General Questions - first fly cruise to Barbados

leelooandgelf

Hello

We are flying out to Azura, in Barbados, this November. This is our first fly cruise so I would like to ask some general questions:

We are cruising the islands and wondered if we need to have any jabs? I have tried researching but answers are very vague.

Do we need to obtain a visa for The Dominican Republic?

We have booked premium economy seats and understand we will have use of the 'Posh' lounge at Gatwick. Is this true and if so is there a dress code?

Lastly can up you use American dollars on Martinique? Websites are saying euros?

Any advice will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance

I had no innoculations for the Caribbean. You can check the government NHS recommended status of each island. Remember you are on a cruise, visiting in the day and are not generally going to reside in swampy areas which is a consideration when considering jabs.

Regards John

Whilst there are no mandatory vaccinations required there are some advisory ones like hepatitis, tetanus etc. Book an appointment with your GP practice nurse and they will advise you based on your medical history and itinery. They have access to the latest information.

Brian

There is no mention of the "posh lounge" benefit on the P&O website.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/flights/upgrade_check

Note that any benefits provided on your P&O charter flight are determined by P&O and not the airline. As such they will be the same regardless of which airline is used. P&O normally use Thomson and Thomas Cook on Caribbean flights.

Brian

There is no mention of the "posh lounge" benefit on the P&O website.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/flights/upgrade_check

Note that any benefits provided on your P&O charter flight are determined by P&O and not the airline. As such they will be the same regardless of which airline is used. P&O normally use Thomson and Thomas Cook on Caribbean flights.

Brian

I concur; complimentary lounge access is not included, as it is a P&O charter flight. You will however get a great luggage allowance and fast-track through security. Hope that helps.

Don't know whether you realise leelooandgelf, but I believe that even though you have booked premium you will still have to pay extra to ensure that you have seats together.

You do this through your cruise personaliser I think about 12 weeks before you fly.

Rick.

Edited by rickpo

Hi Rick

Yes. We know about the seats situation. We are on watch for it to come up on the cruise personaliser.

Thanks for the information though. Always appreciate some one taking the time to help us out.

Cheers

I think it is 14 weeks before you fly to book your seats - this link shows dates for all the cruises at the bottom part of the doc.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/flights/seat_booker1

Insect repellant is a must, suggest one that has a high% of DEET. Although most mosquitoes bit at night some bit during the day. Sand flies are the main nuisance we have experienced especially following a rain shower. Remember you will be entering a Zika declared area so precautions are adviseable

I concur; complimentary lounge access is not included, as it is a P&O charter flight. You will however get a great luggage allowance and fast-track through security. Hope that helps.

I agree.

I had looked on Thomson website, prior to booking Premium from BHX in November, and they mention that lounge access is included, so quite happy to spend the 800. Never asked P&O when booking, but found out on a later phone call that, although I had paid the same extra cost as with Thomson, the lounge access was NOT included because it was classed as a P&O charter and not Thomson. So, with that in mind, I am not sure if we will receive the on board "extras" either. Can anybody clarify?

Don't know whether you realise leelooandgelf, but I believe that even though you have booked premium you will still have to pay extra to ensure that you have seats together.

You do this through your cruise personaliser I think about 12 weeks before you fly.

Rick.

Yep, £20 per person per flight :mad:

I've been to the Caribbean on cruises and land holidays and never had any jabs. Yes, mosquitoes can be a nuisance, but only found them so on our land holidays, not on cruises, but best to go prepared.

Also, very easy to book your own excursions in the Caribbean for a fraction of ship tours. Have a look at the forum for each of your destinations.

USD are accepted everywhere, but I haven't been to Martinique, so maybe somebody else can confirm.

So, with that in mind, I am not sure if we will receive the on board "extras" either. Can anybody clarify?

Click on link in my post #4 above. It tells you all the benefits you will receive.

Brian

I agree.

I had looked on Thomson website, prior to booking Premium from BHX in November, and they mention that lounge access is included, so quite happy to spend the 800. Never asked P&O when booking, but found out on a later phone call that, although I had paid the same extra cost as with Thomson, the lounge access was NOT included because it was classed as a P&O charter and not Thomson. So, with that in mind, I am not sure if we will receive the on board "extras" either. Can anybody clarify?

Hi, we always fly the Gatwick route, so I can only confirm what we receive via Gatwick - would presume all the same from B'ham. As follows:- dedicated check-in desks; fast track through departures (if B'ham have this and I'm sure they do); priority boarding (but you have to be vigilant due to queue-blocking at the gate); wider seats with extra legroom; complimentary drinks including wine/spirits (no bubbles though); warm flannel; amenity kits and newspapers (although these can be a bit hit-or-miss). Basically, as advertised by the carrier minus the lounge access, which of course you can book separately anyway. Hope that helps.

Hi, we always fly the Gatwick route, so I can only confirm what we receive via Gatwick - would presume all the same from B'ham. As follows:- dedicated check-in desks; fast track through departures (if B'ham have this and I'm sure they do); priority boarding (but you have to be vigilant due to queue-blocking at the gate); wider seats with extra legroom; complimentary drinks including wine/spirits (no bubbles though); warm flannel; amenity kits and newspapers (although these can be a bit hit-or-miss). Basically, as advertised by the carrier minus the lounge access, which of course you can book separately anyway. Hope that helps.

Thanks, basically as I had expected/hoped.

Having paid £800 for Premium, and £80 to sit together, I think I will give the lounge a miss.

Thanks, basically as I had expected/hoped.

Having paid £800 for Premium, and £80 to sit together, I think I will give the lounge a miss.

We have lounge access via our bank account. We have our annual travel insurance too. And car breakdown/recovery; and other bit and bobs such as gadget insurance. Substantially cheaper than buying each feature individually. Might be worth looking into?

Thank you for all your replies.

I can see what you mean about the lounge. Looking forward to the other benefits of premium economy.

I'm going to ask my GP about the jabs.

Happy cruising everyone

Hi,whenever we have booked thru Thomas Cook we always ask for "

freebies" and they normally give us the lounge.No particular dress code as long as you are not wearing a string vest and torn jeans lol.Help yourself to spirits,beers,wines etc and hot and cold snacks in a 2 1/2 hour slot.Dont get too drunk lol,cheers,Brian.

Just for info. Premier Eco. is £299 regardless of departure airport, but there is a surcharge to fly from Birmingham or Manchester of £100 per person, plus £20 each way per person to pick your seat.

Same for Glasgow, Cardiff or Bournemouth.

Base price no surcharge= Gatwick

Just for info. Premier Eco. is £299 regardless of departure airport, but there is a surcharge to fly from Birmingham or Manchester of £100 per person, plus £20 each way per person to pick your seat.

Same for Glasgow, Cardiff or Bournemouth.

Base price no surcharge= Gatwick

How can it be £299 regardless of airport, when its £399 from Birmingham and Manchester??

Surcharge or not, its £399 from BHX or MAN