Nasty life vest, naked dancers and water spouts! Carnival Destiny May 28

This is my review of Carnival Destiny May 28. 2009 sailing.

Other people may have been on this ship at the same time or prior and their experiences may have been different and thats ok.

My friend and I booked this cruise a couple of months ago. This was a four day from Miami. The original route was Key West and Cozumel. Due to the swine flu we were changed to Key West and Nassau.

Normally it is my policy to always fly in the day before but because of a schedule conflict at work we had to fly in the day of the cruise.

We were up at 230 and out of the door by 330 to drive to the airport. We have 3 airports that we use. Norfolk, Newport News and Richmond. This time we chose Richmond because of decent flight times to Ft Lauderdale. This is the farther of the 3 and takes about 45 minutes to get there.

We arrived at the airport only to find chaos at the Delta counter area. We had tried to check in online at Deltas website but kept getting an error. When we got to the Delta check in the agents insisted that EVERYONE must use the kiosk to check in. I tried to tell the woman I could not check in online. She didnt care. I tried to check in using Kiosk and still no luck. She then sent us to the check in counter. We did not have any luggage to check as we only packed carry on bags. We waited and waited in line. Two ladies were only putting on luggage tags for those that used the kiosk. One was checking in regular customers and one was only checking in first class medallion. Then one of the ladies working the floor decided we were in the wrong line and had to move. I gave her a strong look and said no I have waited long enough, I am next and will not move. This is where I was told to stand and this is where I am staying. Got checked in and off to security. Security is what it is. :rolleyes:

Boarding time 530 am. Flight time 6am. All was well and off to Miami we were going until we were number one for take off. :( We sat and sat for about 10 minutes. Finally the captain comes on and says......the aft thrusters were not working. These are the reverse thrusters that help the plane slow down once we land. Calling head quarters to see if pilots can fix it or have to call maintinence. Maint man shows up says he cant fix it. Captain says to us...well we dont need them anyway so the maint guy is going to just pull the plug on them and we will worry about it later.

I was in a panic the whole time! No way were we going to make our connection in Atlanta! Finally at 8am we were cleared for take off. Got to Atalanta and thanfully there was room on the 1130 flight to FLL. Landed in FLL after circling over the everglades and ocean for a half hour, at about 145. Thankfully we had no luggage to claim!

We made arrangements with SAS TRANSPORTATION. I had called from Atlanta to let them know we would be late. No problem they were waiting for us when we walked outside at FLL. Jeff was our driver and got us to MIA in less than half hour. I was a nervous wreck until we finally walked into the terminal to check in. Check in was somewhat fast and we made it onboard. It was a stormy day in Miami so that put a damper on sail away.

Anyway we went to the room to drop off our bags. We booked 2173 on deck two near the forward elevators. This is an OV. We were a bit weary at first as we usually have balconies. A 4 day cruise didnt justify a balcony this time. This room was quite large! plenty of room! The shower was bigger than we are used to.

Time to find the life vest. Found them. THESE WERE THE NASTIEST, DIRTIEST LIFE VEST I HAVE EVER SEEN! Sweat stains around the neck area and just plain dirty all over. Does anyone clean these things?

Drill was quick and painless.

Off to meet my new cruise critic friends. I found Ms. Paws right away with her silly hat. I met others too. Hot and humid and rainy. :(

***THIS IS IT FOR NOW***

More later.

I don' t usually get into the whole flame game, but "We sat and sat for about 10 minutes" ?? 10 minutes for any airline is pretty much normal ops in my book.

I have had a lot of the same type of service with many airline counter agents. Sorry you had such a bad experience...hopefully the cruise was better.

I don' t usually get into the whole flame game, but "We sat and sat for about 10 minutes" ?? 10 minutes for any airline is pretty much normal ops in my book.

10 minutes can seem like 10 hours when you're trying to make a tight connecting flight.

However, if you go back and read the rest of what the OP said, his flight time was supposed to be 6 AM and they were cleared for takeoff at 8 am.....so way more than 10 minutes. I think 10 minutes was how long they sat before the pilot came on and explained the problem. :)

I have had a lot of the same type of service with many airline counter agents. Sorry you had such a bad experience...hopefully the cruise was better.

I already explained my reasoning for flying in the same day. I was already nervous about doing so. When I say sat and sat for 10 minutes it may not seem much to you but for someone who is afraid to miss his connection and therefore his entire cruise it can seem like forever! We were number 1 for take off and we didnt go anywhere. The captain was saying nothing. What was I to think?

I am an experienced flier. I understand waiting in line for take off. In our case we were first and we were getting silence from the cockpit. I guess it is easy to say such things when you are not in the situation.

Also if you paying attention we still sat on the plane for 2 hours until we actually got into the air.

May all of your flights go perfect as they apparently always have.

Thanks.

The stress of flying in the same day... Yikes! LOL I am glad that you made it!

I had those same check-in problems with Delta in Tampa in November... Check in at the kiosk? That would've been fine if Delta hadn't changed us to an earlier flight without our knowledge... We were held up forever with no one wanting to help us and almost missed our flight! Luckily this was after our cruise and so we didn't care when we got home, really. I greatly dislike (ok, hate) Delta Airlines because of that situation.

Bring on the naked dancers!

Cheers!

Taters

i already explained my reasoning for flying in the same day. I was already nervous about doing so. When i say sat and sat for 10 minutes it may not seem much to you but for someone who is afraid to miss his connection and therefore his entire cruise it can seem like forever! We were number 1 for take off and we didnt go anywhere. The captain was saying nothing. What was i to think?

I am an experienced flier. I understand waiting in line for take off. In our case we were first and we were getting silence from the cockpit. I guess it is easy to say such things when you are not in the situation.

Also if you paying attention we still sat on the plane for 2 hours until we actually got into the air.

May all of your flights go perfect as they apparently always have.

Thanks.

when are you going to resume the review!!!!!!!!! We want more!!!!!!!

when are you going to resume the review!!!!!!!!! We want more!!!!!!!

LOL.

You will have to wait until after my nap.

LOL. I know an hours nap can seem like eternity! :D

Hopefully I wont get flamed for that. :o

More later this afternoon.

I promise.

LOL.

You will have to wait until after my nap.

LOL. I know an hours nap can seem like eternity! :D

Hopefully I wont get flamed for that. :o

More later this afternoon.

I promise.

So, now after complaining about having to sit and wait, you're going to make us do the same thing???? lol :rolleyes:

Kind of feels like watching the 11 o'clock news and all their teasers......Next up NAKED CARNIVAL DANCERS!....then the story finally airs at 11:29 and is only about 10 seconds long. Hopefully the story is a good one!

Time to find the life vest. Found them. THESE WERE THE NASTIEST' date=' DIRTIEST LIFE VEST I HAVE EVER SEEN! Sweat stains around the neck area and just plain dirty all over. Does anyone clean these things?

More later.[/quote']

They are usually pretty nasty -- not a fan of putting on those grimy vests.

I always grab a hand towel from the bathroom and wrap it around my neck before putting on the vest. ;)

Hmmm, still waiting for the rest of the story... I don't like the life jacket drill either, but it's a necessity. I guess there's no time to clean them since the ship doesn't really take any time off. Although, they could clean them while the ship is in port. It's not like we'll need them then. Oh well, those germs will just build up our immune systems. So, anyone who is on my cruise in August - get your hiney on down so I don't miss sailaway!

Archived