Marina (2 Threads Merged)

TIMAS

Didn't know which of your 2 posts on the same subject to reply to but here goes.

CC member, Mura, who is on Marina now has mentioned in another thread that her husband has been quarantined.

IMHO people are far too quick to mention Norovirus, or alternatively, they attribute too much fear to Norovirus. A couple of years ago I had a simple 24hr tummy bug. I confined myself to barracks and felt fine the next day. Mentioned it to a friend who immediately said "You've got Norovirus!" Well maybe I had but it was just one of those things, and by staying indoors I kept it to myself.

I always use the hand sanitiser while on board ship and ashore and have never been sick on any of the ships I've been on, including one on the Nile.

C'est la vie.

I don't think so. I read on one of the threads last night that someone on board was sick. I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet. There are strict guidelines from the CDC for cruise ships to report these things. Check the CDC website, search under Vessel Sanitation Program.

Mura has reporte3d there has been something going around

captain said it was not Noro & seems to be under control

People seem to be down for 24hrs

I bet they will have a CDC inspection & deep clean when they hit a US post

We had a similar problem a few yrs ago

Tummy bug for 24hrs

The CDC reported it was E-Coli

Lyn

I believe it has to be 3% of passengers and crew sick in order for them to report to CDC. And I think it has to be tested as Noro.

Traveler's sickness on the other hand is very common. CDC reports that 20 -50% of international travelers get it. It can be picked up anywhere.

OP, just for the record, have you seen more than the one person reporting someone being sick?

Edited by ORV

Im surprised by this because pax cannot serve themselves so ..how is this spreading .Only gloved employees touch food .....

How is what spreading? One poster mentioning her husband is sick is not a spreading epidemic.

I personally know of several people who were sick and at least two who were quarantined (but only for one day). It seems to still be going around since they are continuing to make announcements. They don't charge for a doctor's visit under these conditions but you do have to fill out a CDC form if you are reporting diarrhea. That form wants to know everything you ate, drank and DID for the three days prior to the onset of the problem, which I for one could not remember. (I had to fill out the form for my husband since his vision problems have become severe.)

As of Saturday morning (5/2) the laundry rooms are still closed and the meats are still being overcooked. If you like well-done meats you won't have a problem!

Mura

is that when you are contagious, you don't know about it. AFTER the diarrhea you are no longer contagious. The noro bacteria, I heard, can live on hard objects for weeks. No shaking hands. Carry hand wipes. I know that the CDC is on board and it will probably be clean before we get on it...it will...but everyone should be careful to not touch everything. The poster is right about the menus. It usually isn't passengers who get this exclusively...the crew does too.

I heard the CDC is onboard....more than one if the Captain is making announcements.

is that when you are contagious, you don't know about it. AFTER the diarrhea you are no longer contagious. The noro bacteria, I heard, can live on hard objects for weeks. No shaking hands. Carry hand wipes. I know that the CDC is on board and it will probably be clean before we get on it...it will...but everyone should be careful to not touch everything. The poster is right about the menus. It usually isn't passengers who get this exclusively...the crew does too.

How does that work? Marina hasn't been to a US port yet. Did the CDC get on in one of the ports after Panama? Do they fly in on a helicopter? Are there any links to where the information came from that the CDC is on board? I thought they would come onboard and inspect in the first US port IF there is more than 2% affected.

So far there is no report on the CDC website that there is a problem.

Tis the season...HAL Maasendam reported in the news had to turn around and go back to Miami due to serious outbreak of Noro. Please people, wash your hands with hot water and soap! Antibacterial soaps and gels are simply breeding resistant strains, rely on hand washing, not just gel sanitizers. Have you ever seen a surgeon scrub? Think about it!! Only 140 degree Fahrenheit temperature can kill viruses and bacteria.

Edited by kekilia

Kekilia is right.

I believe that passengers board the ship with noro virus. Some unknowingly. I have been on ships where nobody ever got sick; one ship did not have as high a cleanliness standard as others and nobody got sick. Other ships made constant cleaning efforts and people got sick anyway. I always feel sorry for the crew. They work so hard under normal circumstances and get an extra heavy load in an outbreak of illness.

When Mura posted a few days ago it was NOT confirmed as NORO

I am waiting to see what the report is

I am hoping it is cleared by the time it reaches NYC & any B2B passengers are not sick

Lyn

Let's hope you are right, Lyn about it all being over soon. The CDC site supposedly covers all outbreaks of GI sickness over the 2% level, not just Noro, so I will be curious if they post anything.