New Bomb in Rhine May 27, 2015

notamermaid

Unfortunately,

I need to let this thread re-emerge from the depths of cruise critic.

A bomb has been found in Cologne. The river is closed during the difusion today. 20.000 people have to leave their homes, offices. etc.

Affected are the districts Riehl and Mülheim, on opposite banks of the Rhine and the river section separating the two. It is downstream from the old town, i.e. where tourists are normally headed. The old town is not affected according to the map issued by the local authorities. The zoo is closed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32897388

Hope all goes well.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Thank you so much for all the info you post on Cruise Critic, Notamermaid. My husband and I go about two times a year to Europe, but we really love Germany. In fact so much taking German language lessons. We go on another river cruise in November and will visit with friends in Karlstadt am Main when the trip is over.

When we visited Verdun (site of huge WWI battle in 1916) we were told that when trees are cut down in the area that the sawdust contains mustard gas from WWI and it can still burn.

Everything went smoothly and the people have returned to their homes.

Thank you ingo_e and G.M.T., I had been wondering how many there might be in the ground still.

Twice so far, I have nearly been within an evacuation zone, i.e. my home has been away only about one kilometre and 500 metres, respectively.

When digging in Germany, especially in or near towns, building contractors are "afraid" of either finding Roman and/or Medieval ruins, skeletons of various ages or bombs. :eek:

It is very often one of the three.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Add to that list for example Great Crested Newts, Naterjack Toads, the odd snake, various bird species oh the list is endless. Mind you this does seem the time of year for bombs just had a couple in London. I'm waiting for the list of discoveries they have found building Cross Rail in London could be interesting. Maybe find another King under a car park.

Just unwinding before leaving. CA 🇬🇧