Mobile Phone Help, Please!

Project_gal

My husband and I have tri-band mobile phones [not smart phones] on a contract and also have a spare SIM card for each phone. Our next cruise is in the Caribbean starting/finishing in Florida [where we will spend a few days pre-cruise].

We do not intend phoning home to the UK but would like to be able to make local calls while in Florida and calls to each other while in Florida and the Caribbean. For the first time we are arranging our own transfers so it would be nice to have a phone available as soon as we land.

Is there a pay as you go service we can sign-up to before we leave the UK which, perhaps, makes use of our spare SIM cards and will not cost the earth to use as I have described?

I'd be grateful for any advice you can give. Thanks.

Sue

Are those SIM cards not already affiliated to a Network? You would need to get roaming enabled on those SIMs and check out the Network rates. I use Rebtel when I'm in the US. This assigns a UK number to each number I wish to dial, that way I am only calling to the UK and not the full cost. I set up the Rebtel account in the UK. Is very cost efffective. Receiving SMS costs nothing.

you can buy local pre-paid sim cards at the airport and in each port, this isn't very cost efficient IMHO

We do cruise only and have never needed our phone, if you have already arranged your transfer you shouldn't need a phone they will be waiting for you, if cost is the driver why not think about walkie talkies to contact each other on the ship etc

If you intend only to use your phone when really necessary don't bother with a local sim as it will probably cost more than an odd call on your current phone. We normally send texts to each other on the odd occasion when Wifey is onboard and I have gone for a wander onshore.

We found that the only time a local sim was useful was when we did a 2 month trip to Australia and needed to phone airlines, hotels, etc.

Pete & Wifey

If you intend only to use your phone when really necessary don't bother with a local sim as it will probably cost more than an odd call on your current phone. We normally send texts to each other on the odd occasion when Wifey is onboard and I have gone for a wander onshore.

We found that the only time a local sim was useful was when we did a 2 month trip to Australia and needed to phone airlines, hotels, etc.

Pete & Wifey

Good point, thinking about it my last bill was only around £10 more than my contact

• 5 years later...