Insignia, Regatta, Sirena questions

aunteemom

We are Oceania fans and have sailed on Riviera and Marina. We like to participate in ping pong, trivia,name that tune and after dinner shows. Do the small ships offer trivia every late afternoon. Do they have shows every evening when there really isn't a large show room? Are there ping pong tournaments. Lastly, since there are only two specialty restaurants, are you offered more nights to reserve these restaurants. Thanks for your input

We are Oceania fans and have sailed on Riviera and Marina. We like to participate in ping pong, trivia,name that tune and after dinner shows. Do the small ships offer trivia every late afternoon. Do they have shows every evening when there really isn't a large show room? Are there ping pong tournaments. Lastly, since there are only two specialty restaurants, are you offered more nights to reserve these restaurants. Thanks for your input

The small ships do offer trivia every afternoon..and people are just as avid players as on the big ships...

There is a show every night most are like cabaret shows with one or two night club type acts..

Yes there are some ping pong tournaments run by the cruise staff..

As far as the restaurants go you have the same amount of dinners in each one as on the big ships..also you can sometimes get extra nights if there is space..

I love the small ships it is just as good an experience (IMHO) as the big ships only different..

Jancruz1

Next Oceania ...Regatta June 25

Do the small ships offer trivia every late afternoon.

Up to the CD when and which days, but generally, yes.

Do they have shows every evening when there really isn't a large show room?

Remember while the room is smaller there are fewer Pax on board.

I far prefer the smaller Lounge on the R-ships. Wonderful, comfortable multi-purpose room. The stage is smaller and so the productions are smaller. Unlike the O ships these rooms have great dance floor.

Lastly, since there are only two specialty restaurants, are you offered more nights to reserve these restaurants.

On both classes of ships, for most Pax, in cabins below Suites (and there is overlap in that definition) you will have four nights in Specialty restaurants. On O ships once in each, on R ships twice in each

Edited by YoHoHo

Cabin square footage is smaller. Any comments?

The veranda cabins are essentially the same. Most (if not all) of the extra footage in the veranda O cabins is in the larger bathrooms (with a tub). The veranda cabins on R ships actually have more (or better) storage space.

PH and above, the cabins on O ships are noticeably larger.

Edited by Paulchili

LOL, Wherever did you get the idea that there isn't a large Showroom on Oceania's smaller ships?

231521.jpg

Forward on Deck 5, you will find a namesake Lounge on each ship, i.e. the Regatta Lounge, the Sirena Lounge, you get the idea. While they will never be mistaken for Radio City Music Hall, they are lovely, comfortable multipurpose spaces, which serve their purpose admirably.

b_211239.jpg

I note that after a foray into theatrical seating for the showrooms of Marina and Riviera, Prestige has returned to the Lounge seating concept for the Main Lounge of their newest ship, Seven Seas Explorer.

EXP-ConstellationTheater-231x153.jpg

I much prefer the namesake lounges (love that phrase) to the theatres on the bigger ships. It's a much more versatile space and the dance floor makes it possible to have after show dancing.

and Sella, the chairs are so comfortable on the R ships in the lounge!!

Jancruz1

I prefer the higher ceiling, larger stage, better sound and lighting and better sight lines in the Marina and Riviera theater lounges. Yes, I said better sight lines -- the floor in the "R" ships is flat with a perimeter raised one step -- it you aren't in the front row of either, it's difficult to see over others' heads. The larger ships have a sloped floor which enables one to see over the heads in front. There are no bad seats in the larger theater -- every seat has a great view of the stage. I even prefer the theater seating for shows (it's not so great for trivia, but we make do).

The soft chairs in the "R" ship theaters are more comfortable, but the hard chairs at the back, near the bar, are like sitting on a hard dining room chair -- I can barely tolerate them for 45 minutes. And, I avoid the banquette seats like the plague, unless that's all that's left. The ceiling is low, so the acoustics are bad, and they raise the volume to compensate. One time the microphone broke, so the singer continued without amplification -- and the sound was the best I've heard in the "R" ships. The dance floor is larger, but the stage is tiny -- the performers end up using the dance floor -- which just makes the sight lines worse. I'll never forget the time, several years ago, when an assistant cruise director was a talented dancer -- but much of her performance involved moving on the floor; we never saw 2/3 or her performance.

Having said that, we try to never miss a performance on either class of ship. I think we've missed 4 or 5 out of 169 nights! On either type of ship, we do our best to get there early and get seats in or near the front row.

Many people say the entertainment is not the best on Oceania, but it's the same cabaret acts as on any other cruise line we've sailed, and only the production singers and dancers are slightly different -- the casts are smaller, which fits the ship size. Granted Oceania doesn't have the mega shows that are on some of the mega ships, but frankly, the smaller and older ships on cruise lines like Celebrity and NCL don't have those mega shows, either.

I prefer the higher ceiling, larger stage, better sound and lighting and better sight lines in the Marina and Riviera theater lounges. Yes, I said better sight lines -- the floor in the "R" ships is flat with a perimeter raised one step -- it you aren't in the front row of either, it's difficult to see over others' heads.

True, the flat floor does block view though with fewer folks in front it is not bad.

But I assume you have not had the misfortune to sit in the very back section on the O ship theatres. The sightlines are so bad most folks leave after a short attempt to enjoy the show.

Not the back row but back of the horizontal walk ways into the seating area. Note unlike the ol' peanut gallery it is a small section all to its own. The floor slopes less and all heads before are obstacles. Even entertaining shows there is often a regular audience turnover.

True, the flat floor does block view though with fewer folks in front it is not bad.

But I assume you have not had the misfortune to sit in the very back section on the O ship theatres. The sightlines are so bad most folks leave after a short attempt to enjoy the show.

Not the back row but back of the horizontal walk ways into the seating area. Note unlike the ol' peanut gallery it is a small section all to its own. The floor slopes less and all heads before are obstacles. Even entertaining shows there is often a regular audience turnover.

I have been seated in that section several times, and never had a problem with seeing everything on the stage -- as long as no one is rudely standing in that walk way blocking the view. The biggest problem with those sections (either side) and also the last several rows of the main section, is the ceiling is lower, the speakers are closer and the sound levels are too high.

I agree it may not be everyone's cup of tea; perhaps I just have a tolerant personality :rolleyes:.