Distilled Water

m1k2s3

Can I get distilled water on board the Riveria? If so, can I wait till we board to request it or should I contact my TA now to request it - we board in two weeks.

Thanks for you help. I tried to search the forum posts for this but couldn't find anything specific.

We always request it in advance. Sometimes it is waiting in our cabin, sometimes not. When it isn't already there, we ask our steward and he/she brings it by within a few hours.

Hambagahle: for us boiled water wouldn't be the same - we need distilled water for use in a CPAP machine. If it were simply boiled it would leave mineral deposits in the machine.

Can I get distilled water on board the Riveria? If so, can I wait till we board to request it or should I contact my TA now to request it - we board in two weeks.

Thanks for you help. I tried to search the forum posts for this but couldn't find anything specific.

Relax. You're not going to have a problem. The ships routinely carry distilled water to use in their own equipment like irons and steamers. I'd notify Guest Services in advance, but it's unlikely that the water will be in your room when you board even taking this step.

The first time you see your attendant/butler ask for your distilled water. Memory tells me that the water does not come in a sealed, labeled bottle. It gets poured into smaller bottles from the large, commercial sized containers the ship buys. But it will be distilled water and it will be safe to use for whatever equipment you're bringing. (I'm guessing C-Pap machine.)

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I would order it in advance

at this late date you may or may not get it

Distilled water is used in the ship's own equipment. Oceania doesn't want minerals clogging its fabric steamers, irons, etc. So distilled water is always on the ship.

If cruisers are going to lug any liquid to the ship, it should be wine and liquor. Not distilled water!!

Distilled water is used in the ship's own equipment. Oceania doesn't want minerals clogging its fabric steamers, irons, etc. So distilled water is always on the ship.

Thanks

I do not frequent the crew areas so would not have know that

Thanks

I do not frequent the crew areas so would not have know that

What an odd statement. Clearly you think I frequent the crew areas! LOL

Anyone who has cruised with Oceania before and has requested distilled water in the past will know this information.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I suppose you could ask someone to boil you some water... would that not be the same?

No, they are not the same. Distilling means vaporising the liquid, and then condensing the vapor. For water, it removes minerals etc. from the water since they stay behind in the container and don't get vaporised. For weak alcohol solutions the alcohol vaporises before the water, so distilling raises the alcohol content and makes whiskey and rum!

Boiling water kills any bacteria or other undesirable micro-critters, so is used to make water potable. It is also useful for making coffee, tea, pasta, etc.;)

I thought they get their water by desalination of sea water. Figured that was why there is no build up of mineral deposits or water spots anywhere on the ship.

That's what I thought, also. I have always believed that what comes from the tap in your bathroom is essentially distilled water. But, I don't know that for certain. It's worth asking...

You may want to retake chem 101

Since I never took "Chem 101" I can hardly re-take it! I had no idea that distilled water was any different from boiled water. In Africa where I lived for 10 years we kept gin bottles in the fridge full of boiled water which was then OK to drink... Now I understand the difference AND the OP's reason for asking the question.

Since I never took "Chem 101" I can hardly re-take it! I had no idea that distilled water was any different from boiled water. In Africa where I lived for 10 years we kept gin bottles in the fridge full of boiled water which was then OK to drink... Now I understand the difference AND the OP's reason for asking the question.

https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=1481

If OP searches "ship's water" or similar terms in CC's "Ask a cruise question," s/he will find many fine explanations by marine engineers regarding the complex treatment of water on a ship.

My question was specific to "distilled water" as I need it for my CPAP machine. I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine. The humidifier attached uses distilled water. Distilled water is better to use with a CPAP machine as tap water or bottled water contains minerals. I did in fact search on CC and a number of threads came up and after skimming through dozens of pages, I still didn't know whether I should request the distilled water through my TA or wait till I board the ship - and now after asking the question and seeing all the responses here - I'm still not sure what to do.

My question was specific to "distilled water" as I need it for my CPAP machine. I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine. The humidifier attached uses distilled water. Distilled water is better to use with a CPAP machine as tap water or bottled water contains minerals. I did in fact search on CC and a number of threads came up and after skimming through dozens of pages, I still didn't know whether I should request the distilled water through my TA or wait till I board the ship - and now after asking the question and seeing all the responses here - I'm still not sure what to do.

I suggest you do both: TA request now and reminder within a couple of weeks of sailing and, as a reminder, once you are on board. As a "just to make sure" step, you could also call O before leaving to see if there is a note about the water in your record.

That's what I thought, also. I have always believed that what comes from the tap in your bathroom is essentially distilled water. But, I don't know that for certain. It's worth asking...

I just did a little more research, and found that desalinated water is often pure distilled water, but some chemicals and minerals are usually added to make it taste better -- one comment was that distilled water tastes horrible! Therefore, the tap water is most likely not pure enough for your CPAP machine.

Distilled water has no taste ..it is flat

Cannot taste any worse than Florida water can it ??? :D

Lyn

but try the water in SD...but then...I grew up with it...and we'll drink it as long as we HAVE it!!! :eek: LuAnn

• 1 month later...
We always request it in advance. Sometimes it is waiting in our cabin, sometimes not. When it isn't already there, we ask our steward and he/she brings it by within a few hours.

Hambagahle: for us boiled water wouldn't be the same - we need distilled water for use in a CPAP machine. If it were simply boiled it would leave mineral deposits in the machine.

Tell me about the outlet situation. We will be on the Insignia, unfortunately in a D cabin. I am sure they provide and extension cord, but do they outlets next to the bed?

I have two CPAP machines one for travel and another for home, but because we are going on a 50 day cruise I was thinking about bring either both of the home version. The travel version could work on batteries only.

Tell me about the outlet situation. We will be on the Insignia, unfortunately in a D cabin. I am sure they provide and extension cord, but do they outlets next to the bed?

I have two CPAP machines one for travel and another for home, but because we are going on a 50 day cruise I was thinking about bring either both of the home version. The travel version could work on batteries only.

Our last couple of cruises have been on Nautical, sibling to Insignia, so I asked my husband where he has plugged in C-PAP machine. Here's his answer, "I don't remember, but that's the point. If it had been a problem I would have remembered, but there has never been a problem. I think I've plugged in a wall outlet. I don't remember whether I've had to ask for an extension cord. Whatever I've needed to do, it hasn't been a problem."

Incidentally, I recommend you bring along an outlet adapter for the European outlets in your stateroom, assuming the electronic devices you bring along are rated for US voltage (110) through European voltage (220). If so, you can turn an outlet with the "wrong" plug holes into useful additional for US plugs. But again, check the devices you'll be bringing. Somewhere on/near the plug there will be a voltage rating. (e.g. my Samsung phone is rated 100 -- 240 volts). If your device doesn't have continuous voltage rating, ignore this suggestion about adapter plugs.