement regarding a sun lounger which resulted in one bright spark deciding if he couldn’t have it nobody would and launched over the side of the ship. That will make a nice conversation sat in the economy flights seats back for them all, I do hope they don’t fight over the arm rest.

After five ports in a row we are ready for a relaxing day. I spent much of the morning reading in the crows nest and Mr M listened to the new speaker about second world war propaganda which he enjoyed. We booked the wine tasting session at midday today in the glass house. I thought we had missed it initially as the place was empty, but no we were ushered through to a secret dining area. Five healthy sized glasses later with accompanying tasty morsels and a PowerPoint we were experts. It was a fab way to spend an hour and a half of a cloudy day, £15 pp, great value. Needless to say much of the rest of the afternoon was spent recovering.

The third of four formal nights. Dinner at second sitting I had sea bream and Mr M had pollack, both delicious. Just realised they have three special deserts each day and four always the same, bread and butter pudding being one of them. We watched The Octaves in the Curzon theatre and very entertaining they were, a large crowd was eagerly awaiting them and joined in with gusto when requested. Rather sweetly an engineered lucky draw for a free CD brought to the stage a couple, the man then proposed to his partner in front of a packed house, it was a heart stopping moment, she said yes, much clapping followed.

Wednesday - sea day

Quite breezy today and warm so not an easy task to sit outdoors, though many managed to work on their tan ably assisted by giant plastic towel clips. We kept moving, shuffle board, walking the prom deck, coffee on the back decks, we listened to the talk about body language. Lunch in the main dining room of mushroom and spinach curry followed by spotted dick and custard, only on P&O! Discussion at dinner last night about the ever present topic of falling standards, we all agreed that there are obvious cuts, but prices are lower and the holiday is great value, we all just hope they don’t continue to drive prices pp down with cost cutting measures as it’s those little touches that can make the difference.

The wind gathered pace, the ship started to move a little, I needed a lie down with ginger tea after watercolour class. We booked the wine pairing meal in The Glass House, 6.30, £30 pp. Once again we were ushered through to the back room and enjoyed a fabulous meal paired with wine and entertaining conversation. The man in charge, Romeo brought us to attention with a tap of a glass and described the assembled plates of food and wine without once losing his charming smile. Very good value and delicious. On my return I shall try to post pics of the food for you. A clear night saw us trying to find an unlit space on the upper decks to view the celestial bodies, all we came across were young couples alarmed at our sudden arrival, and no dark spaces, safety I suppose. We retreated to our cabin and had the best view we could get after allowing our eyes time to adjust.

An excellent description. I'm glad that you are having such a good time.

"The library must have the best seats on the ship, big a cosy looking out to sea in peace."

That was good to hear. I haven't been on Aurora since her refit, which involved moving the library from its previous location on Deck 8, and had been concerned that it might now not be as nice as it used to be.