Connect@sea app

dollfaceod

Anyone use this? Is it worthwhile? Am I understanding correctly that there is no cost or need for Wi-Fi to connect with people on the cruise? Any info would be appreciated. I didn't find anything through a search of the forums.

The service which you are asking about still requires an Internet connection through the Cruise-line.

Some Oceania cruises offer unlimited free Internet access as a benefit, on others Internet access requires the payment of a fee or the purchase of a plan.

This is correct. Would be nice to be able to use the wifi system onboard to message each other with an app like connect@sea. We all know the "speed" issue on these ships is once it leaves the ship and not on the actual wi-fi system onboard, so I don't see why this wouldn't work... even if for a minimal charge.

The Connect@Sea app is presently only available on Oceania Cruises so that passengers can make calls and send text messages while at sea. You have to register and purchase minutes when onboard the ship. You don’t have to purchase a separate internet plan to use the app once you have purchased a calling plan. You can find more information here www.connectatsea.com/app/.

The Connect@Sea app is presently only available on Oceania Cruises so that passengers can make calls and send text messages while at sea. You have to register and purchase minutes when onboard the ship. You don’t have to purchase a separate internet plan to use the app once you have purchased a calling plan. You can find more information here www.connectatsea.com/app/.

No information on that page about costs, but I assume you just use your internet plan. But for texting, not sure it's worth it. Most cell providers have a rate of $.75 for a text message, just about anywhere in the world. Can't remember if it's both outgoing and incoming, but it's still cheap, for emergencies. Talking is another matter, of course.

Not something for me. I confess to being a luddite when on vacation.

For an upcoming trip in Province I am resisting urge to buy a cheap 'local' mobile phone(gasp). Might need to make a call where a payphone will not be available. If I do get the phone I hope to return home having completely wasted the small pre-purchased allotment of minutes.

With these tethered-at-sea apps I hope we won't have tablemates texting each other on O. We have a few restaurants and bars here that ban phones, they have to be secured in a lock box at the table.

I really don't care how one wants to spend their time or money just don't went the intrusion on my quiet enjoyment. Attended a theatre production last weekend. Could be bad manners, self importance, I'll be quick or just forgetfulness with the ubiquitous use of phones. Usher had to tell one person nearby to stopped texting during the play. The bright 'glow' from a couple of others was equally distracting even though momentary use.

So you are saying that unlike other cruise lines that automatically set up to recieve messaging and calls, you have to download this app?

are texts recieved still .05 and .50 to send?

thanks frank