Ventura reviews

silversurf

There have been no reviews on the ship since May. Surely with all the thousands of people who have sailed on her since then someone would have taken the time to post a review.

We are booked to go in March next year and I've been looking nearly every day for a new review.

Hi Silversurfer

Perhaps no news is good news , we have cruised on Ventura a number of times and have always had a great cruise, we have always found the staff to be friendly and efficient.

Due to the fact that P&O have withdrawn Ventura from the Caribbean we now cruise on her sister ship Azura.

Have a great cruise onboard Ventura.

I was on the ship in June to the Greek islands, which was a great cruise.What disappointed me was the ship, she is looking very tired and in need of maintenance and a refit. My cabin was near the aft stairwell where 2 lifts were out of action for the first 4 days, with one lift all the cruise. I also saw other lifts out of action in other stairwells. For me this is unacceptable. One lift had no handrails for most of the cruise and still none at the end.

Furniture was looking grubby and worn, eg in the costa coffee area, very bad. Carpets look dirty and worn in places. Arms missing off the chairs in the arena theatre.

The toilet system was faulty for many at some point during the cruise, some got more OBC to compensate

Lucky for us the toilet system was ok, some funny sounds at time but ok. The engine problems on the way back, we were about 6 hours late getting into Gib, are these both signs of needing TLC.

I will avoid the venture till she has had a maintenance call and refit, pity because we do like the ship, the glasshouse was lovely, the small plates were great.

We just came back from Ventura last Friday and can definitely say we had a fantastic time. When I have time I will write a full review. There were 5 of us, one 17, 20 and 24 years plus myself and my husband. Yes the ship is getting on, but maintenance is on-going. I would say it was a ship for all if you want quiet there are plenty of areas and if you want to party and let your hair down there are areas for this.

A few things we overheard were:

A family on the second day, "this is just like butlins, we have booked already for next year".

An older lady in the lift, "what is on deck 15?", "buffet, pool and deck areas" I replied. She replied "oh I don't live in this area".

On the last day on disembarkation in the Arena Theatre, a couple and their son (around 14) "we have never been in here".

Another lady said "I won't be booking again on this cruise, there are far too many old people on board". Well there were over 120 teenagers onboard and she obviously didn't go up to the pool areas where there were plenty of younger people.

I am sure you will have a great time.

We got back on Friday and we too had a fantastic time. Crew were the best I have come across, from the Captain down over everyone said hello when passing. We did see lifts out of order but we also saw the lift engineer trying to fix them. We had a really bad storm one night but I didn't feel in any danger as the captain kept everyone informed. I am sure you will have a fantastic time.

We are booked to go in March next year and I've been looking nearly every day for a new review.

Is that the 7 March departure?

I returned to Ventura this year and did the Iberia and Morocco cruise with some friends who normally cruise with Cunard. I was dubious about going on Ventura as I didn't enjoy my previous cruise on her in 2010. However, we were so impressed that we decided to book the same cruise for 2017. We will probably look at doing a leisurely excursion to Rabat rather than remaining in Casablanca though.

Prior to my last cruise, my P&O cruises had mainly been on Arcadia and there were certainly fewer moans on Ventura than there were on Arcadia.

We got back on Friday and we too had a fantastic time. Crew were the best I have come across, from the Captain down over everyone said hello when passing. We did see lifts out of order but we also saw the lift engineer trying to fix them. We had a really bad storm one night but I didn't feel in any danger as the captain kept everyone informed. I am sure you will have a fantastic time.

Yes we thought the crew were brilliant. I think it helped that they all had time off in Barcelona on an overnight. Our waiter in the dining room certainly enjoyed himself, he told us he was drinking all night in Barcelona and got back on the ship at 7.30 a.m. to start work again at 8.30 a.m. (oh to be young again). Unfortunately our cabin steward wasn't the best we have had, although very helpful on our first day, finding one remaining suitcase, supplying extra coat-hangers, and finding my husband a smaller pillow. Apparently the ship had all new pillows on the previous cruise, he managed to find an older smaller one. He told us on the last day that it was his last day and he was going home so presumably that was why he wasn't particularly friendly/happy.

The storm after leaving Barcelona was quite hairy. Apparently one lady positioned herself in the muster station with her life-jacket on. Captain Terry did assure us that it was normal for the ship to keel over like it did, but we have never witnessed this before. We were on deck 10 and the sea water covered out balcony. Not a lot of sleep was had until about 3 a.m. when the storm was over. But saying that the Bay of Biscay was the smoothest we have ever experienced with lovely sunny weather.

Edited by mandylennon

Yes we thought the crew were brilliant. I think it helped that they all had time off in Barcelona on an overnight. Our waiter in the dining room certainly enjoyed himself, he told us he was drinking all night in Barcelona and got back on the ship at 7.30 a.m. to start work again at 8.30 a.m. (oh to be young again). Unfortunately our cabin steward wasn't the best we have had, although very helpful on our first day, finding one remaining suitcase, supplying extra coat-hangers, and finding my husband a smaller pillow. Apparently the ship had all new pillows on the previous cruise, he managed to find an older smaller one. He told us on the last day that it was his last day and he was going home so presumably that was why he wasn't particularly friendly/happy.

The storm after leaving Barcelona was quite hairy. Apparently one lady positioned herself in the muster station with her life-jacket on. Captain Terry did assure us that it was normal for the ship to keel over like it did, but we have never witnessed this before. We were on deck 10 and the sea water covered out balcony. Not a lot of sleep was had until about 3 a.m. when the storm was over. But saying that the Bay of Biscay was the smoothest we have ever experienced with lovely sunny weather.

Yes it was a bit scary but I took a seasickness tablet, along with a couple of glasses of wine and I was out for the count. Hubby on the other hand heard every deodorant can, toiletries etc falling of the cabinets. I think I would have been more scared sitting at the muster station than in bed. We were on port side so maybe not as bad as you.At least we can laugh about it now and hopefully will never experience anything like it again.

Thank you for all of your replies, very helpful. Yes it is the 7th March cruise. I've been to Morocco on tours as couple of times so thinking I will just wander around. Is cruise ship terminal close to the town, as I have walking problems?

Also thinking of seeing Cartagena on our own or should we take a ships tour? I can only walk for around five minutes without having to rest.

I was on the Ventura in May. The staff were excellent as was the entertainment. The ship was shabby in some areas particularly the corridor carpets which were tired and frayed in several areas. Our cabin was fine. There was a lot of maintenance going on mainly while the ship was in port which became intrusive.

Several lifts were out of action as they were when we were on Ventura in 2015. As it happened I shared a lift with the Captain and he told me that they had difficulty getting spares.

However we had a great holiday and as mentioned above you soon get used to any imperfections.

As for Morocco mentioned by SilverSurfer I would say the vast majority didn't get off the ship. Those of the several people I spoke to said never again as they were harassed and harangued by beggars and tinkers and felt unsafe.

Edited by whoops

• 1 month later...

I've just returned from a weekend cruise to Bruges on Ventura and I'm not very happy.

This is my forth cruise with P&O and my first and last short cruise.

The ship was full of Hen and Stag weekends.

We had used linen on our bed and the cabin carpets hadn't been vacuumed for a very long time. We didn't bother to mention the dirty carpets but we had the steward change the bedding.

From experience we know that if you go to breakfast on the departure morning the steward changes the bed for the next person. As we were suspicious we checked the linen for identifying marks and left for breakfast very early. When we returned the bed was all made up for the next person, but to our horror we noticed that the linen hadn't been changed.

This is a disgusting practice and I hope it's just a lazy steward but I'm not sure.

I currently have a complaint in with P&O.

I've just returned from a weekend cruise to Bruges on Ventura and I'm not very happy.

We had used linen on our bed and the cabin carpets hadn't been vacuumed for a very long time. We didn't bother to mention the dirty carpets but we had the steward change the bedding.

From experience we know that if you go to breakfast on the departure morning the steward changes the bed for the next person. As we were suspicious we checked the linen for identifying marks and left for breakfast very early. When we returned the bed was all made up for the next person, but to our horror we noticed that the linen hadn't been changed.

This is a disgusting practice and I hope it's just a lazy steward but I'm not sure.

No that's not good. I know the crew don't like the short mini breaks but I would certainly have brought the carpet situation to the cabin stewards attention. Bed linen is changed every 3 days. On our last cruise I told the steward not to worry about changing my sons bedding as he was having a lie in and I was told that he had to do it that day no matter what time he got to do it.

We are looking to go on a short break on Ventura and know from previous reports that there can be a lot of stags and hens and other party groups.

Unfortunately mini cruises are advertised as taster cruises and I do know people who have gone on to book longer cruises after, but I think on the whole they appeal to party groups paricularly as the price of drinks is about the same as british pubs.

Unfortunately mini cruises are advertised as taster cruises and I do know people who have gone on to book longer cruises after, but I think on the whole they appeal to party groups paricularly as the price of drinks is about the same as british pubs.

Yes it does seem very short sighted of them, I spoke to quite a few people who was using it as a taster. I even told them that cruises are not usually rowdy and the service is usually better.

That's useful to know about Morocco, thanks, Whoops. We've got stops in Morocco on two upcoming cruises and I must admit I had wondered about this, and whether we'd be better of staying aboard. Can't stand being hassled by beggars.

Edited by topster5

That's useful to know about Morocco, thanks, Whoops. We've got stops in Morocco on two upcoming cruises and I must admit I had wondered about this, and whether we'd be better of staying aboard. Can't stand being hassled by beggars.

Never saw any beggars there 2/3 years ago.

Casablanca is a very modern city with very high % of people in work. Certainly not what you would expect.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sorry, but I am a bit suspicious about this review to say the least! The insinuation that it is a practice not to change bed linen is absurd.

But just to reassure others.... I was on the same 2 night cruise and whereas I would agree that there were quite a few large partying groups on board who were obviously enjoying themselves, there was no offensive behaviour or antics whatsoever AND our room was very clean with pristine clean bed linen and towels etc. and well vacuumed carpets.

Edited by Scriv

Sorry, but I am a bit suspicious about this review to say the least! The insinuation that it is a practice not to change bed linen is absurd.

But just to reassure others.... I was on the same 2 night cruise and whereas I would agree that there were quite a few large partying groups on board who were obviously enjoying themselves, there was no offensive behaviour or antics whatsoever AND our room was very clean with pristine clean bed linen and towels etc. and well vacuumed carpets.

I'm very sorry that you are supicious about my review but I can assure you it's completely honest.

You must be aware that each steward has a set amount of rooms to clean and mine was a honest comment on how mine was, I was in cabin A718. I'm extremly pleased that your room was good and this makes me feel a bit happier about future bookings.

I never encountered any offensive behaviour either but I was woken up about 3am on both nights with drunken revellers running up and down the corridor.

I'm very sorry that you are supicious about my review but I can assure you it's completely honest.

You must be aware that each steward has a set amount of rooms to clean and mine was a honest comment on how mine was, I was in cabin A718. I'm extremly pleased that your room was good and this makes me feel a bit happier about future bookings.

I never encountered any offensive behaviour either but I was woken up about 3am on both nights with drunken revellers running up and down the corridor.

Hi Zandoni -

I am pretty confident to say it is certainly not practice to re use bed linen, so let's hope the issues of your room were due to a random one off error of your cabin steward's team. I assume you alerted Reception right at the beginning, so that they could put the problem right as a genuinely unchanged room is not acceptable?

I do agree about the revellers being very noisy though and do sympathise with you having them in nearby rooms. We heard them in the night too, but from further away :( I also have to say that this was the noisiest 2 nighter I have been on and I probably won't be doing many more as I do prefer a more peaceful experience.

Hope it hasn't put you off future - longer - cruises with P&O.

Hi Zandoni -

I am pretty confident to say it is certainly not practice to re use bed linen, so let's hope the issues of your room were due to a random one off error of your cabin steward's team. I assume you alerted Reception right at the beginning, so that they could put the problem right as a genuinely unchanged room is not acceptable?

I do agree about the revellers being very noisy though and do sympathise with you having them in nearby rooms. We heard them in the night too, but from further away :( I also have to say that this was the noisiest 2 nighter I have been on and I probably won't be doing many more as I do prefer a more peaceful experience.

Hope it hasn't put you off future - longer - cruises with P&O.

I do feel it was just my steward but I'm pretty confident it was deliberate.

We informed reception on departure because we didn't want the next occupant to sleep on our used sheets. They didn't seem too concerned though, so I do hope they done something about it.

I'll probably use P&O again as I do like to go from Southampton.

Just returned from a 6 day cruise. I have posted a full review with more detail in the review section. We had a good week. The ship, both cabin and public area's, are very clean and well maintained. Friendly efficient staff and good entertainment.

Enjoyed our week but sadly there was nothing standout on the Ventura - maybe we are getting picky after several cruises with different cruise lines.

Edited by Brynj

You don't say which ports in Morocco you are going to, but we stopped in Tangier in June this year and are so pleased we did NOT stay on board. We went on a P &O excursion which was well organised and interesting, we saw some lovely scenery and in the main we were not hassled at all, even in the medina and souk. Only at the very end , just as we exited the market did we encounter a few men selling things, but we had learned to say "la" - which means "no" in a very loud and firm voice and they left us alone. The presence of an official tour guide seems to be a deterrent. It seems such a shame to go to a different country and not experience what it has to offer. If still not sure, go and listen to the port talk, or watch it on your TV...

Some people who went ashore alone were inappropriately dressed - and we were all warned beforehand what not to wear - and did complain about being hassled. Well wearing skimpy tops and mini skirts / shorts is going to attract unwelcome attention in such a country Im afraid, whether we like it or not.