Can you do Pisa/Florence in one day?

nelderwoman

Hi Folks

Can you do Pisa and Florence in one day? Is train the best way to do this?

I know some of you say they is not much in Pisa but I would like to see the Tower.

1st cruise, these forums are so great, full of wonderful information.

Keep up the good work.

Nelderwoman:)

quote.gif

The answer is yes and you might think of it as trying to do Dublin and Shannon in one day (although Pisa is a relatively small town). We have spent more then a week in Florence and still have not had enough time to really absorb the city. Just visiting one or two museums and having lunch can easily fill an entire port day. In order to do both Pisa and Florence in a day it means you must significantly reduce your time in Florence. You can achieve your goal by booking a tour (cruise line or private) or using the trains. The train line that runs between Livorno and Florence passes right through Pisa...although you would probably want to use a taxi to get from the Pisa train station to the tower. When you are trying to picture you day keep in mind that it takes about 1:15 - 1:30 to get to Florence from Livorno (one way).

Hank

Florence and Pisa is possible to do in a day but youll only get a taste of each place . You need a land based holiday to get to see the museums because its always very busy and the queues are usually large.

Ive been there in May and in September and on both occasions its been very hot.

You can get the train but bear in mind that if your not used to the system it could add onto your time. I know alot of people on here make their own arrangements which is probably best, but why not go for the ships tour which drops you in Pisa and Florence giving you time on your own. Its not ideal but you would get to see both places,we did that the first time, but be warned whatever you do youll probably want to return ....

The answer is yes and you might think of it as trying to do Dublin and Shannon in one day (although Pisa is a relatively small town). We have spent more then a week in Florence and still have not had enough time to really absorb the city. Just visiting one or two museums and having lunch can easily fill an entire port day. In order to do both Pisa and Florence in a day it means you must significantly reduce your time in Florence. You can achieve your goal by booking a tour (cruise line or private) or using the trains. The train line that runs between Livorno and Florence passes right through Pisa...although you would probably want to use a taxi to get from the Pisa train station to the tower. When you are trying to picture you day keep in mind that it takes about 1:15 - 1:30 to get to Florence from Livorno (one way). Hank

Agree strongly with Hank that there is so, so much to see and do in Florence. Trying to spread your time between BOTH Pisa and Florence would challenge your logistics seriously. You can say you had been in both places, but I don't think you would enjoy or really experience that much, with any detail or depth, in either place. The travel time from the port to either city can be fairly time-consuming.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

You live sooo close to Italy that I'd not try to rush about so much! The cities may be small but they are dense in the amount you can see and do so try to get into the Italian spirit and take your time, stop to have a coffee at a cafe, enjoy the cities .There's always next time!

Hi Folks

Can you do Pisa and Florence in one day? Is train the best way to do this?

I know some of you say they is not much in Pisa but I would like to see the Tower.

1st cruise, these forums are so great, full of wonderful information.

Keep up the good work.

quote.gif

As stated seeing them in one day is not the best option. BUT, it is doable if you would just like a taste of each. We were very happy with this decision. This is what we chose because we didn't know if we would ever have to opportunity to to visit either city again. If you wish to visit a museum in Florence, then I would suggest to go only to Florence. But if you will be satisifed with just getting a taste of Florence and visiting a few points of interests then this might be acceptable to you. If you do a search there are plenty who have taken the train to both cities and they spell it out for you. This is the least expensive way. You can also arrange for a private driver and van. If you go on your roll call you might find others who are interested in spliting the cost. There are also ship's tours which are comprehensive and spells out what exactly you will see. It is up to you to know your travel style and budget.

Thanks everyone for all the facts, I think I will stick to just one. As you say

there is always next time.

I have posted on the Roll Call but so far no one else on my dates.

I hope to share an Alfami Coast tour so I hope other join the Roll Call on the Voyager for my dates 25th July

Regards

I did both in one day.

Did take a taxi to and from the train to the tower as Hlitner suggests.

BAsically just looked at the square, took pics of the tower (esp the obligatory "holding up the leaning tower pic), and headed back to the train.

I did make reservations ahead of time for the Accademia and Uffizzi tickets.

Going back, we had to wait for the train (I guess it was late?!?), and when we finally got back to Livorno, the bus that takes you back to the bus that takes you back to the bus that takes you back to the ship was JAMMED beyond belief.

We paniced and got into a much shorter taxi queue (even though we had prepaid for tickets). It was only 30 minutes until last call for all aboard....

Well, there were NO taxis anywhere to be found. Finally one taxi pulled up, and we begged him to send others. Time was ticking away, and slowly a taxi or two arrived. Everyone on the line was in a panic by this point. The NCL ship that we were on had a all aboard an hour earlier the other line that was in port that day (RCL?). Some of the folks on the other line were gracious enough to let the NCL people go ahead of them, but some insisted that since they were there first, they were not going to let anyone ahead of them. So we waited. And called the ship to let them know of our situation.

Finally a taxi came with only one NCL family ahead of us. They had 11 in their group and we had 3. The driver (who had a mini van) agreed to let us all cram in together (it normally would have held 6 plus the driver.

The driver knew his way around the area, and must have set a world record getting from the train station to port (judging by his speed and the way he cut in and out of traffic, and around obstacles in the shipyard).

The next year, my DD and I went back to Florence, skipped Pisa, and took one train earlier than we needed to.

We had a lovely day in Florence, a leisurely lunch, and made it back to the ship with time to spare.

The moral of this story is:

You can do it, just plan wisely.

wow...I'd better not let my DH see your post rrobynec!!! I can't get him to do anything that's not a ship tour....and he wants to do both Pisa and Florence in the one day....after reading this thread, I'm hoping I can at least get him to do the less expensive "on your own" ship tour, and then when he feels so badly about not getting to spend enough time in either place, we'll just have to go back!!!! We'll have to think of it as an appetizer, and not a main course of Florence.

We used a car and driver and easily did both in one day. Of course, on a cruise, you never really have all the time that you want anywhere. We left the ship as soon as we were cleared and headed directly to Pisa to see the tower, cathedral and baptistry well before the crowds and tour busses arrived. Then it was off to Florence to spend the late morning and afternoon. We had a great day!!

Anyone knows how much does it cost for a minivan taxi (for 6 persons) from the Livorno cruise port to Pisa's Leaning Tower? Also, how much time does the ride take?

From various threads, I know the taxi cost from the port to the Livorno train station is about 20 euro; train to Pisa Central station about 8 euro/person; and I estimated the cost of taxi from Pisa Central station to the Leaning Tower to be about 15 euro (we don't want to walk the 1.5 miles or wait an hour to transfer to the train station that is closer walk to the Leaning Tower). Which adds up to about 14 euro/person; so for the six of us, the total will be around 84 euro. I was just wondering maybe the cost of taking the minivan taxi directly from the port to the Leaning Tower might not be too much higher.

Thank you.

We'll have to think of it as an appetizer, and not a main course of Florence.

That is a great way to think of it!

I agree with Big guy--if I had it to do all over again, I would hire a private driver.

Too bad, the second time I did the itinerary, I didn't have any time to plan--I booked everything 24 hrs before!:p

I strongly urge you to try to get to the Accademia and the Uffuzzi--you will barely scratch the Uffuzzi (like you will barely be able to scratch the Vatican majesty), but think about doing it anyway! Just prebook the tickets ahead online.

Edited by rrobynec

Just my two cents: I believe this could be possible to complete in the time you are in port, but I don't think you would not enjoy it as much because you would definitely be rushed.

I would focus on one or the other, and if it were me choosing, I'd focus on Florence. I did not feel as though there was much to do in Pisa beyond the Field of Miracles (Leaning Tower), but I found this to be pretty much like Italy's version of "WORLD'S BIGGEST BALL OF TWINE - NEXT EXIT". It's an interesting oddity, but not something I would invest a lot of time and money trying to visit.

We did both with a private driver and did not feel rushed at all. We did not spend much time in Pisa, just a short look around and picture taking, then off to Florence. We even squeezed in a special trip to the American Cemetery (World War II) to lay flowers at my father's grave, just outside of Florence, and had reservations at the Academia to see the David. Had a great leasurely lunch and saw all the major attractions and spent time strolling along the shops over the Arno. We did not spend a lot of time in museums, but had decide that other than the Academia we would forego museum for another trip. Just loved the whole day!!!

If you have to chose, though I would chose Florence.

• 7 years later...
Would you go to the Accademia or Uffizi in Florence if time were an issue? How about going out to Tuscany areas for wine?

You have resurrected a 7 year old thread. It may be better to ask your questions in a new thread.

Is going to Pisa how far out of the way to Florence? Can you simply drive by and take a picture as I hear it is far to walk?

By road, Pisa adds about 30 minutes to the 90-minute journey time.

By train, all trains to Florence pass through Pisa & all stop at Pisa Centrale station. A ticket to/from Florence permits you to stop off at Pisa & then continue your journey on the same ticket. I'd suggest you first make for Florence, armed with up-to-date return train times from Florence to Pisa / Livorno and from Pisa to Livorno. If time permits (it probably will if you don't do any inside visits in Florence) you can stop off at Pisa on the way back. If you don't manage Pisa same-day, put it on the back-burner for your next visit.

The Field of Miracles in Pisa (leaning tower etc) is a simple level 20 - 25 minute walk from Pisa Centrale station, or take a taxi if you have limited time or energy..

Cars, taxis & vans get you right alongside the Field of Miracles - two minutes or less, I don't know about larger vehicles tho' a local bus route passes alongside.

JB :)

Wow! Thank you for the information. How much did you pay for a private driver? Did you organize that before you got there? It seems very expensive. Did he/she wait for you? If anyone knows how to get a private driver for Florence please let me know!! Thank you.

Wow! Thank you for the information. How much did you pay for a private driver? Did you organize that before you got there? It seems very expensive. Did he/she wait for you? If anyone knows how to get a private driver for Florence please let me know!! Thank you.

Getting a private car/driver is quite easy although it is a very expensive way to spend your day. Reputable tour companies such as Romecabs will charge 450 - 500 € for a car that can hold about 4. If you put together a larger group the cost per person will drop. You can also hire a taxi at the port and drivers are happy to do a full day hire where they will wait for you at Florence or elsewhere, Taxi prices are negotiable but and, if business is slow, you might be able to negotiate a deal for as little as 300€. But the odds are you will pay more.

One reason why some of us prefer to do our own thing is that we can save a lot of money :). Train travel can often be very reasonable (sometimes less then $20). We also like to rent cars in some ports. For example, a rental car in Livorno (from Sifracar) will usually cost us about 120€ for the day (including gas). Sifracar will actually deliver our car to the pier...and allow us to drop it at the pier...which is a great time saver.

Hank

You have resurrected a 7 year old thread. It may be better to ask your questions in a new thread.

I don't think the dilemma of how to divide one's time, or the possible solutions, has really changed at all in seven years. The cost of transport has, but bearing changed costs in mind, it's still a relevant thread, IMHO.