FISHING in Bay of Islands

BillPizzaiolo

We need a place for cruisers to post about fishing while in port. We landed in Bay of Islands on board Marina this week. The boat we we booked on line met us at the tender docking pier. We had a great 6 hour fishing trip. Darren our Captain and guide was very instructive on the techniques to catch and land the three King Fish and one John Dory, we caught a few that were under 1 meter long that we threw back. We used live bait that we caught with lighter tackle. When we got back to the dock He filleted the fish and we had a party at the Pier Restaurant. I will post photos when I get time to down load them.

attachment.php?attachmentid=341819&stc=1&d=1425182532
We need a place for cruisers to post about fishing while in port. We landed in Bay of Islands on board Marina this week. The boat we we booked on line met us at the tender docking pier. We had a great 6 hour fishing trip. Darren our Captain and guide was very instructive on the techniques to catch and land the three King Fish and one John Dory, we caught a few that were under 1 meter long that we threw back. We used live bait that we caught with lighter tackle. When we got back to the dock He filleted the fish and we had a party at the Pier Restaurant. I will post photos when I get time to down load them.

image.jpg.d526853f665ad17e1535787b60cc8694.jpg

That's a nice fish Bill :)

Did you get to go through the Hole in The Rock as well?

Thanks. We didn't have to go that far out. We were able to see Marina all the while in the distance. We owe our successful catch and dinner to Anglers Anonymuos and their guide Darren.

Edited by BillPizzaiolo
typo

Thanks i looked there. Which one shall i use forBay of Islands or for Ports in Alaska, or South America etc? We have fished in afew ports so farand would like to learn about more places.

Alaska or South America? From the photo I assumed the King Fish you mentioned was a Spanish mackerel a.k.a. Kingfish and the Bay of Islands was the place in NZ.

Sounds like you had a great time!

Perhaps the best place for a general fishing thread is in the Floataway Lounge board under Cruise Conversations. Under Cruise Discussion there is only one specific activity so maybe Floataway would be a better choice. As an analogy there are cruise lines that do not have their own boards but fall under 'Other' and there are some on going threads that keep the topic alive. Not as good as its own board but a start. There might even be a thread there now. Floataway does have a lot of regular followers.

Edited by YoHoHo

We never saw any of you guys after this outing! Looks like you had a blast! Wish I could have been with you!:mad:

The glow worms in the cave was pretty neat and glad I saw them, but would rather had been fishing!

We never saw any of you guys after this outing! Looks like you had a blast! Wish I could have been with you!:mad:

The glow worms in the cave was pretty neat and glad I saw them, but would rather had been fishing!

It is hard to be everywhere and sometimes we are not in port long enough to do everything. If the tease visit in port is good enough we try to come back and spend more time. We are sorry that you couldn't fish with us.

Jeannie likes the boat ride on the fishing trips and enjoys catching the bait fish. We try to do it on most of our cruises where the fishing is good.

If anyone knows of good fishing locations near ports please let everyone know. We share tour information why not fishing guides too?

Bill

It is hard to be everywhere and sometimes we are not in port long enough to do everything. If the tease visit in port is good enough we try to come back and spend more time. We are sorry that you couldn't fish with us.

Jeannie likes the boat ride on the fishing trips and enjoys catching the bait fish. We try to do it on most of our cruises where the fishing is good.

If anyone knows of good fishing locations near ports please let everyone know. We share tour information why not fishing guides too?

Bill

I'm already researching if we can go fishing for the 2016 cruise in any of the ports. Seems like it's not a big thing but we both think that was the most fun we had for the whole month we were abroad so we'd love to set this up again. Doubt we could find something so perfect where we go ashore and they cook it up for us like they did in Bay of Islands but we can hope/research. :) We got home last night - you?

• 2 months later...

Hello. I'm researching fishing excursion for our next year's cruise aboard the Eclipse (southern Caribbean ports of Aruba, Barbados, St. Maartin, St. Kitts, Bonaire, Antigua, Curacao, St. Lucia). I've posted in our roll call looking for interested fishermen to join us for a 4 hour fishing trip.

We're from Minnesota (lots of fishing on lakes - no experience deep sea fishing).

Does anyone have any experience in these ports and/or recommendations?

Is it better further in the ocean vs near shore for wave action (don't want to get seasick)

Are there operators that offer trolling vs still fishing. (One interested party did not want to troll).

We will be leaving Miami April 3; any specific recommendations for fishing at this time of year?

Thanks for your assistance.

Melissa

Hello. I'm researching fishing excursion for our next year's cruise aboard the Eclipse (southern Caribbean ports of Aruba, Barbados, St. Maartin, St. Kitts, Bonaire, Antigua, Curacao, St. Lucia). I've posted in our roll call looking for interested fishermen to join us for a 4 hour fishing trip.

We're from Minnesota (lots of fishing on lakes - no experience deep sea fishing).

Does anyone have any experience in these ports and/or recommendations?

Is it better further in the ocean vs near shore for wave action (don't want to get seasick)

Are there operators that offer trolling vs still fishing. (One interested party did not want to troll).

We will be leaving Miami April 3; any specific recommendations for fishing at this time of year?

Thanks for your assistance.

Melissa

We have yet to charter in those waters. But it remains on our bucket list. I would do a Google search for 6 passenger charters in those ports for information and then contact the various operators. There are various seasons for different fish. Marlin, Tuna, Grouper, Red Snapper, Barracuda, etc. Trolling is good for some fish still fishing for others. Sorry, I couldn't be of more help than that. BTW we had a great time fishing in Bay of Islands (we were at anchor a few miles off shore) I have trolled off the NJ coast for Tuna and was very successful many times. Alaska for Salmon and trolled off the cost of Mexico.

Bill