Caribbean - Regatta - Nov ‘16

jakes47

We are planning to do a Montreal to Miami cruise in Oct ‘16 on the Regatta (our first ‘R” ship) and we’re now thinking we could do B2B and include a Miami to Miami Caribbean cruise from the 5th of November. The Caribbean has never been a consideration until now. Because of the various things we have heard and read, we have had this mental image of cruise ship traffic jams and the ports full, shoulder to shoulder with tourists queuing in the hot sticky heat. We come from Western Australia so “hot” is not a problem, “sticky” is not ideal - but it is a good opportunity to see as much as we can of that part of the world.

We really would appreciate some feedback from fellow Oceania cruisers.

Our posts of call will be:

San Juan, Puerto Rico

St John’s, Antigua

Fort de France, Martinique

Bridgetown, Barbados

St Georges, Grenada

Castries, Saint Lucia

Gustavia, St Barts

Thanks

Bev & Greg

Have been to Caribbean several times the only ports that we found over crowded on some trips were Cozumel, Grand Cayman (can be crowded or not)

St Thomas

I think you may be fine with those ports ;)

We wee on an Oceania cruise in November, 2014 that visited many of those ports.

I like to research a port and find our own ways to explore.

Sometimes a self-guided historical walking tour that I've compiled from several sources.

Sometimes a local tour company.

Sometimes negotiating with a cab driver at the port to take us where we want to go.

Once we get out of the immediate port area, we have not found crowds.

Check out the ports of call boards and join (or start) a roll call for your sailing.

You will probably be the only ship in port in St. Bart's, since that island tries to limit what comes into port. Even if there was another ship it would not be a really big mass market.

San Juan is of significant enough size that you won't notice cruise crowds...the same would apply to Bridgetown. Both are great ports, with some historical feel to them.

I love Grenada...a very lush, tropical island as is St. Lucia. Both are great island tour islands.

It's not on your itinerary, but last cruise we were in St Kitts on it's largest port day of the year - 4 ships, including one massive RCI ship. I was fearful of crowds, but to tell you the truth, we never really noticed them.

Edited by buggins0402

We have been to all of those ports...several times...since for us here in the US they are lot closer for us than for you!! :cool:

I say...go for it...you are flying a very long way...duh...and I think you can enjoy each of those ports...and yes...it might be hot and sticky...but from a Yank who was lucky enough to live in OZ for a year...and visit Perth a number of times...while living in Adelaide...I know you can handle it!! Enjoy!! Let us know what you decide!!! LuAnn

We are planning to do a Montreal to Miami cruise in Oct ‘16 on the Regatta (our first ‘R” ship) and we’re now thinking we could do B2B and include a Miami to Miami Caribbean cruise from the 5th of November. The Caribbean has never been a consideration until now. Because of the various things we have heard and read, we have had this mental image of cruise ship traffic jams and the ports full, shoulder to shoulder with tourists queuing in the hot sticky heat. We come from Western Australia so “hot” is not a problem, “sticky” is not ideal - but it is a good opportunity to see as much as we can of that part of the world.

San Juan, Puerto Rico

St John’s, Antigua

Bridgetown, Barbados

St Georges, Grenada

Castries, Saint Lucia

Gustavia, St Barts

Thanks

Bev & Greg

As has been stated the Ports of Call section is a very good resource to use for planning your cruise day in port.

I've been to 6 of the 7 on your list, some more than once. Here's my take,

San Juan, Puerto Rico, easily walkable if your ship ports in the old town area. Lot's of historical buildings, good restaurants, shopping and in general good sightseeing.

St John’s, Antigua I was there last fall, it's a fairly typical Caribbean island, slightly less poverty than some. I went on a tour to Nelson's Dockyards, and a couple of other interesting places. We got to see Eric Clapton's house from a distance. I enjoyed it.

Fort de France, Martinique, never been here

Bridgetown, Barbados, I've been here 3 or 4 times over the past 10 years, it's a very nice Island with lots to do, good beaches, golf courses, etc. We like to go to the eastern side to the Bathsheba area, which is at the Atlantic side. Barbados is the most eastern Island of the Caribbean chain.

St Georges, Grenada, been here twice, the town area is very crowded and dirty. We didn't care for it, although I've read that many people have taken tours there that they really enjoyed.

Castries, Saint Lucia, been here 3 or 4 times. It's another good Island to take a tour at. We enjoyed it.

Gustavia, St Barts, It's a French influenced Island with a lot of expensive shopping. We didn't leave the port town which is very nice with a lot of good restaurants.

There's a lot of poverty in the Caribbean. Many of the Islands tend to be the same. The big joke is that there is only one Island in the Caribbean and the cruise ships just go out and make a big circle and they change the name sign on the Island when you go back the next day. Not really true but there is a little bit of truth to it. Especially with the cruise line and retail influence of the port areas.

The best thing is it's warm there when it's cold in the States.

I concur with OPs that you should go for it. It's a nice mix of ports. I think you will enjoy it. Plus there is the added benefit of the discount for B2B cruises. I don't know if you get air included booking from Australia, but if you do, you will get some air credit for since you won't be doing 2 flights.

Thank you so much for all your input. The fact that so many of you keep returning to the area tells me it is worth seeing.

I had been to Ports of Call section on CC but always find a lot to sort though to find relevant information.

Our TA has quoted on the B2B cruises but told us there is no special offers on the “launch fares” including B2B discount and suggested we wait until after the 3Oth of June so now I have plenty of time to research.

Bev

We wee on an Oceania cruise in November, 2014 that visited many of those ports.

Andee - What was the weather and seas like on your cruise last November? I have just read that the Hurricane season goes to the end of November, which could be a deal breaker for us.:confused:

Andee - What was the weather and seas like on your cruise last November? I have just read that the Hurricane season goes to the end of November, which could be a deal breaker for us.:confused:

While the "official" hurricane season is June thru November or 1/2 of the whole year, have lived on the Gulf Coast for the past 28 years and once we reach the end of September, we have been in the clear without any hurricanes to speak of and if any were to crop up, they most probably would only be minor tropical storms as the water cools off enough by that time that it can't fuel major storms. You will be perfectly fine in November.

I agree that, although hurricane season technically lasts through November, it is not generally a problem in November.

DH gets seasick, but had no problems on this cruise.

We had enough rain in Tortola to discourage us from taking the ferry to Virgin Gorda and some short, but heavy, rains in Martinique.

San Juan, Puerto Rico

St John’s, Antigua

Bridgetown, Barbados

St Georges, Grenada

Castries, Saint Lucia

Gustavia, St Barts

Thanks

Bev & Greg

Hi jakes 74,

Check out http://www.cruisett.com for all ships in port on any giving day.

San Juan, Puerto Rico

St John’s, Antigua

Bridgetown, Barbados

St Georges, Grenada

Castries, Saint Lucia

Gustavia, St Barts

Thanks

Bev & Greg

San Juan: Visit one or both forts and the beautiful old town. Ships dock right there. We also went to the Bacardi Rum distillerie, free samples, tour ok. You don't see the real factory.

Antigua: Best tour will take you to the hills above Nelson's Dockyard, fantastic view, Nelson's Dockyard is interesting but crowded. Good beaches. Town is funky.

Martinique: French island, St. Pierre is interesting, was completely covered by the nearby volcano on whose lava field you'll find a rum distillery. Excellent French chocolates. Tropical.

Barbados, many tour options. Choose an excursion with a rum tasting.

Grenada, small spice island, tropical. Take tour or walk up to the fort. One of the poorest islands, still not recovered from a hurricane.

St. Lucia: Look at the Pitons and their drive-in volcano which is a sulphur field. Tropical.

St. Barts: It is a French island. Second homes of mill- and billionaires, nice beaches, small town, clean, super-expensive stores. Ship will tender. The harbor is only big enough for yachts.

While the ship is passing by Montserrat (neighbor of Antigua), look through binoculars to see its buried capital. Roofs sticking out. Ash from a volcanic eruption covered it in 1995.

Ends on 30 November but -- the tropical waves that generate the Atlantic storms is generally over in October. Most of the storms in Nov (if any) are along Mexico and the Gulf.

No guarantee on getting to St Barts. We are 0 for 3. Must tender and any small wave action will skip the port and likely dock in St. Maarten.

Edited by PaulMCO

We did a short cruise (not on O) first week in Nov last yr all was fine

we could not dock in Falmouth due to the seas but they got in to Montego bay so all was not lost

Hoping for the same calm seas this Nov :D

Lyn

We were in Caribbean in February. Great time. In Grenada we booked a Sunsation tour in advance for the two of us. They met us near the dock and we had a good time. Cheaper and better than ship tour. They will do things you personally request. Be sure to drive through the medical school and see where the war took place. I have read criticism of Grenada. I don't buy it. Grenada is very real, very authentic. Which means it is not pristine or rich. Go downtown and shop in some of the markets. Very educational. In Barbados, walk outside the ship terminal where there are many cabs parked and bargain with a nice English speaking driver for how ever many hours you want to tour. The driver will probably give you a great tour. Be sure to go to the east side of the island, Bathsheba and that area. Wild, quiet and beautiful. Wonderful beaches. Stop at a roadside cafe for lunch. John