Torn or distressed Jeans

Barb Nahoumi

slidergirl, love your mini-fashion review of Sundance, lol. It's such a different environment to where I live.

It seems to me that winters are not as cold as they used to be in my neck of the woods (Atlanta). I used to have a lot of heavy sweaters but now prefer a really lightweight merino or silk-blend cardigan over a shell. Same outfit for work (dressier) or casual. I notice pullover sweaters have made a big return this year but I like them much less since I prefer the option to easily remove layers, if needed. (So many places overheat their interior in the winter!)

Same with pants. I barely wear my nice wool or wool-blend pants anymore. I like the Eileen Fisher crepe pants as a good weight for year-round wear to work. If it's really cold (2-3 times/year) I can put tights or even silk thermals under.

slidergirl, love your mini-fashion review of Sundance, lol. It's such a different environment to where I live.

It seems to me that winters are not as cold as they used to be in my neck of the woods (Atlanta). I used to have a lot of heavy sweaters but now prefer a really lightweight merino or silk-blend cardigan over a shell. Same outfit for work (dressier) or casual. I notice pullover sweaters have made a big return this year but I like them much less since I prefer the option to easily remove layers, if needed. (So many places overheat their interior in the winter!)

Same with pants. I barely wear my nice wool or wool-blend pants anymore. I like the Eileen Fisher crepe pants as a good weight for year-round wear to work. If it's really cold (2-3 times/year) I can put tights or even silk thermals under.

Sundance is a target-rich environment for someone like me who loves to see group behavior at work. And, I get to learn the ugly truth about the behavior of some of our "celebrities" when the visit my hotel. I had some lovely celebrities this year and one especially nasty one (totally different from his public persona - well, he was always either drunk or stoned or both).

I guess I am used to my cold environment; working outside at a ski resort for a few years may help. The only time I wear any wool or wool-blend pants is as part of my work suits. I'm out shoveling the driveway in workout leggings and Sorels, a long-sleeve T-shirt with my light down sweater. I have "dress leggings" that I wear with boots if I'm going out and about if I'm not wearing my jeans. I did bring out my big down coat a few nights the other week when it was storming and I had to wait out at the bus stop because I was afraid to drive in the conditions.

I get cranky if I'm in temperatures hotter than 76 degrees - I can do layers when I'm cold, but I can't do much if I'm hot ;)

I'm 25 and I have never found the point of jeans with actual holes in them. The ones with worn spots are okay to me as long as there isn't too many and the distressed style. But I also only own 1 pair of jeans and pretty much never wear them.

That's OK. We are all subject to our own environment, local social standards, etc.

Just like, where I live, regardless of age, jeans, workout leggings are the norm. Women wearing dresses are an anomaly. Women in stores wearing their active wear is common. At night, jeans are the established wear, unless you have skinny pants/leggings with boots... And, the jeans you see run the gamut, from dark wash trouser-style to the very washed out, majorly distressed skinnies, to genuine Wrangler Cowboy cut to those from Gorsuch or the Sundance Catalog with all the embroidery on them.

I live in Southern CA and distressed clothing is the norm here. It's not just jeans...it's jackets, dresses, skirts, anything denim is mostly distressed and skinny jeans and boyfriend (or now some brands are calling them "girlfriend") jeans are the fave style of choice. I love mine.:D I live in jeans and my 3 fave styles are, skinny, boyfriend, and Capri pants in denim. Mostly distressed and in all colors of washes...black, blue, white, pink, etc.

I respectfully disagree...I'm 70 years old and I'm very much attracted to distressed clothing and have been for years. My DS just sent out of picture he took of me in the camo-print duster I recently bought at Forever XXI on his Snapchat because he really liked me in it and he love's to post pictures of his mom looking "cool" (his word not mine). LOL! Age is nothing but a number. JMHO :D

I love your attititude and agree with you wholeheartedly ... I hate it when you see those articles about fashion for the over 30's, 40's etc etc. Like you suddenly wake up on your 30th or whatever birthday and all the clothes you wore yesterday suddenly don't suit you ????

I'm 43 and I wear what I feel like wearing ... Ripped jeans, biker jackets, band t-shirts or pretty 50's dresses ... My mum is 63 and we share our clothes quite often. Age doesn't define what we like fashion is for everyone

Be a flamingo in a flock of pigeons :D

P.s I really want to see this camo coat now

• 3 months later...
Hey, I've seen lots of embroidered jeans coming in the catalogs. I still have a pair from the last time they came back in the early 2000s - may have to put them back in rotation!! In my cedar chest of past treasures, I do still have my embroidered denim shirt from the 70s :D

Back in the 70s, I wore jeans skiing ONCE. I never felt so cold and clammy in my life!!!

I like the embroidered look. I have one pair with an all-over embroidered design, which I bought years ago, and an embroidered denim shirt as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Rompers are very big now.. and even Men's fashion rompers are in here in DC!!

Those men's rompers just make me laugh. We do see guys up here all the time in their bicycling "onesies" - still waiting for someone to be seen walking around in the new romper!

Thinking ahead - this could be a good summer style for a plumber ;p