Library Turnaround Selection

plimsol

We do b2b or sometimes b2b2b cruises, which gives us opportunity to read books which we seldom do at home. Having completed three b2b/b2b2b cruises (127 days) on Marina since November 2013, we found it difficult to find new books of interested for us. We have booked another b2b cruise for this November and wonder if the library selection is updated on a regular basis or should we bring our own? We prefer paper books over electronic (eg. Kindle).

Our apologies if this query has been addressed before.

We always had to check luggage on long cruises or trips because of the weight of all the books. Now it's a Fire 7HDX and a Kindle and we go carry on. If you insist on bring books you can use the book exchange in the library for more as your cruse progresses. We never found that they updated the library even on cruises several months apart, same book selection.

We usually come with a few paper backs of our own and then use the book exchange to leave them and get new ones. We usually find a fairly good selection in that section. Best to try early and late in the cruise (as passengers embark and after they disembark on your B2B).

I agree on the book exchange though much easier to find them on the R ships

I did find quite a few in the card room on the O class ships so check there as well

I am not fond of the library on the O class ships ..too dark not organized well IMO

I found in the card room as mentioned...and there were a number of shelves which did not have the glass windows...below those with the glass...that also had books...which many people didn't see/know were there! I suggested to the staff person the day prior to the disembarkation after the T/A that they might want to move more of the games together on some of the shelves so that more books could be displayed. LuAnn

I agree on the book exchange though much easier to find them on the R ships

I did find quite a few in the card room on the O class ships so check there as well

I am not fond of the library on the O class ships ..too dark not organized well IMO

i dislike the placement of easy chairs in the O class libraries, right in front of the glass doors. Browsing is difficult.

i dislike the placement of easy chairs in the O class libraries, right in front of the glass doors. Browsing is difficult.

When the Marina first came out there were so many complaints about this...as well as all our fellow sleeping passengers using the "reading" chairs...TBH...I gave up on using the library for these reasons!! And it's not much better in the "card room"...as there are 4 tables with 4 chairs each crammed into that tiny room...so those passengers looking for "exchange books" there had to climb over us playing Mah Jongg there!! Oh well..I'm sure the card room doesn't get a lot of use on most O cruises...as there are so many ports compared to a T/A!! LuAnn

Save your books or go the Half Price books and buy a ton of them, send to Oceania. They'll get loaded to O's libraries. We have done that, and a year or so later, we have found them in the library.

Books for the various countries and similar are great. We used to use them for the trivia questionnaires.

Grace! ..please! ..get a tablet and bring 100 books in your handbag! :p

Ron,

I knew you would jump in, Ron, and reveal my name - lol. Enjoyed your company on a previous Marina cruise and your CC M&G leadership.

Thanks to the many that have responded with alternative suggestions. Yes, on our previous cruises, we found a selection of books in the card room. And yes again, we find the layout of the chairs in front of the glass book cases on the O class ships very obstructive. Also, passengers fall asleep with their legs extended on the built-in sofas/couches in the corridor along the library from Baristas to the elevators. I necessitate the use of a cane and I find that hazardous and cause for tripping.

Edited by plimsol

Good to run into to you here... ;)

Seriously, if you haven't looked at them recently...tablets in general have improved immensely since the first Kindle.

And you don't need a kindle to have Amazon books... you can use any manufacturer's tablet.

Angela has a 7" Lenovo tablet that never leaves her side.

We got started with Nooks instead of Kindle, because we regularly used Barnes & Noble as a reading room on Friday nights and were familiar with them. Also, the early Nooks had a few technical advantages over the Kindle.

Today, our Nook machines sit gathering dust because I have the Nook App on my Samsung 7" tablet, and Betsy has the Nook App on her iPad. We could equally have Kindle apps side by side with the Nook apps.

We signed up with an email service called http://bookbub.com which sends us a selection of Ebooks in an email every day. We selected favorite genres to be highlighted; mine happen to be historical fiction and biographies. The selections never cost more than $2.99, many are $0.99 and some are Free. I don't select something every day, but I have downloaded over 500 books in my library. I also have several favorite authors that I keep up to date with their latest episodes. I have the same app on my Windows Surface Pro 3 and my Android phone, all access the same library (and some even keep up with which page I'm reading in which book) so I can read something virtually anywhere. Essentially, I have over 500 books that all fit in my pocket.

I own hundreds of have "real" books, but they are now gathering dust on my book shelves or packed in boxes. If I was not a "string saver", I'd get rid of them. It took me a while to adapt to eBooks, but now I'm totally converted. I even have many of my "real" books now in my eBook library in case I want to read them again.

Just got off the Marina in Callao and while almost everything about the ship is superb, sadly the library is not -difficult layout and after four months in the South Pacific, not much of a selection. Do yourself a favor and bring your own reading material in whatever form suits you. (But e-readers are the ticket :))

I want to add that we generally do head for the library and get a book each -- actually, almost any book, because we find that leaving a book on the table is the best way to be certain we don't lose our table in the Terrace or Waves. In the event it doesn't work, we prefer that it's an Oceania book rather than our own.

We got started with Nooks instead of Kindle, because we regularly used Barnes & Noble as a reading room on Friday nights and were familiar with them. Also, the early Nooks had a few technical advantages over the Kindle.

Today, our Nook machines sit gathering dust because I have the Nook App on my Samsung 7" tablet, and Betsy has the Nook App on her iPad. We could equally have Kindle apps side by side with the Nook apps.

We signed up with an email service called http://bookbub.com which sends us a selection of Ebooks in an email every day. We selected favorite genres to be highlighted; mine happen to be historical fiction and biographies. The selections never cost more than $2.99, many are $0.99 and some are Free. I don't select something every day, but I have downloaded over 500 books in my library. I also have several favorite authors that I keep up to date with their latest episodes. I have the same app on my Windows Surface Pro 3 and my Android phone, all access the same library (and some even keep up with which page I'm reading in which book) so I can read something virtually anywhere. Essentially, I have over 500 books that all fit in my pocket.

I own hundreds of have "real" books, but they are now gathering dust on my book shelves or packed in boxes. If I was not a "string saver", I'd get rid of them. It took me a while to adapt to eBooks, but now I'm totally converted. I even have many of my "real" books now in my eBook library in case I want to read them again.

Don, I donated all of my books to the local hospital and they were so appreciative..I love my Ipad on which I have my kindle..it saves carrying two pieces of electronics..

Love to Betsy,

Jancruz1 and Stu

Don, thanks for the tip on "Bookbud". I'm going to give it a try. I did a little research on them and found that they have some sort of a screening process that requires reviews on the host web site (Amazon/B&N) but also require a fee from the author to be listed (reportedly $520 for a $2 book). Indie authors generally seem to be satisfied with their profits; Reader reviews vary. It looks like you still have to do your own assessment based on your personal tastes and interests. But, this service gives you lots more to consider.:)

On the other point - I am firmly convinced that the Kindle Paperwhite is the best pure reading machine ever invented. I have tried to read on tablets, iPads and a Samsung phone and become frustrated with all of them. Washout in bright light and screen glare and reflections as well as short battery life all bother me pretty quickly. If you are able to read on these devices you are a better (more tolerant/less demanding :D) reader than I am. The Paperwhite suffers from none of these defaults. Another kindle feature I like is the ability to switch easily from one book to another and return to my place. I tend to have 2 or 3 books in progress at any time depending on my mood. The lighted screen lets me read in bed without disturbing my wife and also gives enough light to find my way to the bathroom ;).

Finally, I concur with everyone that the library setup on Marina and Riviera sucks :eek:

Regards, Robbie

I want to add that we generally do head for the library and get a book each -- actually, almost any book, because we find that leaving a book on the table is the best way to be certain we don't lose our table in the Terrace or Waves. In the event it doesn't work, we prefer that it's an Oceania book rather than our own.

Which doesn't use a book...just take your napkin and drape it over the back of the chair...that is supposed to mean the chair is taken!! :cool: LuAnn

Don, thanks for the tip on "Bookbud". I'm going to give it a try. I did a little research on them and found that they have some sort of a screening process that requires reviews on the host web site (Amazon/B&N) but also require a fee from the author to be listed (reportedly $520 for a $2 book). Indie authors generally seem to be satisfied with their profits; Reader reviews vary. It looks like you still have to do your own assessment based on your personal tastes and interests. But, this service gives you lots more to consider.:)

On the other point - I am firmly convinced that the Kindle Paperwhite is the best pure reading machine ever invented. I have tried to read on tablets, iPads and a Samsung phone and become frustrated with all of them. Washout in bright light and screen glare and reflections as well as short battery life all bother me pretty quickly. If you are able to read on these devices you are a better (more tolerant/less demanding :D) reader than I am. The Paperwhite suffers from none of these defaults. Another kindle feature I like is the ability to switch easily from one book to another and return to my place. I tend to have 2 or 3 books in progress at any time depending on my mood. The lighted screen lets me read in bed without disturbing my wife and also gives enough light to find my way to the bathroom ;).

Finally, I concur with everyone that the library setup on Marina and Riviera sucks :eek:

Regards, Robbie

Thanks for that input re reading devices. I just got my I Pad and I'm still trying to figure out how to work the darn thing...what ever happened to a "manual"??? :p I have known someone else who read more than 1 book at a time...bless you for keeping them all straight!! LuAnn

Which doesn't use a book...just take your napkin and drape it over the back of the chair...that is supposed to mean the chair is taken!! :cool: LuAnn

Only works if everyone knows the significance of the napkin rule :D

Edited by LHT28

Only works if everyone know the rules :D

I guess everyone knew the "rules" on this last T/A...14 nights and no one didn't know!! :p Even the wait staff were doing this as you left your table to get your food!! :cool: LuAnn

I guess everyone knew the "rules" on this last T/A...14 nights and no one didn't know!! :p Even the wait staff were doing this as you left your table to get your food!! :cool: LuAnn

Well sometimes it works sometime not

We returned to our table after getting our selections to find someone at our table :eek:

Even the waiter was shocked that we chose another table when he returned with our drinks

Our napkins were on the chair but this man did not seem to notice

YMMD

Well sometimes it works sometime not

We returned to our table after getting our selections to find someone at our table :eek:

Even the waiter was shocked that we chose another table when he returned with our drinks

Our napkins were on the chair but this man did not seem to notice

YMMD

I guess someone forgot to read "the rule book" on rules of the napkins! Maybe next time???? ;) LuAnn

"Supposed to" is the operative phrase. I find that many servers have not learned that and clear our plates if we both leave the table, and more so I found that very few guests know that -- more than once we have found people sitting at our table when we return with another course or dessert. It can lead to embarrassing moments. The books seem to always work.

It's also one of the many reasons we avoid the Terrace, but I love Waves.