Some questions from an Oceania nOObie

TheDarkestBlue

Hi Everyone :) Looking forward to our first Oceania trip, starting to pack, and had some first timer questions, if you will be so kind? I have searched - some of them are subjective, any or all answers much welcome:

We will be in a concierge veranda (A3?) and I see that it includes a laptop and perhaps an iPad (which has limited availability?) Is this something we request or will already be in the room? Is there a sure way to procure an iPad?

What kind of soft drinks are on offer for stocking the in room fridge? Besides adult beverages, we drink juice, milk or water - no soda - I imagine they may have individual size juice for those who are mixing cocktails?

Does the spa run specials onboard? What are your favorite services there?

When the small sofa is set up for sleeping, does it limit access to the veranda?

Any recent copy of daily "Currents" that someone could post up? I have only found ones that are several years old online...

Is there Tea (looks so lovely) at 4:00 on the day of departure (8pm sail time)?

Can someone explain what those ceramic loungers are all about? :o They look so... hard, lol? :eek: :p

What is your favorite spot for sail away on an O class ship?

Thanks! :D

We will be in a concierge veranda (A3?) and I see that it includes a laptop and perhaps an iPad (which has limited availability?) Is this something we request or will already be in the room? Is there a sure way to procure an iPad?

Laptop will be in the room but you cannot do anything but surf the web for a fee unless you have free internet ...I would take your own

What kind of soft drinks are on offer for stocking the in room fridge? Besides adult beverages, we drink juice, milk or water - no soda - I imagine they may have individual size juice for those who are mixing cocktails?

Usually sodas & bottled water ...I suppose you could request juice never asked

Does the spa run specials onboard? YES check the CURRENTS

When the small sofa is set up for sleeping, does it limit access to the veranda?

I would imagine yes never had it open

Any recent copy of daily "Currents" that someone could post up? I have only found ones that are several years old online...

see link below

Is there Tea (looks so lovely) at 4:00 on the day of departure (8pm sail time)?

No tea on departure day the crew are far to busy

Can someone explain what those ceramic loungers are all about? :o They look so... hard, lol? :eek: :p

they are warmed so you can relax & yes they are hard ;)

Thanks! :D

You can check the Preismans blog for their Oceania cruises & links to menus & CURRENTS

http://www.thepreismans.com/index.html

Enjoy your cruise

Lyn

you can ask them to request certain items for your fridge...eg...Clamato Juice...or diet tonic water...those are the only things I have ever asked for so not sure about milk...but there is water in your room...but very large bottles which you could fit in the fridge if you have the "standard" items removed...sounds like you don't drink sodas so you could have those taken out and put the large bottles of water in the fridge...I think that one at a time will fit on the top shelf. There is also a small "sparkling water" in the fridge as well...if you booked direct with O I'm sure they can help you with your requests. Enjoy and hope you have a great cruise on O!!! LuAnn

you can ask them to request certain items for your fridge...eg...Clamato Juice...or diet tonic water...those are the only things I have ever asked for so not sure about milk...but there is water in your room...but very large bottles which you could fit in the fridge if you have the "standard" items removed...sounds like you don't drink sodas so you could have those taken out and put the large bottles of water in the fridge...I think that one at a time will fit on the top shelf. There is also a small "sparkling water" in the fridge as well...if you booked direct with O I'm sure they can help you with your requests. Enjoy and hope you have a great cruise on O!!! LuAnn
They will help with your request even if you have not booked direct.

I once asked O if they would have Clamato in the bars for an upcomng cruise. They replied 'depending on re-stocking port, time to depatrure, etc but will do what they can, etc. All very understandable, plus it was not long before the sailing date.

I was very surprised when not only did they have it on board but they phoned my stateroom to let me know it was onboard and was in all the bars. The next day I saw a full bottle in the fridge as well. When I did not use it for the first couple of days the room steward made a point to ask if it was okay and what I wanted. The service was wonderful.

Edited by YoHoHo

You can check the Preismans blog for their Oceania cruises & links to menus & CURRENTS

http://www.thepreismans.com/index.html

Enjoy your cruise

Lyn

Thank you for all the info! I have been over the Preisman's blog - it was one of the best laid out and informative blogs I have seen, and a big factor in convincing us to go for it :) Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any "Currents" in there - but seemingly every menu on the ship!

Thanks again!

Clamato? Hmm. I bet that makes a great Bloody Mary, with a little horseradish :cool: Apple and cranberry sounds easy ;) As for soda, my DH does like Orangina (which may be easier to find in Europe), but that's about it for us. I drink a lot of water, so it sounds like I'll be all set. This is the first time I have used a TA to book the cruise (big score there) didn't know I could ask for something like this :) I will check in with her, thanks!

They will help with your request even if you have not booked direct.

I once asked O if they would have Clamato in the bars for an upcomng cruise. They replied 'depending on re-stocking port, time to depatrure, etc but will do what they can, etc. All very understandable, plus it was not long before the sailing date.

I was very surprised when not only did they have it on board but they phoned my stateroom to let me know it was onboard and was in all the bars. The next day I saw a full bottle in the fridge as well. When I did not use it for the first couple of days the room steward made a point to ask if it was okay and what I wanted. The service was wonderful.

Wow, that is some great, intuitive service! Clamato? You too? What's up with Clamato?

The way they are interested in going extra mile is very impressive to me. Must have made you feel good, to know they care and have a desire make you feel at home :) I am so looking forward to this trip! Thank you!

Edited by TheDarkestBlue

Thank you for all the info! I have been over the Preisman's blog - it was one of the best laid out and informative blogs I have seen, and a big factor in convincing us to go for it :) Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any "Currents" in there - but seemingly every menu on the ship!

Thanks again!

Sorry I guess they only posted the ones from Last yr on Regatta

http://www.thepreismans.com/bermuda_regatta_dailies.htm

They do an excellent job of photos of the ship & menus

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Clamato? Hmm. I bet that makes a great Bloody Mary, with a little horseradish :cool: Apple and cranberry sounds easy ;) As for soda, my DH does like Orangina (which may be easier to find in Europe), but that's about it for us. I drink a lot of water, so it sounds like I'll be all set. This is the first time I have used a TA to book the cruise (big score there) didn't know I could ask for something like this :) I will check in with her, thanks!

is called a "Bloody Caesar"...I learned that on a cruise several years ago from a fellow passenger who was a Royal Canadian Mounted Policeman and it is a drink created in Canada!! In fact...on a HAL cruise from MIA to Montreal the bar staff had an entire lesson on how to create one!! There is also a "Virgin Caesar" without the vodka! Depending on your taste buds...I find it to be a far less heavy, tastier version of the "Bloody Mary"...but your apple and cranberry sounds good too...isn't that called a "Scarlet O'Hara"??? Have fun...and let us know what you end up having and liking!! LuAnn

Sorry I guess they only posted the ones from Last yr on Regatta

http://www.thepreismans.com/bermuda_regatta_dailies.htm

They do an excellent job of photos of the ship & menus

Lyn

I did miss this - thanks so much for pointing it out, just what I was looking for :)

and appreciate _4Lakes Lady_ as well for posting up her pages!

Clamato is for Caesars not Bloody Marys. Caesar is a Canadian drink but now found in the US.

is called a "Bloody Caesar"...I learned that on a cruise several years ago from a fellow passenger who was a Royal Canadian Mounted Policeman and it is a drink created in Canada!! In fact...on a HAL cruise from MIA to Montreal the bar staff had an entire lesson on how to create one!! There is also a "Virgin Caesar" without the vodka! Depending on your taste buds...I find it to be a far less heavy, tastier version of the "Bloody Mary"...but your apple and cranberry sounds good too...isn't that called a "Scarlet O'Hara"??? Have fun...and let us know what you end up having and liking!! LuAnn

Bloody Caesar sounds like the flavor of raw clam on the half shell with cocktail sauce, on the rocks :D I'll have to try it, I grew up near the beach, so this sounds yummy! I also like OJ, cranberry and V - think it's called a Madras? So many ways to enjoy vodka, but I don't drink much, so it has to count when I do ;)

I think we are going to have a blast, thanks! I will try to check back in and let you guys know how it went :)

Bloody Caesar sounds like the flavor of raw clam on the half shell with cocktail sauce, on the rocks :D I'll have to try it, I grew up near the beach, so this sounds yummy! I also like OJ, cranberry and V - think it's called a Madras? So many ways to enjoy vodka, but I don't drink much, so it has to count when I do ;)

I think we are going to have a blast, thanks! I will try to check back in and let you guys know how it went :)

share your experiences!! OJ/cranberry and V?? never had that one...will add it to my list of "drinks" to try!! BTW...I personally don't think it tastes to "clammy"...but will be interested to see what you think!! LuAnn

cranberry, OJ and vodka is a Madras

We live in the next town from Greenwich CT, where they are mad for the Madras, and sometimes claim to have invented it.

Their Spring 2015 spin on it seems to be filling the glasses with a random number of iced cubes, half of which are made from Cranberry Juice and the other half from Orange Juice, then add Vodka to cover.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_KNKabfNtGP-t7kE4HHFAGc0CthmNxJ0AqWEheIwBRp-_IBnk

It really does resemble a madras plaid in the glass......for a short while, anyway. :D

Happily, I don't dawdle when I drink ;)

We live in the next town from Greenwich CT, where they are mad for the Madras, and sometimes claim to have invented it.

Their Spring 2015 spin on it seems to be filling the glasses with a random number of iced cubes, half of which are made from Cranberry Juice and the other half from Orange Juice, then add Vodka to cover.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_KNKabfNtGP-t7kE4HHFAGc0CthmNxJ0AqWEheIwBRp-_IBnk

It really does resemble a madras plaid in the glass......for a short while, anyway. :D

Happily, I don't dawdle when I drink ;)

Lol, that sounds like a party in a glass!

Summer get together - Ice Cube Bar of different juices, with bottles of vodka in an ice jacket? Perhaps Madras tea towel wrapped around bottom in homage to Greenwich? ;) :D

vodkafrozenMarthaStewart.jpg

Add a dash of lime and you're on the road to a Cosmopolitan!

Such a lovely road TO the Cosmopolitan state of bliss - It's the road back that's a b***h ;):D

To add a bit of heaven to that Madras - add a splash of Cointreau.:cool:

I will try the Cointreau sounds like it would add a nice depth :)