Cancel For Any Reason

SOShrink

I know there is a Trip Insurance discussion going but I decided to start a separate post about Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR). I have always had Trip Insurance but never added CFAR. We have a cruise booked for next April (1 year away)(Tulips) so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the extra $600 to add CFAR insurance. How exactly does it work and has anyone actually had to use it? Does it really mean that if I'm having a bad hair day before the trip I can cancel?

You need to book this coverage either at same time as booking (deposit) or within 14 days for outside insurance (CSA/Travel Guard or similar).

Cruise Critic has an entire board devoted to Travel Insurance, great info over there!

I know it needs to be purchased within 2 weeks like pre-existing but I still don't know the pros and cons of CFAR. I know we have discussed Trip Insurance for years on Cruise Critic. I have a good understanding of the various options and we have had excellent service from TripInsuranceStore.com. I was hoping to hear from those who have experienced the need for Cancel for any reason. I imagine one might need it if you go through a divorce, bankruptcy or some unforeseen event not covered by the trip cancellation or work related reasons coverage

On our upcoming AMA Rhone cruise, we got trip insurance direct from them. The cost for insurance on the 7-day cruise (including medical etc.) was $335 pp. Adding CFAR was only another $60 (that's sixty, NOT six hundred) pp. The downside in buying it from the vendor is that the payoff is a credit toward another cruise, not cash. But the price is right!

Some CFAR is exactly that. When we go to the Caribbean I purchase CFAR very reasonably and we have cancelled 24 hours before travel because the weather did not look good enough to make the trip. No paperwork, no questions asked and a full and fast refund.

With AMA, as our host Jazz stated, the optional CFAR is just $60 over the cost of their standard policy and you get a voucher good for 2 years in the amount your spent for the trip.

The devil is in the details with CFAR. Some only cover a percentage when not for a covered reason (Travel Insured is one of these).

I know there is a Trip Insurance discussion going but I decided to start a separate post about Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR). I have always had Trip Insurance but never added CFAR. We have a cruise booked for next April (1 year away)(Tulips) so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the extra $600 to add CFAR insurance. How exactly does it work and has anyone actually had to use it? Does it really mean that if I'm having a bad hair day before the trip I can cancel?

I used it to cancel a trip less than 2 weeks before departure because my military son was deploying and decided to get married before he went! I had no trouble getting a return of all I had paid, less the insurance premium, and at my request, asked that it be used to rebook the trip for following year which was done without any problem. I don't know if "bad hair day" would qualify because I did have to give a reason, although it wasn't questioned, but given the cost of the insurance, that would be a very expensive bad mood! :D

We have CFAR insurance for our upcoming Uniworld Egypt trip, from the cruise line. It's not straightforward, however. We have the usual policy for the usual cancellation reasons, but CFAR gives us rebooking rights on any other Uniworld cruise. Given the situation in Egypt I thought that was a good deal, but I realize it's a special case.

We have CFAR insurance for our upcoming Uniworld Egypt trip, from the cruise line. It's not straightforward, however. We have the usual policy for the usual cancellation reasons, but CFAR gives us rebooking rights on any other Uniworld cruise. Given the situation in Egypt I thought that was a good deal, but I realize it's a special case.

I hope your trip to Egypt goes off without a hitch.....it was a wonderful trip and I agree with the entire Middle East situation, CFAR is a prudent and sensible thing to do.

Thanks for all the feedback everybody. JVilleGal, I agree about Steve and the rest of the staff at TripInsuranceStore. I have used them for many trips and they are helpful and down to earth.

We always get that type of insurance. For us, we ended up having to get new flights a week before one of our cruises, because the airline we were going to use, was most likely going to be on strike. We thought about just cancelling the entire trip, but opted for getting the new flights, and things went smoothly. The insurance company ended up reimbursing us for the most expensive flights. Check your policy ... as they are all different.