Oceania vs Viking Oceans

sitraveler

There's a new player in ocean cruising, Viking Oceans and we're on its first voyage.

What I like

An included tour in every port

Wine or beer in dining venues

No children yet

Lots of other things

On the other hand

Crew falling over themselves to serve our whims and fancies

First voyage tweaks

I can't believe how much less the excursions are

Drinks are reasonably priced

Too hard to type on this device. I'm sure others will chime in

I am on the July 25 cruise and my experience with Viking to date has not been terrific. They are not communicators to the point you don't get any info. How is the food and dining options? Are the beds comfy?

Thanks.

I would think it is hard to make a comparison at this point as this is the first trip and like a shakedown trip. From what I have read it sounds more like AZ than Oceania.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

We are interested in learning more about this line.

We like ship size. We have seen sketches/photos and design is refreshing.

Right now itineraries are not interesting as they are fairly basic but perhaps with more ships in the pipeline itineraries will become more "exotic."

At this point for us it's all about the itineraries.

Included excursions are not a selling point for us, but may be for others.

Hope others who experience Viking Oceans will post here.

That thread is somewhat generic. Focus on ports too. The posters are not o regulars as far as we can tell

We would rather hear from Oceania regulars who share a similar frame of reference. We would like a point by point comparison eventually

Edited by bitob

I'm anxious for info on the food. Their River boat food was lacking and very uneven from day to day.

You are being very kind..In addition to bad food I found the favorite word on my Viking River Cruise to any question was NO..

Jancruz1

I would think it is hard to make a comparison at this point as this is the first trip and like a shakedown trip. From what I have read it sounds more like AZ than Oceania.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Yes. Mass market compared to Premium somewhat like apples to oranges.

Yes. Mass market compared to Premium somewhat like apples to oranges.

I have never been on a Viking trip however I got the impression the cruise ships were going to be same level as O & AZ

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

We don't believe az is close to Oceania on any level so that generality does not give us guidance.

The most useful information for us will come from seasoned Oceania cruisers who understand the o product and o passenger expectations

We can be patient

We don't believe az is close to Oceania on any level so that generality does not give us guidance.

The most useful information for us will come from seasoned Oceania cruisers who understand the o product and o passenger expectations

We can be patient

Having been on Viking River twice (twice to often) I cant see them competing with O..but certainly time could prove me wrong..

Jancruz1

Viking River boats in no way compare to O. We took advantage of a deal last summer for their two week Grand European trip. The food was so disappointing and uneven in quality. The very first night someone at our table actually said " well we know we are not on Oceania". Teeny tiny portions for dinner and the lunch pasta and salad bar were too repetitive. Simple things like baked potato or rice not available, few fresh vegetables. The fruit I kept seeing was Apple. One night they had a fun German evening and served the most delicious German roast beef. However they did not have enough for everyone, one third of the tables got none. Their always available entrees were bad, grisly steak and the strangest chicken consistency. The chicken must have gone directly from freezer to microwave.,

But there are people who swear by the Viking food. I would possibly sail with them again if I got a killer price, otherwise not.

Edited by sammiedawg

Viking River boats in no way compare to O. We took advantage of a deal last summer for their two week Grand European trip. The food was so disappointing and uneven in quality. The very first night someone at our table actually said " well we know we are not on Oceania". Teeny tiny portions for dinner and the lunch pasta and salad bar were too repetitive. Simple things like baked potato or rice not available, few fresh vegetables. The fruit I kept seeing was Apple. One night they had a fun German evening and served the most delicious German roast beef. However they did not have enough for everyone, one third of the tables got none. Their always available entrees were bad, grisly steak and the strangest chicken consistency. The chicken must have gone directly from freezer to microwave.,

But there are people who swear by the Viking food. I would possibly sail with them again if I got a killer price, otherwise not.

We took a Viking River cruise some years ago - and I thought the food was quite OK especially given the size of the galley in which it was cooked. What I didn't appreciate about them was being put on the wrong boat! They had two boats on the same itinerary and I booked one specifically because I liked the layout etc. When we boarded the purser sent us to the other boat and said he had no room on his boat. I told the Cruise Director on the second boat that I would not put up with this and that if things were not sorted by the time we arrived at Melk I would leave the boat. I told my TA in Zürich the same thing when the office opened at 0830 on the Monday morning (day we got to Melk). Within an hour she had arranged a transfer for us from the one boat to the other which was done at Melk and lo! the Purser found that he had two rooms available. What a miracle!!! (Not!) So I do not trust them. Not at all.

I read a news report that compared Viking Star to O and AZ. When reading the trip reports seems like its being run like a river boat. They posted some menu's. Room service was great for all cabins however the dinner seemed rather limited. They have all three ships doing the same med and north Europe trips, seems not too interesting. The reports say the ship has a poor ride, maybe it can not do a TA to come to NA.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Edited by hypercafe

Having been on Viking River twice (twice to often) I cant see them competing with O..but certainly time could prove me wrong..

Jancruz1

I am with Jan - One Viking River cruise was enough to sour my outlook on their Ocean line. More like a Royal Caribbean experience than an Oceania experience. We were never doing a river cruise again after our experience until we did a Tauck River Cruise.

Example was the excursion to the Black Forest. AKA to the Cuckoo Clock Factory excursion. Two hour ride. What Black Forest? Two Hour ride back after being held captive at the Clock Factory - supposedly owned by them. Black Forest Cake Tasting $10 pp.

Example Two: Asked Cruise director on boarding what would happen if river level low during cruise - told no issue. Day three - told to go pack our rooms for change of ship after LONG bus ride and the most inedible meal ever of packaged mashed potatoes, frozen peas and mystery meat. We left restaurant. No way was it not preplanned for us to leave. If they told us there was a chance - we would not have unpacked making extra work. No way is that luxury. No way is it middle of the road.

Cannot see how people can compare a river cruise to an Ocean cruise :confused:

Waiting for Lou & Marsha to come back with their review of the Viking ocean going ship

You cant Lyn but this is the first time in my memory that a river cruse line started an Ocean

cruise line so it will be interesting..

Jancruz1

I am with Jan - One Viking River cruise was enough to sour my outlook on their Ocean line. More like a Royal Caribbean experience than an Oceania experience. We were never doing a river cruise again after our experience until we did a Tauck River Cruise.

Example was the excursion to the Black Forest. AKA to the Cuckoo Clock Factory excursion. Two hour ride. What Black Forest? Two Hour ride back after being held captive at the Clock Factory - supposedly owned by them. Black Forest Cake Tasting $10 pp.

Example Two: Asked Cruise director on boarding what would happen if river level low during cruise - told no issue. Day three - told to go pack our rooms for change of ship after LONG bus ride and the most inedible meal ever of packaged mashed potatoes, frozen peas and mystery meat. We left restaurant. No way was it not preplanned for us to leave. If they told us there was a chance - we would not have unpacked making extra work. No way is that luxury. No way is it middle of the road.

Chatcat for an O experience in a river boat try AMA..great river line!!

Jancruz1

Chatcat for an O experience in a river boat try AMA..great river line!!

Jancruz1

Thanks, Jan. We did Tauck's Prague to Budapest - fabulous. We have been Tauck travelers for some time - we love their experience and quality. While we have no plans for another river cruise at the moment, we'd look first to another Tauck experience. It's perfect for us.